E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
BMWstudent

My Ride: hates potholes
2001 330i sport.... which coils should I go for?

Hey guys, I would like to ask a favor. I'm new to doing suspension and I'm at a bit of a cross road. I bought my car in September to be a daily driver, with the intent on buying a clean e30 shell to put a great deal of parts that i have laying around into. (by a 'great deal' i mean complete suspension, interior, m30 swap, lighting, and wheels) but I've decided that I love my e46 so much that I want to just focus on one car while I'm still in college and I've been selling off parts to pay for stuff for the e46.

My suspension is currently garbage... the PO was a .... twerp... for lack of more NSFW terminology. And so my FCAB, ball joints, tie rods, rear shocks and driver side front shock all need to be replaced. I've decided I want to go with the ESC tuning kit for the front end... get some Meyle stuff in there and replacible ball joints on better control arms... but I'm not so sure about shocks.

I really want this car to drive and handle well. I'm not going to touch the motor for the next two years, but I still want to have fun. I'm looking to get a suspension system that will help me to accomplish this. I don't care too much for overall comfort... i'm not a little old lady that has a basket full of eggs, I'm a 22 year old male that avoids pot holes like the plague.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I've thought about a PSS9 system (i don't think i need that extra amount of adjust that you get from the 10's) and I've though about FKs, KWs and a few others, but I'm looking for personal experiences to help make up my mind. I have a budget of about 1200 once i sell my m30 on the 28th, so I feel like I have a good number of options. I would totally consider used stuff too as long as it was still in good shape. I also plan on doing sway bars in April or March and suggestions for those would be nice as well.

The reason for coils and not just getting new shocks: i want to go lower (but not low for the sake of it... first and foremost is performance) but I'll be in Germany for almost a year and when I'm gone my dad will be taking care of my car, and he is not nearly as careful about potholes and other issues and I want to raise the car back up for when he has it. -for the record, he had no part in buying it, or any of my other cars.

Thanks! -also, if anyone has new or used suspension they're looking to sell, please PM me
BMWstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
After reading the whole thing, first thing I gotta say is that every time you raise the car up or lower it, you need to get an alignment which is ~$100 depending where you go, and you will need an alignment when you first install them so figure an extra $100 into your fund.

If you really want performance, but a used kit from GC, TC Kline, or AST. Anything above that is going to be pretty expensive, even used.

Btw, don't forget the tires are the only thing that connects the car to the road; if you have great suspension and shtty tires, it really won't make a difference.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
BMWstudent

Thanks! -i was anticipating an alignment anyway with the control arms and tie rods. I was hoping to do everything in a weekend and get an alignment on the Monday after.

I think part of the issue will be finding something thats available that I can afford in the next few weeks. I may end up having to just sit on the money for a while and wait for a setup to come along.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Monitor the suspension classified section. Always good deals there.

Picked up my GC coil's from there.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
i would suggest the pss9's or kw's, both are adjustable so u can have it set at whatever u find is best for u
Old 12-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
BMWstudent

Thanks guys! I think I'll be selling my m30 swap this monday... and then its merry christmas suspension!