E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Messe46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York/Burlington
Posts: 674
My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
G-Power Chip

I have searched using a bunch of different "key words" and came up with nothing. I was wondering if anyone has used and/or know anyone using a G-Power chip. They claim that a 325i will gain ~13hp with the chip only and ~18hp with the chip, intake and "rear silencer" (I have to imagine they mean exhaust, but I'm not 100% sure). You would have to email them for the prices.The site is listed below. Let me know, thanks.

http://www.g-power.de/952.html?L=1&c...#Produkt_Start
__________________
-Mike

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Messe46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York/Burlington
Posts: 674
My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
/bump
__________________
-Mike

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Rob43
OEM ///Member
 
Rob43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,311
My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe46 View Post
I have searched using a bunch of different "key words" and came up with nothing. I was wondering if anyone has used and/or know anyone using a G-Power chip. They claim that a 325i will gain ~13hp with the chip only and ~18hp with the chip, intake and "rear silencer"
No. I don't believe it, also those HP numbers are crank & not at the wheel.
Call Active Autowerke's and ask them how much there software makes for
your car, then ask if that number is at the wheel. Then have them Email you
the dyno chart for your car. Turner Motorsport shows a dyno for your car
using the Shark Injector, 5.2hp & 5.5tq (software only), then 7.9hp & 6.3tq
with a intake, but they fail to mention if these numbers are at the crank or
rear wheels. You will usually lose between 17% and maybe as much as 20%
from the crank to the wheels. If you do buy the G-Power chip make sure you
dyno your car without & then with, so you can tell us about your results, and
the Lawsuit you bring against them for lying.

Merry Xmas,
Rob
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
I*do*Werke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dela-where?
Posts: 613
My Ride: E46 --> E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
No. I don't believe it, also those HP numbers are crank & not at the wheel.
Call Active Autowerke's and ask them how much there software makes for
your car, then ask if that number is at the wheel. Then have them Email you
the dyno chart for your car. Turner Motorsport shows a dyno for your car
using the Shark Injector, 5.2hp & 5.5tq (software only), then 7.9hp & 6.3tq
with a intake, but they fail to mention if these numbers are at the crank or
rear wheels. You will usually lose between 17% and maybe as much as 20%
from the crank to the wheels. If you do buy the G-Power chip make sure you
dyno your car without & then with, so you can tell us about your results, and
the Lawsuit you bring against them for lying.

Merry Xmas,
Rob
Dyno graphs measure power at the wheels
__________________
^M52B28 Swapped E30^
I*do*Werke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Rob43
OEM ///Member
 
Rob43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,311
My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by I*do*Werke View Post
Dyno graphs measure power at the wheels
NO THEY DON'T. Your making a very bad Assumption. Before the chassis
dyno there was the Engine dyno. I know a local speed shop that still uses
a engine dyno. Also all of these manufactures use Crank figures for ALL of
there HP numbers, it's much more impressive for BMW to show us that a 330ci
makes 225 hp than the 180 to 190 it really makes at the WHEEL. E46 M3, BMW
says 333hp but everyone knows it's really between 265 & 275 at the wheels.
SO if "dyno graphs measure power at the wheels" as you say, than EVERY
MANUFACTURER including BMW are lying to us.

Oh and Merry Xmas,
Rob
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
I*do*Werke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dela-where?
Posts: 613
My Ride: E46 --> E30
wow your a cocky mother fvcker
__________________
^M52B28 Swapped E30^
I*do*Werke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
iDriftYou
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UCR/SoCal
Posts: 785
My Ride: is a HighWay monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
NO THEY DON'T. Your making a very bad Assumption. Before the chassis
dyno there was the Engine dyno. I know a local speed shop that still uses
a engine dyno. Also all of these manufactures use Crank figures for ALL of
there HP numbers, it's much more impressive for BMW to show us that a 330ci
makes 225 hp than the 180 to 190 it really makes at the WHEEL. E46 M3, BMW
says 333hp but everyone knows it's really between 265 & 275 at the wheels.
SO if "dyno graphs measure power at the wheels" as you say, than EVERY
MANUFACTURER including BMW are lying to us.

Oh and Merry Xmas,
Rob
This is where you are wrong. Who the fawk takes time to take the engine out and measure crank HP? All newer dynos measure HP at the wheels. Please ignore this guy.
__________________
-Shehroz


Current: 1990 Toyota Supra
Mods: CP pistons/ Eagle rods/ HKS MHG/ 264 Cams/ Rebuilt CT26
Future: GT35r
My DIY:
DIY ZF 5HP19 Transmission Drain/ Refill : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...12#post9551712


"My life doesn't only move in a straight line, why should my car?"
iDriftYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
Rob43
OEM ///Member
 
Rob43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,311
My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriftYou View Post
This is where you are wrong. Who the fawk takes time to take the engine out and measure crank HP? All newer dynos measure HP at the wheels. Please ignore this guy.
Hey smarty, what do you think, that BMW, FORD, CHEVY, HARLEY DAVIDSON,
HONDA, TOYOTA.......the list is as long as your arm, MAGICALLY go from the
drawing board to an engine in a chassis ? All these manufactures make a lot
of different prototypes of there engines and run them ON A ENGINE DYNO
at the factory until they get engine to run the way they want it to. Including
the CRANK HP. Then it goes into the vehicle. You really need to do some research
before you go shoot'n your mouth off. Try "Google" you'll learn a lot,
then you can give people your so called expertise.

Rob

Last edited by Rob43; 12-14-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
I*do*Werke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dela-where?
Posts: 613
My Ride: E46 --> E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Hey smarty, what do you think, that BMW, FORD, CHEVY, HARLEY DAVIDSON,
HONDA, TOYOTA.......the list is as long as your arm, MAGICALLY go from the
drawing board to an engine in a chassis ? All these manufactures make a lot
of different prototypes of there engines and run them ON A ENGINE DYNO
at the factory until they get engine to run the way they want it to. Including
the CRANK HP. Then it goes into the vehicle. You really need to do some research
before you go shoot'n your mouth off. Try "Google" you'll learn a lot,
then you can give people your so called expertise.

Rob
The OP was asking if the tuning company's statements on hp gain were true. I highly doubt that they would take the motor out to dyno the engine with the performance software. I would also like to see the dyno graphs which you claim to have measured crank hp.

Oh and Merry Christmas, douche bag
__________________
^M52B28 Swapped E30^

Last edited by I*do*Werke; 12-14-2009 at 03:54 PM.
I*do*Werke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Messe46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York/Burlington
Posts: 674
My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
Quote:
Originally Posted by I*do*Werke View Post
The OP was asking if the tuning company's statements on hp gain were true. I highly doubt that they would take the motor out to dyno the engine with the performance software. I would also like to see the dyno graphs which you claim to have measured crank hp.

Oh and Merry Christmas, douche bag
That is what I'm asking, thank you. I'm basically wondering how this software compares to others on the market. (ie: Conforti, Dinan, etc.)
I do thank everyone for any relevant information they contributed. But if anyone wants to argue about a dyno, you can leave my thread and start their own.
__________________
-Mike

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Rob43
OEM ///Member
 
Rob43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,311
My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Back to the OP's original question, "if the tuning company's statements on hp gain were true". This is what they do. A company like G-Power, K&N, Conforti,......and so on, develop there performance product and dyno it on a
chassis dyno repeatedly. That "company" might pull 30,50, and even 100 or more different dyno runs, (they have the time & the money) at different temp's humidity and so on trying to get the absolute One Time Best HP number. When they finally get that one "best number", they take it and use a CALCULATION to go from wheel HP back
to Crank HP,(in this case 13hp) unless other wise stated. The crank HP number is bigger and more impressive, thus making you want to buy there product even more, not realizing that this number is not the real world "wheel horse power"
number.

Today i placed 2 calls, one to Harold Lin at HP Autowerks 805-892-2000, and
Chris at Horse Power Freaks "HPF" 503-256-5600. After talking to both
company's, both Chris and Harold agreed with me. Chris went on to say that
there 800 Hp M3 which is 800 at the wheels could be claimed to make hundreds more HP if they used a crank HP number to really impress everyone.

OP please go ahead and buy your 13hp tune, but if & when you chassis
dyno it and only get 3,4, or 5hp on your 325xi 2.5L, don't say know one
warned you.

Rob
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
I*do*Werke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dela-where?
Posts: 613
My Ride: E46 --> E30
haha
__________________
^M52B28 Swapped E30^
I*do*Werke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #13
tylerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: iowa
Posts: 141
My Ride: 330ci
lets do some math.

13 hp. lets say they are saying this is fwhp, 15-20% drivetrain loss, figure on the high side at 20
13*.80= 10.4 HP

now this is assuming that drive train loss goes up liniarly with more power, which is arguably not true (your drive shaft wheels etc... will not take more HP to turn just because your car is making more HP, some friction losses will)

It is chip mfg's lying, not them taking an engine out of a car, not trying to justify it as FWHP. Its marketing.

Newer cars are tuned pretty well from the factory, I haven't ever seen a chip make more then about 10hp except on highly modified cars. BMW's I heard of much less then 10 hp. I would love to see dyno results for this one though
tylerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #14
Rob43
OEM ///Member
 
Rob43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,311
My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
Its marketing........

Newer cars are tuned pretty well from the factory, I haven't ever seen a chip make more then about 10hp except on highly modified cars. BMW's I heard of much less then 10 hp. I would love to see dyno results for this one though
You never will see a dyno, at least one that we can trust. Good job tylerc
your right. OP this was never an attack on you or your tread, i like tylerc,
are just trying to show you that if every other software tuner out there selling
a tune for the NA E46/325 2.5L can only make a few HP, It's not likely (more
like marketing) that G-power can. If your serious about getting the best tune
for your Bimmer, call VAC Motorsports- Philadelphia PA, they're probably the closest to your
location that can really tune your car including in house dyno service for a true custom tune.

http://www.vacmotorsports.com/

Rob
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use