E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #21
Capt1014

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Year and body style: 2002 325xi
Setup being rated: Bilstein HD Shocks and Struts, H&R Springs
Additional aftermarket components:NA
Additional info: Car has about 1000 on this setup
Intended use of car: Daily Driver
Preferred ride style: Firm, but compliant. Northeast daily driver, took a little bit of time to get used to the bumps.
Coffee friendly....ONLY if you have a sippy top on it!

Would you recommend this setup? Yes, I love the difference in the handling, still comfortable and smooth at highway speeds, small bump at bridge crossings, no bouncing.
Ride comfort: 4 (stock is 5)
Handling: 7 (stock is 5)

Overkill is an often underrated state of achivement!
Capt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #22
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
Year and body style: 2003 330xi
Setup being rated: KW Variant 1 coilovers (lifetime warranty)
Adjustments: Ride height and alignment set to 330 ZHP specs.
Additional aftermarket components: 19x8.5 BBS with 225/35-19 Goodyear F1 tires (sticky summer tires)
Additional info: coilovers have about 25,000+ miles on it, I blew the passenger front shock and it was covered under the lifetime warranty
Preferred ride style: I enjoy spirited driving, taking some corners faster than I "should." I do love switching over to my dad's pickup where I don't have to care about avoiding potholes.
Would you recommend this setup? Handling, Yes. Comfort, Yes-ish. You can really "slam" your xi to where you'd be lower than 330/325i/ci on H&R cupkits, spring/strut combos, etc. The handling is beyond what I expected from the suspension. There's virtually no body roll (pretty sure the only movement is actually the sidewall in the tires when I try and shake my car) and understeer is drastically decreased. Part of this handling improvement is my wider wheels and tires too, so keep this in mind. The ride is pretty comfortable, but if you hit a bad pothole, it's gonna be rough--really rough. You have to avoid potholes and other junk and the ride will be fine. It's stiff, but not uncomfortably stiff. With a sport suspension, you have to expect a little roughness.
Price paid, including installation (if applicable): $1250 (now costs $1400ish)
Ride comfort: 7/10 (stock 9/10?)
Handling: 9/10 (stock 6/10?) no body roll, able to take turns much faster, and understeer is virtually gone.

Last edited by Gottalovethexi; 11-25-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Gottalovethexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #23
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
Year and body style: 2001 325xi
Setup being rated: KW V1
Additional aftermarket components:NA
Additional info: 19in rims, axle need replacing
Preferred ride style: slammed. Coils on it's lowest setting and only rubs on big bumps on front passenger wheel only
Would you recommend this setup? Hell yes, huge upgrade from stock suspension. Comfortable ride and I feel more confident when driving.
Ride comfort: 4 (stock is 5)
Handling: 8-9 (stock is 5)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	385136  

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #24
Glissco27

My Ride: is a smoked Xi
Send a message via AIM to Glissco27
this thread is great, as soon as i get something other than OEM setup ill post up
Glissco27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #25
Tele

My Ride: E46 330XIT MTech II
Here is my experience with Bilstein shocks, never again:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...highlight=tele

As I'm writing this my third set (in two years) of rear bilstein shocks has started to fail...!
I've always gotten new ones on warranty, but I'm tired of changing them.

So now I'm thinking about KW V1 and to hell whit the little comfort I had with Eibach/Bilstein :-)

As for this poll, I'll be back when the KW is on in the spring
Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:09 AM   #26
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
wow thanks for this thread... some awesome reviews here

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #27
Ivanhoe

My Ride: BMW 330 xi 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottalovethexi;

[IMG
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/4958245968_da6a07e9ae_o.jpg[/IMG]

Nice car man, I like it , some day I will tray to lower it like yours.
On my personal opinion with the rims on black or gunmetal this car will be awesome
Old 12-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #28
conv440

My Ride: will never be done
Year and body style: 2004 330xi
Setup being rated: H&R Sport Springs/Koni Yellow adjustables
Adjustments: Front 1/2 turn from soft, Rear 1 turn from soft.
Additional aftermarket components: Summer - 18x8 ASA Revolution w Dunlop Z1 star spec. Winter - 17" stock w/ Michelin Aplin 3, Rouge Engineering RSMs
Additional info: This setup will destroy stock RSMs, even the heavy duty version.
Intended use of car: Daily Driver, AutoX
Preferred ride style: Firm and tight.
Would you recommend this setup? Absolutely, almost all understeer is dialed out. Next step is to upgrade rear sway bar from 20 to 22/23mm. Ride height is perfect for me. No problem with speed bumps, potholes.
Price paid, including installation (if applicable): $650 for struts, $200 springs
Ride comfort: 7/10 (stock 5/10?)I don't understand how you can rate the stock suspension as anything but mushy and disconnected from the road.
Handling: 8/10 (stock 5/10?) Very good considering weight of the car. There's just too much mass on these cars for it to be great.

Photobucket
Old 12-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #29
kem

My Ride: E46 330xi
Year and body style: 2003 330xi
Setup being rated: FK Silverline Coilovers
Adjustments: Rideheight, cornerweighted
Additional aftermarket components: Rogue RSMs
Additional info: ~8k miles on this setup.
Preferred ride style: Willing to give up some comfort for good handling
Would you recommend this setup? The elimination of body roll is worth it alone, imo. Still get some understeer at the limit but a big improvement overall. The ride is actually not too stiff, but I live in an area with terrible roads and that does grind on you sometimes. But on good roads it's not too bad at all.
Price paid, including installation (if applicable):
Ride comfort: Bad Roads: 4, Good Roads: 7
Handling: 8 - No big negatives but I've owned much better handling cars so I marked this down a bit
Additional Notes: After 8k miles (on the coils) I had to replace a motor mount and a drive axle (just one). Some people will point to the lowering which I admit probably doesn't help. However I had the passanger boots replaced before I bought the car and then I later had to replace the driver side boots. Looking under my car it is clear the CV's have puked their grease out almost completely and there was most likely contamination and lack of grease before my coilovers. The motor mount baffles me though, I only have 73k miles.

Last edited by kem; 12-17-2010 at 01:16 PM.
kem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #30
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
This was a perfect idea! whomever thought of this thread.....NICE JOb! reserve me a spot here for comments too. I have stock suspension, poerflwex bushings( control arms, and RTAB- nice difference!) and will have the bilsteins with new springs here after the holidays. I want a smooth comfy feel, I am a daily commuter but i am willing to give up some of that for some better handling. My stock system is getting beat and the springs are due for a replacement...... I reside in NewOrleans and the roads here are HORRIBLE! I do not want to lower it, the height assists me with the road conditions and flooding( lol).
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #31
Capt1014

My Ride: 2002 325xi
After seeing a bunch of yous guyses pics of the car I think my ass end is a lil low

I have more space between the front wheel and wheel arch than bewteen the rear wheels and arches. maybe about an inch or so.

Overkill is an often underrated state of achivement!
Capt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #32
e36-2.0

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt1014 View Post
After seeing a bunch of yous guyses pics of the car I think my ass end is a lil low

I have more space between the front wheel and wheel arch than bewteen the rear wheels and arches. maybe about an inch or so.
theres a fix for this. I have confirmed it works and does the job:
Front Lowering Spring Perch
www.superpowerparts.com -->
http://www.supremepowerparts.com/143...(N54B30A).html

However they don't list the ones for e46 models though. I had to call and special order these and Im extremely happy I did. My ride height is now level with the rear.

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin

Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
-Projecttechnik.com

Last edited by e36-2.0; 12-17-2010 at 03:41 PM.
e36-2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #33
kem

My Ride: E46 330xi
If you look at stock cars they look like that, the fender gap is usually less in the rear on BMWs. I think it has to do with the fender design.

I have no gap in the back and about 1.5-2 finger gap in the front, but looking at my car the front of the side skirt is lower to the ground than the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt1014 View Post

Old 01-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #34
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Anyone running Bilstein shocks/struts and Eibach springs? The usual convention seems to be Koni/Eibach or H&R/Bilstein. Just wondering anyone has tried to combine the two and what your opinion is on the set up.

I'm planning on replacing the suspension in my car this spring when it's not so damn cold out and want to start getting parts ready soon. I know for sure I don't want the H&R as this is a daily driver and I don't track the car at all. So comfort is an important factor.

Thanks!
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #35
cincinnati

My Ride: bmw 325xi
I'm looking for comfort its my main focus ....with wanting to lower my car. I will be wearing 19" wheels and 235/35/19 tires. What is the best set up for this ?

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
cincinnati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #36
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
comfort and 19" wheels??? lol
Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #37
cincinnati

My Ride: bmw 325xi
Well as close as I can get ...lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
cincinnati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #38
E-rock

My Ride: '01 330xi
Can we get this stickied and made a mandatory read for new XI owners? Seems to be a lot of repeat "what suspension blah blah blah XI" threads from new members. There aren't a whole lot of options for our cars, and this thread having covered most options in detail might go a long way toward alleviating those redundant threads if it were pinned to the top.

THANK YOU to all XI owners who have posted up reviews, and to Mark M for starting the thread and providing an excellent template for everyone to follow.

"So when you go for a drive, remember to leave your murderous anger where it belongs - at home."
E-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #39
Glissco27

My Ride: is a smoked Xi
Send a message via AIM to Glissco27
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rock View Post
Can we get this stickied and made a mandatory read for new XI owners? Seems to be a lot of repeat "what suspension blah blah blah XI" threads from new members. There aren't a whole lot of options for our cars, and this thread having covered most options in detail might go a long way toward alleviating those redundant threads if it were pinned to the top.

THANK YOU to all XI owners who have posted up reviews, and to Mark M for starting the thread and providing an excellent template for everyone to follow.
+1 this needs to be stickied. what a major help it can be for people (myself included) looking to get into a new suspension.
Khoalty Black Matte Grill | Khoalty Smoked Turn Sig w/ LEDs | Khoalty Smoked Side Markers w/LEDs | Silver CF Vinyl Interior Trim | Khoalty LED Interior Kit | CF/White Roundels | Khoalty Smoked Tail Lights | Khoalty Angel Eyes | Aftermarket Pioneer sound system

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Glissco27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #40
chsu74

My Ride: 550XI,993TT,GL320
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleChrist12 View Post
I'll reserve a spot here for my post. I've got Bilstein Sports, an Eibach Pro Kit and a BMW Performance strut bar sitting in my garage. I'm waiting on the rear shocks to come in, they seem to be on factory backorder and none of the sponsors have them in stock.
This is my setup. Its about 1 month after install and the springs have settled as the first week's ride was very firm. Its a perfect ride height; about 1/2" drop from stock. A bit firmer than stock from what I remember so probably same as factory sport ride.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote