E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #101
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacy12 View Post
and they might handle better than any e46 including the M3... o wait they do. faster and out handle the e46 m3 on the ring. nothing wrong with an M model for each line. Merc does it. gotta keep sales up in order to keep operations open.
Merc doesn't know how to make driving machines. They are the European equivalent to American muscle... all under the hood, but nothing usable at the wheels

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #102
SKIPPY PB

My Ride: YZ125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
Ok, maybe you are not concerned with the design or don't mind a lot of change but keep in mind there are other people on the board besides you. There is without a doubt a ridiculous amount of design bashing with every new model coming from "enthusiasts". My response was to those who constantly whine about design changes. Refer to my previous statement regarding design and BMW owners.

Are you kidding me? First the car does not have to follow the formula of an E30 M3 to the exact specs to return BMW to its roots. This car is light (by modern standards) and Im sure it will handle very well. Is it a negative that it has more horsepower than an original M3? Secondly you must be out of your mind if you are complaining about the car not being in the $30k price range of the E30 M3. The original E30 M3 was introduced over 20 years ago, do you really expect pricing to stay the same over that time period? Things like idrive and active steering are just something you'll have to live with, car companies are bogging down every new car with similar gear. The E46 has more electronic junk than the E36 and the E36 has more electronic junk than the E30, get used to it.

Whats impressive? The ability to easily and cheaply extract more power from the engine. I don't remember the last time a car company built a street motor in a production car to its absolute full potential, which may be why we have a thriving aftermarket parts industry.
I agree with you too an extent but I think they have taken it to far. I drive and Active steering have NO place in M cars. I dont care what you say, porsche doesn't do it so why does BMW?

Because BMW knows all the hardcore guys aren't dropping 100K of a heavy ass M5. When they can get a porsche turbo or 1 year old GT3.

All im saying is the new 135 M

Should have..
- Sunroof delete option package
- Reduced weight
- N/A 3.2 engine with over 350 hp/ 300 torque
- No bullshit packages

Should ABSOLUTLY not have...
- I drive
- Active steering

I dont see how more horsepower is a good thing. I want a better car and I could care less if they turn the boost up 1 psi.

Again all this is great but its deffinatly not worth 50K and neither is a 335.
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #103
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
This picture on post one is ridiculous ...BMW cant do this to us. I'm mad.

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #104
Blu325i

My Ride: is black and blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
Merc doesn't know how to make driving machines. They are the European equivalent to American muscle... all under the hood, but nothing usable at the wheels
I love Merc's but I must agree. Plus if I took the Merc's side, I might get hurt

^ I PAINT with light.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnalters
Blu325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #105
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #106
nightdagger

My Ride: 2004 TiAg 325Ci 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPY PB View Post
I agree with you too an extent but I think they have taken it to far. I drive and Active steering have NO place in M cars. I dont care what you say, porsche doesn't do it so why does BMW?

Because BMW knows all the hardcore guys aren't dropping 100K of a heavy ass M5. When they can get a porsche turbo or 1 year old GT3.

All im saying is the new 135 M

Should have..
- Sunroof delete option package
- Reduced weight
- N/A 3.2 engine with over 350 hp/ 300 torque
- No bullshit packages

- I drive
- Active steering

I dont see how more horsepower is a good thing. I want a better car and I could care less if they turn the boost up 1 psi.

Again all this is great but its deffinatly not worth 50K and neither is a 335.
Don't compare a Porsche GT2 or Turbo to an M5. The Porsche is a light sportscar, the M5 is a sedan. That said, I hope the 1M is more of a hardcore car than BMW has been making lately.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #107
p0kerface

My Ride: 02 CB 6MT M3
Quote:
I can't believe people see the M version of the 1 as a problem here. For whatever reason BMW drivers seem pretty particular about design, and if the new stuff doesn't look exactly like what they're currently driving there is something wrong to them. Designs change! Its a fact of life here. This car embodies what BMW M cars should be. Since when was lightweight (by modern standards), high horsepower and accessible a bad thing? Seems to me like this is one car that is bringing BMW back to its roots. Anyone who thinks this car is taking away from the badge should turn their keys over to the closest real enthusiast available.
i couldnt have said it better! the 135i currently competes with the e46 M3, the 1-series M should surpass the e46//M in terms of overall performance. that's actual progress

IMO the new m3 (currently the lightest M car) is too heavy, and the M5, M6, X5M, X6M? forget about it! Hell i think the e46 M is a bit porky already. I stress on the weight factor cause cause i think that's a key element in what separates BMW's M from the AMGs.

Last edited by p0kerface; 01-22-2010 at 12:38 PM.
p0kerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #108
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
Quote:
- I drive
- Active steering
As a driving enthusiast I agree but BMW doesn't make money selling hardcore track cars. Enthusiasts alone cannot support a car company. The people who support the company with real sales demand those kinds of features. It was the Yuppies in the 80s that made BMW what it is today, not a bunch of track rats, and its people like that who allow us to do what we do.
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #109
Fsi

My Ride: 1999 318i
Am I the only person who thinks the 1 ,coupé, is one of the most beautiful looking car's in recent years ?
Fsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #110
SKIPPY PB

My Ride: YZ125
Quote:
As a driving enthusiast I agree but BMW doesn't make money selling hardcore track cars. Enthusiasts alone cannot support a car company. The people who support the company with real sales demand those kinds of features. It was the Yuppies in the 80s that made BMW what it is today, not a bunch of track rats, and its people like that who allow us to do what we do.
All im saying is thats great and all but to embrace the motorsport heritage and show respect for the badge there should be one car out there that no one but a true enthusiast would be crazy enough to buy. For example the M1, no option for sunroofs, i drive, active steering, non of that non sense. All in a tight little box that is impractical for anything but pure driving pleasure.
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #111
SDKmann

Quote:
All in a tight little box that is impractical for anything but pure driving pleasure.
Looks like someone wants a MINI Cooper S.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #112
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
i think my biggest gripe is the using the m1 name, which hasn't been decided yet i know...i want to like the concept for this "tuned up" 1 series however they'll do something to mangle this thing up...

it would be nice to see bmw split it's m division into two. keep an actually motorsports division, a true "M" car if you will. no moonroof,no idrive only an mdrive button/s ala csl, bucket seats, lightweight, better balanced NA high revving beasts. basically make certain logical models (1 series, 3 series, z series no 5/6 series here as they're too big imo) into street legal race spec cars and then another "M" or perhaps pick a new letter like "N" (since most of these newer engine's are based on the N series engine's anyways) with all the comforts and a kick in the past with boost or whatever they decide (kers is still an option on the upcoming f10 m5 fyi) similar to what porsche did with the GT3/RS and the turbo/GT2 line ups

personally i've always had a gripe with sun/moonroofs on any M car should have been aluminum to CF roofs from day 1 imo...but then again this doesn't make enough profitable sense from a business standpoint for bmw as they are in the lower middle segment of luxury vehicles (porsche being in the middle and ferrari's as an example of the upper luxury bracket)
Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 AM   #113
TheStigE36

My Ride: 95 M3 ~ 04 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to TheStigE36
Quote:
All im saying is thats great and all but to embrace the motorsport heritage and show respect for the badge there should be one car out there that no one but a true enthusiast would be crazy enough to buy. For example the M1, no option for sunroofs, i drive, active steering, non of that non sense. All in a tight little box that is impractical for anything but pure driving pleasure.
Already made. Ever tried getting in and out of a Lotus Exige?

I have an E36 M3 and a 04 ZHP and am 25. I think accessibility to the a line of cars is important. I would love a new M3 but I also feel that it has gotten too heavy and FAR too expensive to be affordable by nearly half of the people that love them. Being young and an avid fan of BMW, I do feel somewhat cheated by the company for not making something simple, fast, and fun that is affordable (and before you say it Mini's dont count because of the FWD). BMW is one of the few companies left that solely (well almost solely) makes RWD cars and does seem to seriously car about the "drive" of the car. Does anyone remember that rediculous Dodge Razor about 8 years ago that was meant to cost $14k and had no stereo, no a/c, and had everything was an option? I think BMW could make a killing by releasing a 1 series (maybe a redesign is in order cause they do look a bit goofy) that had the starting price in the mid $20s but had nothing standard. So the car was completely customizable based on what you wanted in the car. I am talking about a barebones car that can flat out perform with minimal creature comforts and just amazing sporting potential.

If you look at the progression of the cars the current 4 door M3 has the nearly the interior space of the old m5 and they get bigger from there. There is no car that compares space wise to the E36 (or smaller E30) in their line up like the current 1 series. I dont think it should be called the M1 due to the normal near drooling state that that name brings to mind . But I do feel that the idea of a fully race inspired version of the 1 series would be fantastic.
TheStigE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 AM   #114
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
speaking of. http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/pm1artca.htm

seen this car in person. sitting under a car cover in one of the shops in greensboro
"You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?"
"OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #115
SDKmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogenic View Post
speaking of. http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/pm1artca.htm

seen this car in person. sitting under a car cover in one of the shops in greensboro
Thats gorgeous, BMW took the number 20 ProCar along with its ALMS tent last season.

I doubt this car will be called the M1 so if that is what people are concerned with I think its an invalid reason to dislike the model. Personally I think they should stick with the tii badge although I think that is almost less likely than the M1. I can't wait for the first reviews of it, especially against the M3, although I see even more 1 haters coming out of the woodwork then since it will undoubtedly destroy the M3 in performance.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #116
chicane
Banned

My Ride: BMW M3
1. Cross-threading == bad.
2. They are NOT going to call it the M1.
chicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #117
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane View Post
1. Cross-threading == bad.
2. They are NOT going to call it the M1.
helicoil = save
"You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?"
"OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #118
jreid

My Ride: a car
cant wait
jreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #119
Fatal Flash

My Ride: '12 RRS, '12 Evoque
i think this is going to be fairly cool. Def nice to see the M division range MSRP values of their cars from a 45-50k base price tag for an M model - 100-120k for an M6.

Fatal Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #120
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Simply put, they just have too big of a lineup...
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote