E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
What does holding down ASC button for 10 seconds do?

Normal operation of ASC button is press once asc off press again asc back on. I know disabling ASC disables traction control, but am not sure if it disables the "fake LSD" behavior (anyone know?).

Holding down the ASC button for 10 seconds has a different behavior. Instead ASC is disabled until the car is turned off and then back on. Apparently on some BMW's this disables traction control but leaves the "fake LSD" behavior active. Is this true on e46's?

NOTE: I know with the DSC button there are two different levels of "off", this is NOT what I am talking about, I am talking about with ASC, which common knowledge seems to be that it is either off or on.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
CoconutPete

My Ride: E90 330i
I believe that rule only applies to "DSC" which you will find in the newer E46's. "ASC" found in 323's and 328's is simply an "on" or "off" button.

I tried just for kicks when I had my 328 and I could never get it to do anything different.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
Extra Credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3"
not "I'm looking for a M3".
-----------
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
My DSC button has only the single stage on/off. It was something that was changed mid-MY. I don't think holding your ASC button for any length of time will trigger anything else other than turning your traction control off.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
thefrog1394

Except holding it for 10 seconds does do something differently, it makes it so you can no-longer re-enable it without turning the car off and then back on (try it and see... hold it down for like 15 seconds and you will no longer be able to re-enable. Maybe that is the extent of the difference though?

EDIT: could it possibly be this?

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=257171

(although unlike the article indicates, the ASC light stays illuminated)

Quote:
If you have trouble in deep snow or slush with ASC, hold it down for 10 seconds and it will show the light as being permanently on regardless of if you press the button. What that will do is only apply the braking portion of the ASC, and not limit the engine to bog it down. Works well in slush as usually ASC bogs down the engine so much you can't go anywhere.
- from some e36 m3 forum post I found on google...

My guess is that is in fact what this feature does, keep the braking portion (i.e. fake LSD) of traction control but get rid of the throttle-limiting features.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by thefrog1394; 01-07-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Older systems are just one-press on/off. Newer ones were 2 stage depending on if you pressed quickly or pressed and held for ~5 seconds. If you hold it for 10 seconds the system thinks that you left your purse on the console and ignores the button until you turn the car off and back on.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
its engages the turbo drive nahh it disengages stability and traction control on some models...on the early e46 the traction control light will stay on and the only way you can turn it off is by turning the car off then on...

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
thefrog1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
Older systems are just one-press on/off. Newer ones were 2 stage depending on if you pressed quickly or pressed and held for ~5 seconds. If you hold it for 10 seconds the system thinks that you left your purse on the console and ignores the button until you turn the car off and back on.
I confirmed the purse theory, I tried holding it down for 10 seconds starting with ASC off and sure enough it turned it on and disabled the button.

I still am trying to figure out whether ASC disabled disables the "fake LSD" behavior, I believed called ABD? Automatic Brake Distribution?

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
Redline

Only one way to find out. Go to an empty parking lot. Turn asc off and try drifting/powersliding/burnouts and the hid the button 10 seconds and repeat. You will immediately find out if it does anything since your tires will either slide or grip.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
BigMikeE46

My Ride: 02 325i, 03 SC COBRA
Send a message via AIM to BigMikeE46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
its engages the turbo drive nahh it disengages stability and traction control on some models...on the early e46 the traction control light will stay on and the only way you can turn it off is by turning the car off then on...
Well Im not sure how old is early but my 02, if i hit the button for 5 secs, the dsc light turns on and so does the e-brake light turn on....and I can simply turn it back on by hitting the button again. But wait, so when I hit the thing one time, im actually turning it off? And I thought hitting it once probably lets the driver and the car know that its active. maaan
BigMikeE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
OCX

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog1394 View Post
Except holding it for 10 seconds does do something differently, it makes it so you can no-longer re-enable it without turning the car off and then back on (try it and see... hold it down for like 15 seconds and you will no longer be able to re-enable. Maybe that is the extent of the difference though?

EDIT: could it possibly be this?

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=257171

(although unlike the article indicates, the ASC light stays illuminated)

- from some e36 m3 forum post I found on google...

My guess is that is in fact what this feature does, keep the braking portion (i.e. fake LSD) of traction control but get rid of the throttle-limiting features.
I think that's about right, I always wondered what the difference was when I held the button but now that i think about it that actually makes sense.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
Press and release = you might crash.
Press and hold = you will crash.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
press and release = you might crash.