E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #41
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
This is my setup. Its about 1 month after install and the springs have settled as the first week's ride was very firm. Its a perfect ride height; about 1/2" drop from stock. A bit firmer than stock from what I remember so probably same as factory sport ride.
Anyone have a comparison between the Koni and Eibach vs the Bilstein and Eibach set ups? The Bilstein shocks/struts are much cheaper than the Konis for whatever reason and saving money where I can is always good. If the ride quality of the Bilsteins is drastically worse than the Konis, I'm more than ok with spending the extra cash.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #42
andertrack

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I am thinking about getting the H&R Sport Spring & Bilstein Sport Shock Kit: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...Kits/ES252806/

Do I have to replace anything else at the same time? I have heard that I might have to change the shock mounts as well.
andertrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #43
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I would upgrade the rear shock mounts.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #44
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
Year and body style: 2002 330xi
Setup being rated: Bilstein Sport Shocks and H&R Sport Springs
Adjustments: None
Additional aftermarket components: None
Additional info: This was done because of 2 broken rear OEM springs
Intended use of car: Daily Driver
Preferred ride style: Comfortable, but tossable. I have had Tein Basic coilovers on my old 2001 Civic which was fairly tight, but a huge upgrade compared to the stock suspension. I also had a 2005 WRX with STI shocks and RCE yellow springs which was far too harsh for daily driving (bobble head on smooth highways). I wanted something more like the Tein Basics.
Would you recommend this setup? Yes and no. Yes because the suspension is miles ahead of the OEM stuff in regards to how the car handles now. No because it's pretty harsh. Driving down I-95 from DC to Richmond, VA on the stock suspension wasn't much of an event. Gaps in bridges (mini-speedbumps) were absorbed fairly well and the car didn't bounce up and down. On the new suspension, it's kind of bouncy and I can definitely feel the bumps of the road in my spine.
Price paid, including installation (if applicable): ~$700 for the parts, more for the labor since I took it to a shop to also complete the Inspection II.
Ride comfort: If 5 is stock, 10 is more comfortable, 0 is riding in a wheelbarrow: 0 - - [ 3 ] - 5 - - - - 10
Handling: Again, 5 is stock, 10 is best, 0 is worst: 0 - - - - 5 - [ 7 ] - - 10
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #45
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Bilstein sport and H&R are the worst combo for daily ride quality, which is why I got Koni/Eibach.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #46
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
I wouldn't say it's the worst combo. There are probably a few people with coilovers with overdamped shocks with ultra stiff springs who hate their lives. But it's good for those track days, amirite?!
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #47
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Agreed, I just meant shock/spring combo. Coilovers can be impossible on anything less than perfect roads, which we have few of in Indy.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #48
chsu74

My Ride: 550XI,993TT,GL320
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Anyone have a comparison between the Koni and Eibach vs the Bilstein and Eibach set ups? The Bilstein shocks/struts are much cheaper than the Konis for whatever reason and saving money where I can is always good. If the ride quality of the Bilsteins is drastically worse than the Konis, I'm more than ok with spending the extra cash.
I only visit the board every now and then. Sorry for the late response. Hard for me to say about koni vs bilstein. I am happy with bilstein products and advise with replacing all the mount accessories to avoid issues.

I have had PSS9s on my P car for a few years now. It was adjusted to mid stiff dampening in the beginning and now is running full stiff after DE season last year and have not bothered to soften it up. I just look for better roads to drive with the Pcar and enjoy the improved handling.

I did run bilstein hds with broken OEM rear springs for about a month because I intended to run stock springs originally until the original install turned up with the news that I had broken rear springs. The ride with broken rear springs was weird and bounced a bit. Its fine now but this is my DD and don't beat it up unless you consider Metro NY roads as abuse.

Last edited by chsu74; 01-30-2011 at 12:09 PM.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #49
cardsfan007

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Ive been trying to do my research as much as I can, but cant seem to find much. I know one person on here has the fk silverline coilovers, but was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with them specifically or the company in general? I know most brands like bilstein and koni have a lifetime warrantly, but cant seem to find the warranty info for fk. Any info would be very helpful.
cardsfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #50
gawa

My Ride: 01 325xi
Year and body style: 2001 325xi
Setup being rated: KW V1
Additional aftermarket components: K-Mac camber plates, UUC front strut bar
Intended use of car: Daily + track a couple times a year
Preferred ride style: Comfortable, but I don't mind stiffer suspension setups
Would you recommend this setup? Yes, haven't went to a track day with it on but there's obviously less roll in cornering. It's also pretty comfortable IMO, just a tad harsher than stock.
Price paid, including installation (if applicable): $750 for used KW V1, $200 for used K-Mac camber plates, installed @ home, $120 for alignment
Ride comfort: 4 (if stock was 5)
Handling: 7 (if stock was 5)

gawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #51
cobimmerxi

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
Year and body style: 2002 330xi
Setup being rated: Bilstein Sport Shocks and H&R Sport Springs
Adjustments: None
Additional info: This was done because of 2 broken rear OEM springs
Preferred ride style: Comfortable, but tossable. I have had Tein Basic coilovers on my old 2001 Civic which was fairly tight, but a huge upgrade compared to the stock suspension. I also had a 2005 WRX with STI shocks and RCE yellow springs which was far too harsh for daily driving (bobble head on smooth highways). I wanted something more like the Tein Basics.
Would you recommend this setup? Yes and no. Yes because the suspension is miles ahead of the OEM stuff in regards to how the car handles now. No because it's pretty harsh. Driving down I-95 from DC to Richmond, VA on the stock suspension wasn't much of an event. Gaps in bridges (mini-speedbumps) were absorbed fairly well and the car didn't bounce up and down. On the new suspension, it's kind of bouncy and I can definitely feel the bumps of the road in my spine.
Price paid, including installation (if applicable): ~$700 for the parts, more for the labor since I took it to a shop to also complete the Inspection II.
Ride comfort: If 5 is stock, 10 is more comfortable, 0 is riding in a wheelbarrow: 0 - - [ 3 ] - 5 - - - - 10
Handling: Again, 5 is stock, 10 is best, 0 is worst: 0 - - - - 5 - [ 7 ] - - 10

do you have pics of how the car sits with this suspension? i want to do this kit also but worried it still will look monster truck! haha
cobimmerxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #52
chsu74

My Ride: 550XI,993TT,GL320
Update:

My setup soften up quite a bit the last week. I have only put on a few hundred miles on the bimmer the past 6 months. Its actually a nice ride but firm.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #53
irish4life2687

My Ride: 02 BMW 325XI
I'm going to be putting bilstein sport shocks/Eibach springs on my 02 325xi, been reading some of the posts in here and wanted to double check if its necessary to replace the rear shock mounts or anything else while i'll have all of that **** off my car
irish4life2687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #54
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
It isn't strictly necessary, but it's a good idea to replace front and rear strut/shock mounts while you've got everything taken apart.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #55
irish4life2687

ok i've been looking at a couple diff websites and all offer different sets of mounts, you know of one with all the pieces needed?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #56
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Year and body style: 2001 325xi
Setup being rated: KW V1 Coilovers
Additional info: 17" Wheels
Preferred ride style: Stock
Would you recommend this setup? Yes, If You want a drop, this will do it. I cant say much about handlling because I just drive this as a DD, not a track car.... The pieces are very high quality and have a lifetime warranty!
Ride comfort: 3 (stock is 5) - Definitely stiffer. But not obnoxious. Basically It's very noticeable when you drive on sh1tty roads. Other than that, I can definitely say that it makes me feel more connected to the road!
Handling: ? (stock is 5) Seriously........i have NO way of comparing the handling.....I'm not gonna throw up a 9 just because I paid 1400 for these. If I ever track my car (doubt it) ill get back to yall

PICS:

VS the original lololol:

Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #57
jagir03

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Question 04 325xi

So I recently purchased my car, with no way to contact po (bought from repo depo). And I noticed the drivers front tire inside had a nice groove/cut in it. Took it to an alignment place and the tech said it was lowered and not aligned, and driven like this for a looong time (car has 122k so about 75kmiles). He said only way to correct this wear from happening is to `lift` the car back up to stock.

The springs are red if that helps, but anyway after reading the reviews on this thread I found my problem isn't a common issue. So I``m thinking was my car just lowered incorrectly? And if it was how would I go about correcting it?

I really do like the lowered look (not a fan of wheel gap unless its a truck) and I dont really have a stock bmw to compare the ride to, so I would say it rides good.
jagir03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #58
jagir03

My Ride: 2004 325xi
^ any input guys?
jagir03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #59
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Is it wear on the inside edges from camber, or damage from rubbing the fender?

Needs an alignment or fenders rolled.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #60
irish4life2687

im suprised all the guy said was the only way to fix it was to lift it back up...like he said above get more clarification on what its actually be damaged from and it shhuld be an easy fix...you shouldnt have to lift it unless its defective then maybe just swap it...was he able to make sure it was the proper size/type for your model?