E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Ler0y Jenkins

My Ride: '02 BMW 325i
Would a bad oil sensor cause an oil leak???

About a month ago I noticed my oil sensor light would come on (yellow) about a minute after I started my car and would shut off after less than a minute. I did some searching and it seems this means that the sensor is bad.

About a week ago I noticed oil on the floor of my garage. Last light I removed the cover from the bottom and noticed oil everywhere. I think I may have also seen some red tranny fluid. I'm hoping the oil leak is from something minor like the sensor but I'm worried it's more serious.

Also, if anyone knows a good repair shop in South Jersey, let me know.

Thanks,

Kevin
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Is this serious?

Your oil light is coming on because you're losing oil...because it senses oil level...that's why it's called a sensor.

Why would you automatically assume it's a bad sensor when you're ACTUALLY losing oil?

Your question is one of the dumbest things I've ever read..."would a bad oil sensor cause an oil leak?"....SERIOUSLY!?

I need a damn drink now...
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
hvirani

My Ride: e46 320i
Ken.. it sounds as if the sensor has gone bad. What he's describing is the sensor in fail mode (goes on ten seconds after start, off after a minute)

To answer the OP, its possible but not likely. Go see your mechanic.

To reiterate: Go see your mechanic. If you don't have one, find one!

Fack. He even searched. I can't fault the OP. I feel guilty enough to start calling Jersey mechanics to find him an honest one.

Last edited by hvirani; 01-06-2010 at 07:21 AM.
hvirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Ler0y Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Is this serious?

Your oil light is coming on because you're losing oil...because it senses oil level...that's why it's called a sensor.

Why would you automatically assume it's a bad sensor when you're ACTUALLY losing oil?

Your question is one of the dumbest things I've ever read..."would a bad oil sensor cause an oil leak?"....SERIOUSLY!?

Yes it's serious dickhead. As my ORIGINAL POST clearly stated, "ABOUT A MONTH AGO" I noticed the oil sensor light was coming on in a manner that seemed to indicate the sensor was bad (NOT THAT THE OIL PRESSURE WAS LOW).

Then, ABOUT A WEEK AGO, it started leaking oil. Therefore, it would seem the sensor went before the oil leak started. Thus, my belief that perhaps the oil sensor somehow caused the leak.

Go back to first grade and learn how to read and comprehend basic English before you bashing someone just because they don't have more than 1,000 posts. *******.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Ler0y Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvirani View Post
Ken.. it sounds as if the sensor has gone bad. What he's describing is the sensor in fail mode (goes on ten seconds after start, off after a minute)

To answer the OP, its possible but not likely. Go see your mechanic.

To reiterate: Go see your mechanic. If you don't have one, find one!

Fack. He even searched. I can't fault the OP. I feel guilty enough to start calling Jersey mechanics to find him an honest one.
Thank you for your non-bashing reply. I do need a mechanic. I have a local non-BMW guy that I usually go to but I'm not sure if I should take the BMW there. I'm torn between the local non-BMW guy and the stealership. IMO, the stealership may charge more per hour but they would probably know right off the bat what the issue is, whereas the local guy will charge less per hour but probably take longer diagnosing the problem.

I think I'll call my local guy and let him know what the issue is. I'll let him know I only want a diagnosis because if it's too serious I may not be keeping the car. Depending on the diagnosis, I'll go from there.

Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
hvirani

My Ride: e46 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ler0y Jenkins View Post
IMO, the stealership may charge more per hour but they would probably know right off the bat what the issue is, whereas the local guy will charge less per hour but probably take longer diagnosing the problem.
Anytime. Do take a few mins and look up independent bmw mechanics in your area.
hvirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Ler0y Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvirani View Post
Anytime. Do take a few mins and look up independent bmw mechanics in your area.
Thanks. I found MD Motorwerkes about ten minutes from my house. According to these reviews they seem pretty knowledgeable and trustworthy. http://www.bimmershops.com/new-jersey/md-motorwerke-inc. I've got an appointment tomorrow for a diagnosis.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
oil sensors cannot cause leaks
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
York

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Please come back and give us a follow-up!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Ler0y Jenkins

Quote:
oil sensors cannot cause leaks
You're an idiot. Do a Google search for "leaky oil sensor" and you'll prove yourself wrong. Idiot.

Last edited by Ler0y Jenkins; 01-06-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
If the gasket around the oil level sensor is faulty, it can leak. But that's probably not your problem.

My guess is the following:
- Bad oil level sensor, AND
- Leaking power steering lines (red ATF)

Don't worry about Ken, he sometimes gives good advice but it's tough to get around the superiority complex.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.

My Ride: is totaled :(
A faulty sensor will not cause an oil leak. However, an oil leak could be associated with the sensor with respect to its location. The sensor is installed in an opening in the bottom of the oil pan. I've never pulled one out so I don't know exactly how it's held in place but I would assume there is some kind of gasket or seal involved. At any rate, leaking oil would not be associated with a faulty sensor, only with the sensor mounting plate.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Ler0y Jenkins

I think it is unlikely that a sensor would cause a leak but I don't think it's impossible. If the gasket or mounting plate goes, the sensor would leak. My original belief was that perhaps the seal had blown and that caused the sensor to send an error message to the dashboard.

Incidentally, when I spoke to my non-BMW mechanic and explained to him the exact same thing I posted in my original post, the first thing he said was maybe it was the sensor causing the leak.

In any case, I'm not going to waste this forum's time arguing over something as trivial as whether an oil sensor can cause a leak.

I have an appointment tomorrow with an independent BMW repair shop near me. I will post the results when I get them.

Thank you for everyone with legitimate input that is actually trying to help.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
numba1guju

My Ride: 2013 328i
Send a message via AIM to numba1guju
did you find anything out? I have the same problem...i fixed the atf leak, it was the little pressure bolt looking thing that has a valve(no idea what its called)...but now my level sensor is bad for sure, and there is an oil leak from somewhere but no idea where...none of the independent mechanics have been able to pinpoint the leak yet.

sorry forgot to explain that the little bolt with a valve holds the pressure in steering lines, valve wasnt opening and closing

2002 325i: Black/Black
Mods: Clears, VM V715 Matte Black 19in staggered, 20% tint all around, Suspension Technique Coilovers, p46s 6000k w/ aurora 60LED
numba1guju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
badboye46

My Ride: 2002 325Ci 1989 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ler0y Jenkins View Post
I think it is unlikely that a sensor would cause a leak but I don't think it's impossible. If the gasket or mounting plate goes, the sensor would leak. My original belief was that perhaps the seal had blown and that caused the sensor to send an error message to the dashboard.

Incidentally, when I spoke to my non-BMW mechanic and explained to him the exact same thing I posted in my original post, the first thing he said was maybe it was the sensor causing the leak.

In any case, I'm not going to waste this forum's time arguing over something as trivial as whether an oil sensor can cause a leak.

I have an appointment tomorrow with an independent BMW repair shop near me. I will post the results when I get them.

Thank you for everyone with legitimate input that is actually trying to help.
I've been wrenching on cars for 30 yrs. I have seen countless oil PRESSURE sending units that leaked, perhaps your non BMW mechanic thought that his "no mechanical aptitude" or "no motor head" customer doesn't know exactly what he/she is describing when telling him the symptoms (how many vehicles tell you your oil LEVEL is low) , so I understand the statement. OP, I would search for a BMW independent shop.
badboye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
Rene325ci

My Ride: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboye46 View Post
I've been wrenching on cars for 30 yrs. I have seen countless oil PRESSURE sending units that leaked, perhaps your non BMW mechanic thought that his "no mechanical aptitude" or "no motor head" customer doesn't know exactly what he/she is describing when telling him the symptoms (how many vehicles tell you your oil LEVEL is low) , so I understand the statement. OP, I would search for a BMW independent shop.

Same here. I saw a dodge neon oil pressure sending unit blow its diaphragm and leak all of its engine oil out through that little sensor it is amazing how fast the oil shoots out of that little sensor.

OP you should get a decent mechanic to check it out. You will need to wash off the area and run it to see exactly where the oil is coming from. It could be the CCV (kind of infamous), valve cover gasket or a host of things.

The amount of idiots on this forum is amazing and the funny part it is the guys who have been here longer. I find myself coming here less often because of the idiots being idiots and the lack of really useful posts or useful information in the newer posts although one in about every 500 threads made is useful.
Rene325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #17
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
Quote:
Is this serious?

There's no such thing called dumb question. Only if you have question and you don't want to ask or afraid to ask, or pretend that you know the answer, that is dumb my friend.

Last edited by taibinhvuong; 01-09-2010 at 11:43 PM.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #18
ejamin73

My Ride: '04 325i Sport Pkg
Quote:
is this serious?

Why would you automatically assume it's a bad sensor when you're actually losing oil?

Your question is one of the dumbest things i've ever read..."would a bad oil sensor cause an oil leak?"....seriously!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
a faulty sensor will not cause an oil leak. However, an oil leak could be associated with the sensor with respect to its location. The sensor is installed in an opening in the bottom of the oil pan. I've never pulled one out so i don't know exactly how it's held in place but i would assume there is some kind of gasket or seal involved. At any rate, leaking oil would not be associated with a faulty sensor, only with the sensor mounting plate.
read & learn if you're intelligent enough, KIPPY

I just can't imagine the world without the smell of burned gas coming out of a well tuned engine:drool:
Quote:
nice try on the sig you tard. unfortunately, when you click the link you see the actual quote.

you are on a roll with the FAIL tonight. :lmao:
ejamin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 AM   #19
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Come on guys, he's not alone, I also think it's a bad question; but I see it more as wishful thinking. I would have given you crap too.

You probably need a new oil level sensor and ______ gasket. Sensors don't cause leaks in BMWs unless they were broken and reinstalled anyway, or the bolts aren't tightened down all the way. Find the source of the leak, then worry about the sensor.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
ejamin73

My Ride: '04 325i Sport Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Come on guys, he's not alone, I also think it's a bad question; but I see it more as wishful thinking. I would have given you crap too.

You probably need a new oil level sensor and ______ gasket. Sensors don't cause leaks in BMWs unless they were broken and reinstalled anyway, or the bolts aren't tightened down all the way. Find the source of the leak, then worry about the sensor.
I agree but, kippy's response is not the right way. Obviously he has forgot that he was a nooby at some time
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=169114

I just can't imagine the world without the smell of burned gas coming out of a well tuned engine:drool:
Quote:
nice try on the sig you tard. unfortunately, when you click the link you see the actual quote.

you are on a roll with the FAIL tonight. :lmao:
ejamin73 is offline   Reply With Quote