E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Transporter99

My Ride: Audi A5 3.2/6MT
Smile UUC/ Wilwood Brakes installed

After my front right caliper gave me fits for the last 3 months, I decided to move forward with a performance brake kit. I ordered the 4 piston Wilwood calipers, with 325mm (12.8") BMW Motorsport floating rotors (drilled), and SS lines. The few people I know with this kit had glowing things to say about it, so I decided to give it a whirl!

Sure, there are "Bigger" brake kits out there, and it was tempting when looking at Brembo's 380mm (14.9") brake kit. Even kits with 13.5" rotors. But I need versatility, as well as performance and value. It would have been challenging to impossible to use winter 17" wheels, with 13.5-15" rotors! Not all of us live in Texas, Florida or California, lol.

The install process, from the mouth of my mechanic, was pretty straight forward. Aside from finding out I somehow incurred a small crack on one of my Hartge wheels (fixed), and sourcing 6.5mm spacers, all went well. The brake feel is surprisingly OEM. I was anticipating a firm pedal feel, with a "grabby" braking nature. However, brake modulation was very easy and predicatable with no fuss!

I chose matte black finish on the calipers for a more "stealth" look. I know it sort of belies the "other" purpose in getting a BBK (for show, as well as stop). But, I felt Red was too showy for my tastes on a lightly modified car. That and I would've needed the rear BBK, or had the OEM rear calipers painted to match. If I change the color in the future, it'll be silver.

So, stuck caliper issue from OEM brakes = gone. UUC was extremely classy throughout the process, from giving shipping correspondence to overnighting a stainles steel brake line that was defective. I'm abiding by the break-in period, and hope to have more to report later.

Thanks for reading, and have a safe holiday season! Drive safely!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-12-22_16.08.02.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	342360  

Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Similar thoughts but i experienced pedal feel that was noticably firmer than OEM. Maybe it was my the 65k miles I had on the original pads/rotors.

For others, here's a tip. Don't order the floating rotor option. Just get the slotted option and then buy the OEM M3 Euro Floating rotors. Same thing as the slotted rotors. So basically you get the slotted rotors + drilled floating rotors for the same price as the kit w/just floating rotors.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Mirko

My Ride: Your girlfriend :)
Congrats! Welcome to the club

I had fun installing mine! You missed out!!

I am running the 6 piston kit with slotted rotors in the front and I really like it. Much better bite in the wet/snow.
Mirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
awesome kit matte black looks great too

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
teammac

My Ride: 323Cic
Send a message via MSN to teammac
They look sweet! I have just ordered mine and am awaiting delivery and installation. I personally prefer the look of the Wilwood logo and love UUC's products; they are one of the few companies who have consitently spent time and effort to ensure their products were quality and described well.

I simply cannot wait to get mine installed.
Alpine VHub|JL Audio 500/1 v2|JL 450/4 v2|Focals 130 K2P|Focal 110 KP|JL 8W7 Sub|Alpine IVA-W205|BlackBirdNavigation|SR7 Radar Detector|ZR3 Shifter|OZ Ultraleggera|UUC Pedals|WilWood BBK|Bilstein PSS Coilovers|Sway Barbarian's|UUC Short Shifter EVO3|UUC FCAB
teammac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
BigStoke

My Ride: 2000 E46 328i
Good job, how much did you spend?

BigStoke
'00 328i
'07 CBR1000RR
'05 Altima SE 3.5
'73 K20 4X4

- Stoke
BigStoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
kaotek323i

My Ride: red 1999 323i
[QUOTE=
For others, here's a tip. Don't order the floating rotor option. Just get the slotted option and then buy the OEM M3 Euro Floating rotors. Same thing as the slotted rotors. So basically you get the slotted rotors + drilled floating rotors for the same price as the kit w/just floating rotors.[/QUOTE]

i had no idea that option was possible.. i guess ill be ordering some euro m3 floating rotors when mine are spent..
VF stage1, v2 compressor w/ v1 internals, ebay headers
kaotek323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotek323i View Post
i had no idea that option was possible.. i guess ill be ordering some euro m3 floating rotors when mine are spent..
I believe the price difference on the 6 piston/4 wheel kit is about $800 between the slotted and the drilled.

I think UUC zinc coats the drilled rotors (the slotted are zinc coated) so you will miss out on that if you buy the OEM M3 euro rotors.

I'm pretty sure you can use any non-ZCP OEM M3 rotor. Blanks or drilled. Another great feature about this BBK!

But pad options are a PIA. Most of them will come with a bolt hole at the top of the pad. You have to grind out a notch to fit under the bridge. At least that's what you need to do if you get the Performance Friction pads.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Transporter99

My Ride: Audi A5 3.2/6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko
Congrats! Welcome to the club

I had fun installing mine! You missed out!!

I am running the 6 piston kit with slotted rotors in the front and I really like it. Much better bite in the wet/snow.
Thanks, man.

I wish I had the time to install mine. The instructions didn't look bad at all. I salivated over the 6-piston, but couldn't justify it with only 204hp on my car, lol. BUT, I'm sure it still looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider
awesome kit matte black looks great too
Danke! Yeah, I really like the matte black more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teammac
They look sweet! I have just ordered mine and am awaiting delivery and installation. I personally prefer the look of the Wilwood logo and love UUC's products; they are one of the few companies who have consitently spent time and effort to ensure their products were quality and described well.

I simply cannot wait to get mine installed.
Be prepared to go outside, and stare at them for no true reason, lol.

Funny thing behind the "wilwood" logo is that I actually ordered it with the UUC logo. But, my order was fudged and they came with "Wilwood." No complaints from me, as I actually had some remorse after ordering and kinda wanted the wilwood logo anyway. Things happen for a reason!

My friend Alec (HiItsmeAlec) ordered his nearly 2 years ago with "Wilwood," and got "UUC." But, we were both satisfied with the look, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStoke
Good job, how much did you spend?
Enough. lol!

Check out UUC's website to get an idea of pricing, options and fitment.

Bigjae, thanks for posting some useful info on the rotors. I'll have to keep that in mind when I upgrade the rears, and replace rotors in the front years down the road!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
Cinna

My Ride: M3C
Send a message via AIM to Cinna
i thought UUC switched to alcon...like a year ago
Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
bigjae1976

They have a budget minded wilwood kit and a more performance oriented kit from alcon.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #12
e46JAB

My Ride: Titan over Tannin
Looks great. Hopefully when my brakes need to be replacing I can go with this kit.