E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift
my baby got hit :(

Hi Guys
Need some advice on my damage this morning. Well I stopped at the lights and this oldish guy in his commodore who was behind me didnt. I saw him coming at me in my mirror and I moved forward and right which is why you see the damage on the left of the car.

Quick look suggests that the bar carrier behind the bumper is bent in (looks like its made of some sort of plastic or fibre) which has split. He has AAMI comprehensive insurance and gave me all details on the spot. So I guess there is no cost for me apart from the hassle and time it takes to fix etc..

Anyone have any suggestions how I go about getting it fixed? I haven't called insurance yet. I guess I should be calling my insurance i.e. YOUI. I want it fixed by a BMW shop and no other. Is that possible ? I also wish I could get an Mtech is that possible ? OEM ofcourse! As you can see on the 4th pic the bumper is split at the top.

Thanks for any advice and Im glad no one was hurt as I had my 7month old in the car.

Last edited by fgin; 01-08-2010 at 07:48 PM.
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
DeclanM3

My Ride: M3
First things first. Don't call youi if you can get your car fixed without contacting them. Putting a claim though your own insurance company will effect your premium on renewal regardless of who was at fault. You may remember that one of Youi's underwriting questions would have asked if you have had any claims regardless of who was at fault. The question is a yes or no so it doesn't matter if it wasn't your fault it still effects your premium just the same as if it was. If you don't contact youi then you haven't lodged a claim and therefore do not need to disclose that information UNLESS they ask you if you have had any accidents which you didn't claim for. These are known as a "Losses" and generally dont effect your premium unless it was a theft or if you have had lots of them.

When you contact AAMI they will most likely tell you to get a quote from either your choice of repairer or a local AAMI certified repairer. When they are quoting you mention that you want to upgrade to an mtech 2 rear the panel beater will write the quote down for a normal replacement and most likely give you a budget eg. a normal bar might cost 600 so he will tell you that you have to find one for that much and give him the details or chip in if its more.

Apart from that it looks like the damage was very minor and will most likely just require a new rear bar. If they give you a quote to repair it i would request they replace the bar.

DeclanM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
fgin

Declan, Thanks mate! Yes Youi does ask the question. I owe you one. Will call AAMI.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
fgin

Just called AAMI, They want the other party (who hit me) to first place a claim and then AAMI will be in touch with me. She also mentioned that it will ONLY be an AAMI approved repairer who will fix it and will use BMW parts. If I want the car fixed by my choice of repair shop then I will have to contact my insurance company. I doubt that is something they can hold me to considering Im not at fault. Any advice ?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Putting in a claim through your OWN insurance (while being not at fault) actually helps YOUR rating. I'm now R1 for life after the last claim while not being at fault
Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
ASSAIL

My Ride: E46 328, Jza80 Supra
AAMI approved repairers are cheap and nasty.

ull need to get a quote from a AAMI approved repairer, and one from the place you want to repair your car.

then you take your car into their inspection centre and an assessor goes over both quotes, and gives the job to the cheapest one.

so what id do is go and get the quote from the place you want to fix it at first.
then take your car to a AAMI repairer (theyll try and get you to just leave the car with them as theyre already approved, but tell them that you have already organised to go to the assessment centre etc so you just need a quote.
theyll ask you how much the other quote was for. tell them a figure that is a fair bit higher than the actual quote. then theyll quote just under the false figure you gave them.

then take both quotes to the assessment centre the assessor will try and send the car to their approved place by picking other things, calling the repairer you want to fix the car, and trying to get them to up their quote to more than the AAMI approved repairers quote.

they did this to me and instead of just going with my repairer, they called him, got him to up the quote, but id already told him what the other place quoted too, so he stayed just under their quote, so it ended up costing AAMI more than if they have of just stuck with the original quote!

AAMI are pricks, they ordered the wrong rim for my car twice! (a lady reversed into me in a carpark as i was driving and her towbar hit my rear dogleg, rim and bar) then told me that if they couldnt match the rim theyd put something "close as possible" on there!

so i contacted the rim distributer told him about it then gave his details to AAMI. But when they called him he refused to sell them 1 individual rim and made them but a set of 4!
so they also got stuck with 3 rims (that they tried to sell to me at full price?!?!) that they had to auction off!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
fgin

Thanks ASSAIL.. good to know. Who is your repairer ? Is he good ? Where is he located? Im in Rowville so if you recommend and not too far from me then I might as well take it there. Cheers
Old 01-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Sherweeeny

My Ride: BMW Civic
sucks to hear, but agree with aami being the biggest fail, just get your own insurance to deal with them
Old 01-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
ASSAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgin View Post
Thanks ASSAIL.. good to know. Who is your repairer ? Is he good ? Where is he located? Im in Rowville so if you recommend and not too far from me then I might as well take it there. Cheers
PROSHINE sprayed my supra and have done a few repairs on the bmw - he's not too bad and looks after me on price but often his workload is too high for the size of the shop....... (he's the one who repaired my car when the AAMI insured lady hit me)

RJP have sprayed some things for me - awesome work, they look after me coz i use them for work cars, BUT i dont think they'd quote cheap enough to come close to undercutting an AAMI repairer. (theyre on holidays for another week also)

Charlie Battisti and Mr Gloss (Moorabbin NOT Hallam) are both BMW approved and do decent jobs. (Graeme @ Mr Gloss may help you out with getting an AAMI job.)

As for the AAMi repairer to get a quote from.......use Armstrong and Sons. They will quote high if you tell them ur other quote was high too, and if they do end up getting the job theyre not too bad.......as long as one of the apprentices doesnt do the work.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 Coupe View Post
Putting in a claim through your OWN insurance (while being not at fault) actually helps YOUR rating. I'm now R1 for life after the last claim while not being at fault
Lol no it doesn't. A not at fault claim (assuming you have the details of the third party who was at fault and can prove it was their fault) will not effect your rating at all. You are probably a rating 1 for life now because you have either been with your insurance company for quite some time or they gave it to you in the first place and you only just noticed.

If you have multiple not at fault claims some companies will charge you more than if you had 1 at fault claim. I remember speaking to a client at my work and he disclosed 5 claims in 3 years all not at fault and all from people hitting him from behind. Some people would debate that its bad luck and there is nothing you can do to avoid it but chances are if you are having that many claims its not 100% the third parties fault and the clients driving style (hard braking, merging to quickly etc.) probably played a factor in the claims.

I insure with AAMI because they are incredibly cheap. I did hear from many people that they stinge out on repairs etc. When i got my new front bar i went to a place on the coast called "Planet smash" they are known to be one of the best panel beaters on the coast and are AAMI certified. They colour matched and fitted my new bar perfectly and i also discussed with the guy giving me the quote about AAMI and he basically said they are fine as long as your claim is legitimate eg. story matches up to the damage etc. This is the same with all insurance companies though.

Last edited by DeclanM3; 01-09-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
very annoying when things like this happen

ive taken my car here twice... also taken my previous car here once aswell

use to go to school with the owners son

http://www.bamotors.com.au/
1848 Princes Hwy, Clayton,
Victoria, Australia 3168

t. +61 3 9543 7777

^^ down the road from Monash Clayton !!!

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
farkas007

My Ride: 330ci M Sport
...whats the stress, , call insurance and take your car to BMW service centre... that's if you had your car fully insured...
Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
ASSAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by farkas007 View Post
...whats the stress, , call insurance and take your car to BMW service centre... that's if you had your car fully insured...
even if fully insured u still get a not at fault claim logged against you and as others have said, it can impact on your premium.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
Connections

My Ride: 2001 320i e46
AAMI is very *****ey to deal with on one of my old cars some ***** hit it,

It was very hard to deal with them and the assessors...

If you want special bumpers be prepared to cough up the cash for extra because AAMI wont hahah
Old 01-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
ASSAIL

my ex gf's 180sx got written off by someone that pulled out infront of her.

they were aami insured and the assessor checked out the car and offered $xx,xxx. I told him to go through the specifcs of the valuation for me. He got to rims and tyres and goes "$500".
I asked him where he got that figure from and he replies "you can get rims in that size on the internet for $500"
"aah and what does that have to do with the rims on THIS car?"
"well theyre the same size and look similar"

I laughed at him and told him to go and do a proper valuation. then he asked me what price id accept and i told him a price that was a few grand higher than what he initially offered. he laughed and said "thats not going to happen"

i told him to value the car properly and if its under what i just told you im not accepting it and will contest it.

the next day he called my g/f complaining that i was a prick but that he'd payout the figure i asked for and we can keep the car.

ended up parting it out and making a few grand more than what had been spent on the car
Old 01-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #16
Miss325

My Ride: 05 325CiC Individual
I know exactly how you feel, it really sucks when things like this happen. You probably know I just had my car in the shop having a bit of body work being done and painted, and within the week that I picked it up, my car got hit. I had it parked in a friend's driveway, and the neighbour opposite left their handbrake off and their car rolled down their driveway and smacked my car

If you insurance company is reasonable and willing to listen to you, ask them if you can pay the differance in price between the standard bumper you are entitled to, and the Mtech you want. I asked the assessor about this (incidentaly they send someone out to you, you don't have to go and see them at all with my insurer), and he said it was definately possible, so it's worth a try!

If you are't at fault, ringing your insurer and leaving them with all the details of the at fault driver will make your life so much easier, as your insurance company will do all the leg work and chase up the other insurer, also by doing this you won't have your no claim bonus effected at all

I used to be with NRMA back when they seemed to be half decent (although so expensive thinking about it makes me want to cry), then ditched them for AAMI. AAMI seemed ok but then kicked up a stink about my mods (which I am not willing to lie about, in the event that I had an at fault accident). Now I am with Just Car and I can not praise them enough, they've been great throughout the whole ordeal, and cover all my mods with genuine parts, with my stereo and wheels also being seperatly insured by them.

Goodluck with your repairs!

Last edited by Miss325; 01-10-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Miss325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #17
tonee

My Ride: BMW 320Ci, GSX-R1000
If you do need to bring it to an AAMI aproved repairer, I bring mine to Gladstone in West Melbourne. They're one of the best AAMI ones out there as they do mostley euro prestige cars

BTW, how much is your YOUi premium?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:47 AM   #18
Yumyum

My Ride: E46Coupe's passenger
AAMI is fine as an insurer as long as they're YOUR insurer. If your someone else's customer, they can be as stingy as they want to be. Being under AAMI i actually like them, minus the part about only getting things done with their people but they're quick and efficient with the processing.
Yumyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 AM   #19
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss325 View Post
also by doing this you won't have your no claim bonus effected at all

Now I am with Just Car and I can not praise them enough, they've been great throughout the whole ordeal, and cover all my mods with genuine parts, with my stereo and wheels also being seperatly insured by them.
You are right, whilst your NCD is not effected, your premium can be next year round. I know of a couple of insurance companies that do not operate like this but i know for a fact youi does. I am not try to slander youi in any way, most companies will raise their premiums if you make a not at fault claim through them because whilst it does not cost them a cent to repair the car, they do have to use time and resources to chase the other company down.

Just car insurance is run by AAMI, its a very similar product but they allow for more mods.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #20
Yumyum

My Ride: E46Coupe's passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan325 View Post
Just car insurance is run by AAMI, its a very similar product but they allow for more mods.
Yes, but from what I know, Just Car costs a hell of a lot more.
Yumyum is offline   Reply With Quote