E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Kubs

My Ride: 2003 330 Ci
Check Engine Light Code P0174 Please Help

Driving home from work today I got a check engine light. I stopped at AutoZone so they could tell me what it was but all they could tell me was its a P0174. They didnt have a listing for what that was in a BMW but they gave me one for a VW which he said should be the same. It came on because of a "Lean Condition" caused by one of the following: Faulty O2 in Bank 2, Large Vacuum Leak, or Faulty MAF sensor. Do these sounds right for a BMW?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
Bank 2 (Too lean) so oxigen sensor should be looked at or replaced
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
FocusXi

My Ride: 325i
Yes it does. Here's one thing to try, go back to autozone, purchase CRC MAF Cleaner, remove your MAF from your car, clean it as per directions, re-install, clear the codes, see if they come back.

if they do, you could have a crack in your intake boot or a bad 02 sensor.

In before everyone else on this forums gives you useless " Search search search " talk .. i will say search around though, quite a few ( including me ) people have this problem.

Cheers
Ferrari F40 sold
Ferrari F50 sold
Ferrari Enzo sold
Saleen S7 sold
Bugatti Veyron sold
Koenigsegg CCX sold
Maserati MC12 sold
Pagani Zonda sold
Mercedes McLaren SLR sold
FocusXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
GEEZ_ITS_A_BMW

My Ride: 2000 323I
Yeah , check you lower intake boot, I found a crack where the idle control valve connects (vac leak)
GEEZ_ITS_A_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Kubs

Thanks guys. I wasnt sure if the VW code list could be used on the BMW as well. The car seems to idle fine, but I will check any possibilities of a vac leak around the intake. I didnt really drive it too much but it seems to have no power and sputters under load. I will see what I can find with a foot of snow outside.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Kubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnekkon View Post
Bank 2 (Too lean) so oxigen sensor should be looked at or replaced
Which one is bank 2? Autozone.com is only showing before or after catylitic converter? How many O2s are on the car?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Kubs

Is it bad to drive it like this? It may be a day or two before I can get it fixed.
Kubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
It's fine to drive it like that.

Also, any codes that start with P0___ are generic codes that are similar for all makes (though the root cause of the problem may be different); codes that start with P1___ are manufacturer-specific codes.

Surprisingly, the Autozone guy gave you good advice as to the common causes of that code.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubs View Post
How many O2s are on the car?
There are 4: 2 pre-cats and 2 post-cats--this should be quite a dent in your wallet as it was in mine. Replacing the pre-cats are easy cheesy but the post-cats are a pita. I have to remove my reinforcement plate to get to them.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
Kubs

I talked with a local mechanic and he said more often than not this code is produced by a slit vacuum line by the intake. I have heard by a couple people in this thread that they too had a cracked vacuum line. Does anyone have pictures of the place where this happens? How hard is it to fix? I dont know if my car will make it to work tomorrow the way it is.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=303141

take out your intake, and you will see two rubber boots.. the bottom one is the usual suspect
Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
Kubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=303141

take out your intake, and you will see two rubber boots.. the bottom one is the usual suspect
The intake has to come off for this?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
yes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
Kubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
yes
Did you mean the intake box that holds the filter or the intake manifold? I removed the box and filter and the top hose. It was late last night and dark, but I didnt see any rips in the lower boot. I will check under good light again this afternoon.
Kubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
nathancarter

The intake manifold doesn't have to come off, just the air filter box. The problem is often with the lower intake boot - the one you didn't take off. The crack is usually in the small hose on the lower boot, leading to the Idle Control Valve. The last two hose clamps are a PITA; a flexible screwdriver will help a lot. If you have a new lower boot in hand, you can just cut apart the old boot with a razor knife, which makes the process much easier.

Clean the Idle Control Valve with brake cleaner or carb cleaner while you're in there. Once you've got the lower intake boot off, the ICV is just two more bolts.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
immigrant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to immigrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by geez_its_a_bmw View Post
yeah , check you lower intake boot, i found a crack where the idle control valve connects (vac leak)
+1
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #17
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
p0174:
1. check intake boots for large or hairline tears. If torn replace..
2. check for a hairline tear on the 1/2 inch diameter tubing that runs from the top intake boot. Replace if torn..
3. Remove Adjuster unit, clean gunk off and replace, otherwise replace with new unit..
4. remove idler valve and clean (with throttle body cleaner), then replace..

If that doesn't do it, your fuel pump is on it's way out - that was the culprit in my case when I got that code. The car died on me on the middle of the road, towed it to the shop (thanks AAA), replaced the pump and the code went away.

Note: if you get the p0174 alone, the MAF is definitely okay (at least 99% of the time.) Unless you get that code in conjuction with p0171, only then you could have a dirty/failed maf sensor...

In some cases, the intake valve gaskets could be culprit but I would look there last. Also, getting lean codes imply your O2 sensors are performing as expected - when they fail, they throw a specific code..

Hope this helps someone!
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #18
Kubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
The intake manifold doesn't have to come off, just the air filter box. The problem is often with the lower intake boot - the one you didn't take off. The crack is usually in the small hose on the lower boot, leading to the Idle Control Valve. The last two hose clamps are a PITA; a flexible screwdriver will help a lot. If you have a new lower boot in hand, you can just cut apart the old boot with a razor knife, which makes the process much easier.

Clean the Idle Control Valve with brake cleaner or carb cleaner while you're in there. Once you've got the lower intake boot off, the ICV is just two more bolts.

Thanks! These pictures help a lot. You're right I didnt take the lower boot off and could barley see the small hose. There is a black box that is right above where the lower boot is that is not in your picture. Does that just come off with two bolts that go in the bronze looking holes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
p0174:
1. check intake boots for large or hairline tears. If torn replace..
2. check for a hairline tear on the 1/2 inch diameter tubing that runs from the top intake boot. Replace if torn..
3. Remove Adjuster unit, clean gunk off and replace, otherwise replace with new unit..
4. remove idler valve and clean (with throttle body cleaner), then replace..

If that doesn't do it, your fuel pump is on it's way out - that was the culprit in my case when I got that code. The car died on me on the middle of the road, towed it to the shop (thanks AAA), replaced the pump and the code went away.

Note: if you get the p0174 alone, the MAF is definitely okay (at least 99% of the time.) Unless you get that code in conjuction with p0171, only then you could have a dirty/failed maf sensor...

In some cases, the intake valve gaskets could be culprit but I would look there last. Also, getting lean codes imply your O2 sensors are performing as expected - when they fail, they throw a specific code..

Hope this helps someone!
This helps a lot. I will look into a fuel pump as well. How much did that cost? I am taking the car to a local mechanic who has heard of this issue on E46s before. He said he would help diagnose it for me.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
Kubs

Also, where can I buy a lower boot if it is the issue? Is that only a dealer part?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #20
nathancarter

Any parts supplier should stock the lower boot, but unless you're ordering other parts at the same time, you might want to just get it from the dealer to avoid shipping time and charges. It's only about $15-20. You might replace the upper boot at the same time. You don't need to replace the plastic ring that connects the two.

The black box above the lower boot is the DISA, or Adjuster Unit. It's connected to a butterfly valve inside the intake manifold, that changes the length of the intake manifold to help optimize performance at varying RPMs. It's step 3 in Many330i's post, above. If you want extended information on the operation of the DISA, read here:
http://forums.my330i.com/showthread.php?p=55148