E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
autoAER

My Ride: 03 325xi,08 335i
ebay headers

alright so I'm looking into getting a set of replica headers for my xi.

as far as installation goes, has anyone had these installed on their xi? since installation on the xi will be a bigger pain in the ass, how much will this cost in labor if i take it to a shop? also, im finding ZERO results for the ebay replica headers that are so famous for being under two hundred bucks. anyone have a link to a good replica set?

thanks in advance

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Popular subject but you may try searching on the General Forum. There is plenty-O-talk over there on your question. The XI offers a couple challenges. One would be fitment. The header bend and routing affects tight obstacle clearance. Things are different with the XI where only tested brands work. Secondly, the post O2 sensor "bung" can be a bugger to thread the sensor into on the XI. Some plug that one and weld on a new bung in a more serviceable location. A few Ebay brands allow the sensor to fit the XI. But you need to verify it before you order. Lastly, some give up and use O2 emulators to trick the system. Hopefully you know the result from headers and a low restriction exhaust system will take away from low-end pull where the slight benefit is noticed at high RPM? Some get this backwards expecting better off-idle grunt.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #3
autoAER

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Popular subject but you may try searching on the General Forum. There is plenty-O-talk over there on your question. The XI offers a couple challenges. One would be fitment. The header bend and routing affects tight obstacle clearance. Things are different with the XI where only tested brands work. Secondly, the post O2 sensor "bung" can be a bugger to thread the sensor into on the XI. Some plug that one and weld on a new bung in a more serviceable location. A few Ebay brands allow the sensor to fit the XI. But you need to verify it before you order. Lastly, some give up and use O2 emulators to trick the system. Hopefully you know the result from headers and a low restriction exhaust system will take away from low-end pull where the slight benefit is noticed at high RPM? Some get this backwards expecting better off-idle grunt.
Thanks for the response, I searched on the general forum but many people have different things to say, and none pertinent to the xi. I'm having trouble even finding any ebay sellers with results similar to the ones many people have posted on this site. The consensus is, and I quote kpeng's guide "don't pay more than 160-170 shipped for a set" now, I'm only finding the 500+ results from active autowerke and supersprint, and no results for the xi.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
autoAER

what do you guys think of this? I'm going to pull the trigger if its similar to what other members have gotten

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-01-04-06-...b1eacc&vxp=mtr

according to them, it fits the xi
Old 05-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Guest021715
Account closed.

You have a 325xi
My opinion: Accept it for what it is, and forget the headers.

Power gains are minimal, the PITA is huge, and the fumes now lingering around the cabin are carcinogenic.

There is no way to know if those headers fit until you get to the installation.
Even on a standard model they are known to fit poorly.
Guest021715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:50 AM   #6
autoAER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
You have a 325xi
My opinion: Accept it for what it is, and forget the headers.

Power gains are minimal, the PITA is huge, and the fumes now lingering around the cabin are carcinogenic.

There is no way to know if those headers fit until you get to the installation.
Even on a standard model they are known to fit poorly.
thanks for the response, I looked into it and i decided against it last week. i was just looking for a summer project/ something to make her sound a bit louder. you're right, its not worth it, neither in terms of power nor sound.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Justinz

My Ride: 09 335i xDrive
Well even though OP gave up I'm still on the hunt for these.
If anyone has a set for sale or finds an eBay listing please post it.

Last edited by Justinz; 06-29-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Justinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #8
tonysofresh613

My Ride: 04 greygreen 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoAER View Post
what do you guys think of this? I'm going to pull the trigger if its similar to what other members have gotten

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-01-04-06-...b1eacc&vxp=mtr

according to them, it fits the xi
totally not worth it for 1k on ebay wtf. I have some that i got that are brand new ebay headers but I never got around to installing them. seems way too hard installing for an XI because I hear you have to remove the axle.
tonysofresh613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
autoAER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinz View Post
Well even though OP gave up I'm still on the hunt for these.
If anyone has a set for sale or finds an eBay listing please post it.
I've looked a while for them, most sellers don't sell them for the xi. Also, if you are planning to do this yourself prepare for a hell storm

The muffler shop charges big bucks too.

End result? Not worth it, especially not worth it for a very small gain and pure sound

Muffler delete is a much better choice imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysofresh613 View Post
totally not worth it for 1k on ebay wtf. I have some that i got that are brand new ebay headers but I never got around to installing them. seems way too hard installing for an XI because I hear you have to remove the axle.
The link changed, it was a $100 supersprint replica for the xi when I posted it
Old 04-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
dragondrpr

My Ride: 03 325xi
Installed on my xi...
dragondrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
dragondrpr

No problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1430518556913.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	599307  
Old 05-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
Justinz

My Ride: 09 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondrpr View Post
No problem
You got a 325xi, how much louder is it, and what's the difference in power, big difference or not worth the time?

You had the lower the front subframe right?
Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #13
dragondrpr

You have to get the motor mount and the bracket out reason to lower subframe and on the mount I had a metal piece I had to knock off wouldn't fit with that piece on
Old 05-01-2015, 11:58 PM   #14
dragondrpr

It louder but not a bad sound ...
Old 05-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #15
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
And how did you deal with O2 sensor, bung mount angles etc? Seems to be a major XI challenge as some headers ship with mystery O2 mounts for I's.

After the headers are in, extending out the system with a lower restriction muffler, etc. is next. This will not necessarily add overall horsepower but will alter the Torque/HP curve up the rev scale. Should this theory prove true, drivers would feel less low-end take-off power but perhaps better pull at higher RPM. When headers are used in concert with other engine mods such as forced air, fuel mapping, or other engine management tweaks, header function and its power shift can be desirable. Remember Dinan and how they demonstrated dyno results with their stage kits? Probably slightly biased but you could get the idea that just doing exhaust wasn't going to get you there. Very few posts discuss the power affects from adding just headers so it may not be noticeable?

I see a couple things. Headers are not a must have for simply looking for a different exhaust tone. Headers are good if you have a "going all out" master plan but you may regret the effort required to install them for just a tone change? But for the more daring who have done this - bravo. Seriously, a fine wrenching and skill test.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:59 AM   #16
dragondrpr

Post O2 are close fit on xi removing some heat sheid and the inside header post 02 must be in a perfect angle away from the tranny