E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Halogen "Non Projector" Specific Angel Eyes

I posted this question to the lighting vendors in the "Ask a sponsor" subforum. Now I will pose the question here to everyone in hopes someone might have some helpful information.

I am in search of a North American Source for LED Angel Eyes specifically designed/sized for the Stock "Non Projector" Halogen lights. Our friends across the sea in Europe have access to these types of Angel Eye kits and I was hoping that someone here in the states might know how I can get my hands on them.

I am aware that the standard kits all of our sponsors sell are first rate and will install fine in the stock halogen headlights. However, the one thing that I do not like is that these kits use the same size for all the rings. This leaves a gap between the edge of the reflector bowl and the Angel Eye itself as evidenced in the following picture(s). Some aren't bothered by the gap but its a deal breaker for me knowing that there are kits out there that in my opinion fit better.
(Please note that this is not a slam of any sponsor's product and the picture(s) included here are for size references only to better describe what I am saying)

Now here are some pictures of a kit with a rings specifically sized for the halogen reflector bowls.

As you can see the with the LED kit shown here that is offered to our European friends the rings closely match the reflector bowls and, in my opinion, offer a "cleaner look".

If it was up to me I would order the kit from the Europen Vendor and be done with it http://www.xenonkungen.com/en/art/bm...angel-eyes.php BUT... They only ship within Europe AND I would prefer a stock OEM type of "color" ~4300K. I understand that the kit I have linked to may be of inferior quality to the ones our sponsors have designed and worked hard on sourcing but for me I am willing to forgo quality for fitment at this point.

Has anyone here in the states purchased an LED kit with 145mm and 130mm rings? OEM yellow type of "color" preferred. Please let me know.

Yes I know I am picky but Ive seen the halogen sized rings (CCFL) in person this past spring at a meet (never got a chance to talk to the owner) and loved how they fit and looked. I am looking for that same look/fit in LED for obvious reasons.

EDIT: PRODUCT FOUND!
F1 Autohaüs was the only vendor to step up and provide me with what I was looking for.
Kudos to Mike@F1Autohaüs!!

Last edited by GCoop; 01-10-2010 at 06:30 PM.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Jonas Gotesson

My Ride: BMW 320i M 4dr -01

I hope someone have, or some company that will make some, like this in the OEM type of color.And right sizes.

Last edited by Jonas Gotesson; 12-15-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Jonas Gotesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
GCoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Gotesson View Post

I hope someone have, or some company that will make some, like this in the OEM type of color.
I thought you might Jonas .. Hope you dont mind that I used some of your pictures.

So that makes at least two potential customers for the Halogen specific sized rings in the OEM "Yellow" Color.

Any other stock halogen folks interested in Angel Eye rings specifically sized for the reflector bowls?

Maybe if there is enough interest it might make it easier for one of the sponsors to source these as an option...
Old 12-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Jonas Gotesson

Okey...To day I haved measure the rings and they are 145mm and 131mm in diameters.
The 131mm ring can be some millimetre bigger, about 135mm to be completely perfect.

I hope some sponsor/company read this ,and make some OEM Led "Yellow" Color AE´s know
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
GCoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Gotesson View Post
Okey...To day I haved measure the rings and they are 145mm and 131mm in diameters.
The 131mm ring can be some millimetre bigger, about 135mm to be completely perfect.

I hope some sponsor/company read this ,and make some OEM Led "Yellow" Color AE´s know
Thanks for the verification Jonas. Looks to me that anything bigger than 131mm might start to become occluded by the headlight trim. That is probably why they settled on the 131mm size for the high beams.

I would really like to see these sizes in a OEM "yellow" type of color as well. Do you know who the manufacturer of your kit is? We might try to contact them directly to see if they offer these sizes of rings in that color rather than the "White".
Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Jonas Gotesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
Thanks for the verification Jonas. Looks to me that anything bigger than 131mm might start to become occluded by the headlight trim. That is probably why they settled on the 131mm size for the high beams.

I would really like to see these sizes in a OEM "yellow" type of color as well. Do you know who the manufacturer of your kit is? We might try to contact them directly to see if they offer these sizes of rings in that color rather than the "White".
I don´t know who the manufacturer of mine kit is.And the company that I bought mine from ,said to me that they was forced to take home minimum 100pair, if manufacturer could fix more yellow Leds.

It´s a little sad that a company here have OEM like AE´s, but not the right sizes.
How difficult can it be to make the rings bigger

The track car.

Last edited by Jonas Gotesson; 12-18-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
MLAM

My Ride: BMW 325i Sport
Damn I didn't know that,

Does the Umnitza Orion V2's have this issue then when installed on a E46 with standard OEM Halogen lamps (Non projector)?

I ask as I am very tempted to order a set but I think this issue would bug me should it exist (I'm quite fussy)
MLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
umnitza
877•486•6489

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
http://www.umnitza.com/umnitza-orion...on-p-5686.html

this might fit your bill.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:00 AM   #9
Jonas Gotesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAM View Post
Damn I didn't know that,

Does the Umnitza Orion V2's have this issue then when installed on a E46 with standard OEM Halogen lamps (Non projector)?

I ask as I am very tempted to order a set but I think this issue would bug me should it exist (I'm quite fussy)
If you want it to look like the first two pictures in this thread...Go for it !
The rings have the same diameters in the set, the halogen have not the same diameters.

The track car.

Last edited by Jonas Gotesson; 12-27-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
MLAM

My Ride: BMW 325i Sport
Thanks for the reply,

Tempting, a pity they aren't available in OEM 4300K colour
MLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
UmnitzaSupport
Sponsor

My Ride: 1995 m3
The Orion V2 Gold is a better option for those looking for the more OE Color.

Here is a link to the product:
http://www.umnitza.com/umnitza-preda...es-p-1198.html

Call Tim K. 877 486 6489
Email Konstantin D. umnitzaship@gmail.com
Available: 9am-5pm M-F
UmnitzaSupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
Jonas Gotesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmnitzaSupport View Post
The Orion V2 Gold is a better option for those looking for the more OE Color.

Here is a link to the product:
http://www.umnitza.com/umnitza-preda...es-p-1198.html
I hade bought it, if they have better fitment to the reflektor bowl.

The track car.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
allthem

My Ride: 2001 325xi
I have a 2001 3-series sedan and am definitely interested in the Orion Aurora edition, but would like to see some pics of them installed, a good close up would be nice as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
david @ eas
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthem View Post
I have a 2001 3-series sedan and am definitely interested in the Orion Aurora edition, but would like to see some pics of them installed, a good close up would be nice as well.
I would go for the real Auroras with no gaps . Here's a good up and close, hi-resolution picture for you:

And here are some on a Halogen housing:

Best of all, no gaps with the up and close picture! I hope that helps.
david @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
UmnitzaSupport
Sponsor

My Ride: 1995 m3
Quote:
We shipped a few sets today, someone will be posting them up surely.

These are less gap and fit better for Halogen setups if you are particular about it. I like the Orion V2 personally better but if you are worried about gaps, this is a better solution for you.

They are very bright, just as bright as the competition rings but not as expensive.

Call Tim K. 877 486 6489
Email Konstantin D. umnitzaship@gmail.com
Available: 9am-5pm M-F
UmnitzaSupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #16
GCoop

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
I would go for the real Auroras with no gaps . Here's a good up and close, hi-resolution picture for you:

Best of all, no gaps with the up and close picture! I hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmnitzaSupport View Post
We shipped a few sets today, someone will be posting them up surely.

These are less gap and fit better for Halogen setups if you are particular about it. I like the Orion V2 personally better but if you are worried about gaps, this is a better solution for you.

They are very bright, just as bright as the competition rings but not as expensive.
OFF TOPIC.....

Moving back to the thread topic....

A vendor has stepped up and supplied me with a Non projector halogen specific kit. It appears that the non projector specific ring sizes are currently only available in the "White" color. (Sorry Jonas--I believe I received the same exact kit that you have) Oh well, cant win em all. Fitment is more important to me than color at this point. I will have a full review of the product and the vendor in the coming days.

I have to say that out off all the vendors that supply lighting products only one really tried to help me out and supply me with what I wanted. Frankly I was a little disappointed.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:23 AM   #17
allthem

My Ride: 2001 325xi
^ Sorry if u thought i got off topic. I'm really looking for the same thing u are, a Non projector halogen specific kit, and cant wait to see your review.

^^^ jurrian, those pics are nice and the AE's look great on the p46 but on the halogen they are not quite right.

Last edited by allthem; 12-29-2009 at 04:58 AM.
allthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
GCoop

Quote:
^ Sorry if u thought i got off topic. I'm really looking for the same thing u are, a Non projector halogen specific kit, and cant wait to see your review.

^^^ jurrian, those pics are nice and the AE's look great on the p46 but on the halogen they are not quite right.
Sorry, this wasnt really directed at you.

I just dont want this thead to become another "vendor war" and have the main topic completely obscured. From the messages I have recieved I know there are others that feel the same way as I do about stock halogen fitment and I want this thread to serve as a resource for those folks to help them find what they are looking for.

I was able to finally get them installed after getting a day of warmer weather and clearing enough of the snow out of my driveway for a work area. Here are a couple of crappy phone pics to tide you all over until my full review is complete.

EDIT: Just to be clear -- these phone pictures really do not do justice to the way the rings look in person. They are much brighter and the white color is much more crisp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_014.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	342785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_015.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	342786  

Last edited by GCoop; 12-29-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #19
EJL486

My Ride: E46, E34
GCoop, who is the vendor and what is the brand (product title)? I also have the stock halogens and am not interested in upgrading to HID, but want clean and precise OEM-like fitment. I'd also like the yellowish versus hyperwhite as I feel the OEM look works better on Alpine White.

2003 325i 5MT Pics of Car
1995 530i 5MT
1986 535i 5MT sold
http://www.bmwusfactory.com
http://www.thebmwpartstore.com
PSN: EJL486 - Actively Playing: GT5, Battlefield 3, Madden '12
EJL486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #20
GCoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJL486 View Post
GCoop, who is the vendor and what is the brand (product title)? I also have the stock halogens and am not interested in upgrading to HID, but want clean and precise OEM-like fitment. I'd also like the yellowish versus hyperwhite as I feel the OEM look works better on Alpine White.
When the vendor first approached me they asked that I keep their name quiet until I had a chance to get the product and evaluate it. I am sure they have thier reasons so I am respecting that. I have asked if it was OK now to mention them by name and I am currently awaiting a response.

EJL, since you are not currently interested in converting over to a projector type setup, like myself, this new offering is going to be the only kit currently out there that will satisfy your requirements for a "clean, precise OEM-like fitment". Right now (Dec-09) this particular kit is only available in the white "color" so you will have to decide what you want the most. Color or Fitment.

I will save much of the specifics for my coming review but I will say that so far (Only installed for 2 days as of 12-29-2009) I am completely satisfied with the product I have recieved. The rings (2 Low beam sized reflector bowl rings and 2 High beam sized reflector bowl rings) fit my non-projector halogen lights just like I wanted. Look almost as good when they are turned off as when they are on. When the rings are sized like these are it is very hard to tell that the rings are not part of the headlights themselves. You really have to look close. The casual observer walking by you car in a parking lot would never know. The rings are fine as far as brightness is concerned. I wouldnt want anything brighter. The kit came with all the standard accesories (Remote type relay wiring harness, clips w/teeth, double sided tape, 2 T-Taps).

From all the personal research I had done before being contacted by the vendor it was apparent that the different manufacturers making the E46 halogen specific sized rings were just getting into offering these sized rings in LED. You can find CCFL non-projector sized rings from these and many more manufacturers all day long. My hope is that as time moves along these manufacturers will start to offer a more OEM type color of LEDs on these same rings.

For me, fitment was more important than the color so I went ahead and agreed to purchase and try out this kit knowing that in the future if a more OEM "yellow" color was ever offered I would just have to swap out the rings and be done with it.

So, in the meantime, I now have those purdy rings on the front that makes all the kiddies turn their heads. In a way its a little sad that I have become so wrapped up in trying to find a needle in a haystack so to speak. They are just plastic rings that light up after all. But I saw CCFL rings specifically sized for the non-projector E46 halogens some time ago, loved how they looked both on and off, and have been searching for a comprable LED setup ever since. I am happy to say that my wait (except for "color") is finally over.

EDIT: Special thanks to E46 Fanatics user-Jonas Gottesson whose uploaded pictures recenly proved to me that LED rings specifically sized for Non-Projector Halogen lights do, infact, exist. This is what inspired my renewed search.

Last edited by GCoop; 12-29-2009 at 03:50 PM.