E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
king kong

My Ride: mid-engine
When old Porsche's go boom (my rebuild)

History on the car
My dad has owned the car for 25+ years (longer than he’s had me).

It’s a 1962 Porsche 356 Roadster. The roadster is the successor to the Speedster which many of you have heard of. It has a revised suspension, and a plush interior compared to the Speedsters. It has roll up windows, standard seats instead of buckets, but it’s still stripped out compared to a standard 356 in the sense that there’s no back seat, glove box, and has a removable windshield. It was pretty much the gt3 of its day. Porsche made roadsters from 60-62, but the 62’s were the only ones that were “twin grills” because there are two grills on the rear deck lid as opposed to one. In 1962, Porsche made roughly 250 roadsters, and from what we understand, only about 14 had the super 90 motors. The standard motor in a 356 makes around 60hp, while the super 90 makes 90hp. I know what you’re thinking: “Porsche got really creative with naming with naming things.” I know, I know. lol. Porsche also offered carrera motors that were 4 cam motors and generated more power, but these generally were too expensive to maintain for street use, so the super 90 was the motor of choice. Our car is one of the original 14 super 90 Roadsters. By tracking down previous owners we’ve determined that the car was originally used as a track car and raced in small local events. When my dad received the car it had fender flares and was still in its racing configuration. After a long long restoration he returned it to its original street condition which it remains today. The car was rebuilt entirely with original Porsche parts, and was concoured for a few years before my dad parked it in the garage when my sister was born. A few years ago we decided to get the car back on the road and drive it. Since then we’ve driven it up to Monterey on Laguna Secca and up and down Southern California.

We typically drive it about once a week to Cars and Coffee in Irvine and just enjoy being lucky enough to own such a piece of history, and that’s where our story starts...

This past Saturday my father and I were driving to Cars and Coffee like we normally do. The car has speedster gearing in it and loves to go fast. I was cruising around 4k rpm going 85mph like I normally do when all the sudden I got a bad vibration from the back of the car (where the motor is). I instantly pull the car into the break down land and turn the motor off. I could hear a clanking metallic noise coming from the engine and knew the car was going to need to be towed home. A handful of our friends saw us, and proceeded to pull over to make sure we were ok. After some discussion it was thought it was most likely something to do with the clutch possibly coming apart and we all assumed it wasn’t anything major especially because the motor only has 5k miles on it since being rebuilt with NOS components.

king kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
king kong

That afternoon we towed it over to our mechanic who agreed to take a look for us. Two hours later he called us up and told us we should come in to tell us the news. In the two hours he had the car up on a lift and the motor out of the car. He informed us that we snapped the crank shaft, and that most likely the radiuses were improperly ground when it was machined causing stress points and ultimately what I’m left with today.

While if this were a normal engine it would be easier to find the parts for the Super 90 parts are pretty much nonexistent. So what we agreed to do is to pull the motor out of our other 356 (also a super 90) disassemble it, check the crank, rebuild it, and place it in the roadster why we looked for another crank. Our other 356 is a ’63 sunroof coupe with a super 90 motor and my father is only the 2nd owner of this car.

Today we started the day by going to check out one of our friends business partner's 2010 gt3 cup car that was delivered to him earlier this week

Back to the project.
My dad’s been sending a lot of business the way of our mechanic so when we asked if it would be alright if I did a lot of the work on the engines so that I can learn how he agreed. Today he came over to our house and we pulled the motor out of our coupe and I began disassembling it.

it's a lot easier than i expected and probably only took us an hour to do.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
king kong

carbs and much of the engine sheet metal removed

Fan assembly removed

and here's how I left it for the day

Tomorrow I’ll finish taking it all apart and start cleaning every piece on it. Updates 2 come.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
very cool, so whats gonna happen 2 the speedster?

the coupe is pretty awesome, ive never seen a porsche like that b4
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
So Lowww

My Ride: E36M
thats fcuking awesome!!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
jenewein

My Ride: 323i
Wow your family has such a cool appreciation for good cars!
Looking forward to updates on this thread. I'm hoping that your engine will be covered under some sort of warranty since it was the fault of the engine builder?
Old 12-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #7
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
So boss.

Amazing how easily you can take an old car's engine out.

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
king kong

thanks for the responses guys. Unfortinutely the crank was probably purchased about 30 years ago so trying to track down who we bought it from and getting any sort of money back isn't even worth pursuing.

The roadster is going to get the engine out of the coupe that I'm taking apart, for now (so that we have a car that runs) and once we find the parts to rebuild the grenaded engine, i'll do that and put the coupe's motor back where it belongs.

My dad's done his best to help me understand and appreciate older cars for what they are and what makes them so unique, especially when you compare them to any newer cars. For example, I've never seen another super 90 roadster other than ours, but I've seen half of the Gumpert Apollo's in the united states (2/4), and probably any other super car you could name including an fxx, all types of bugattis, ferarri 250 gto, lambo murcielago sv, sitting in the new mercedes SLS gullwing, etc.

Alright, goin to bed now, but should have some updates and more pics tomorrow night.

Last edited by king kong; 12-29-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:33 AM   #9
Titan 3

My Ride: E46 325ci ~ E92 328i
Send a message via AIM to Titan 3
Beautiful cars! It's cool you have a mechanic looking over your shoulder.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:39 AM   #10
xtestifyx

My Ride: lol wut?
Wow this is amazing, what kind of History you and your father are going through!

No disrespect, but:
http://straysworld.com/video/spackle.wmv
xtestifyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:02 AM   #11
DevilDoc87

My Ride: 328Ci 323Ci
Nice cars. Got any pictures of the Challenger in the garage?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:09 AM   #12
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
very cool
Old 12-29-2009, 03:21 AM   #13
alexbenz

My Ride: E30, Es300
Send a message via AIM to alexbenz
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtestifyx View Post
Wow this is amazing, what kind of History you and your father are going through!

No disrespect, but:
http://straysworld.com/video/spackle.wmv
ahahah, i was gonna say that too.......nice stuff going on...let there be life

Current line up........lexus es300, 2010 Acura Tsx
Your not a baller until you got a engine in the Rear...
How did i fail Women Studies?
"I Love Biatches"
alexbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 AM   #14
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Wicked Rebuild thread! Sorry to hear about the problems with your engine but hopefully you'll find the parts needed and get her back in running order. Cant wait to see the rest of the pics. GL
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #15
mpower_m3

My Ride: 335i M Sport
Send a message via MSN to mpower_m3
ohh when i see this i just want to get a 550 spyder replica built beautiful porsches you got there

08' 335i M Sport
00' MB E55 AMG

87' BMW E30 325e
99' BMW E46 323i - SOLD
05' TRD Aurion SL3500 - SOLD
mpower_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
InLoveWithE46

My Ride: e46 non-M, e36 ///M
Send a message via AIM to InLoveWithE46
Very nice, good luck!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 AM   #17
apollotrance1

My Ride: '02 330i, '05 GSXR1k
This is an awesome project, and I love these older Porsches. Why was the motor originally rebuilt with NOS components??? And it would be sick to find a older 911 motor and throw it into that coupe
apollotrance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Very nice keep it up.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #19
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
This is a great thread, keep us updated as you go along. I've wanted to build one of these for quite sometime although it may be more of a midlife crisis purchase
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #20
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
very cool thread....cool to get a insight in your relationship with your pops...its every boys dream...many kids aren't so lucky, especially nowadays.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote