E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
waz664

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
e60 SSK rubs on the Guibo

So after hearing great reviews of using the e60 shifter as a budget ssk, I did that while I installed a shifter refresh kit. Everything buttoned up nice and seemed to work well. I have an 2001 330Ci with 230K so the original was pretty loose. Naturally it all felt better after the refresh and new shift except that it rested under 5th gear in neutral instead of 3rd.

Now I am in the process of changing out the Guibo and when I removed it, I noticed wear marks where it was rubbing the selector rod. I installed the transmission support so it would rest in the proper position and with the new Guibo in place, there is almost no clearance with the selector. Maybe 1mm, but too close for comfort.

I am surprised that nobody has reported something similar which leads me to believe that I may have installed something wrong.

Open to all thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160224_110500.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	625047   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160224_110506.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	625048   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160224_111058.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	625049   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160224_111525.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	625050  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160224_111531.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	625051  

Last edited by waz664; 02-24-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added pictures
waz664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: used to be an auto
Worried because I just bought my E60 lever as well. Your lever isnt installed flipped, correct? It bends towards the rear of the car
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
waz664

It does bend towards the back of the car, but that was a good thought. It prompted me to double check and I added some pictures to the original post. The interior picture was rotated when it uploaded, but that was taken from the drivers side looking towards the passenger seat.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
CarbonZHP

Very weird. Well I'm swapping to manual on monday with this shifter. Ill let you know if anything weird happens. I know plenty of people run this shifter without problems
Old 02-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
waz664

Yes, and to clarify I have had this in the car for about a year so this is not catastrophic. However, I got that car at 225k miles so I have no idea how it shifted when new and have no baseline. This could be completely normal and just a little clearance is all that is needed, but I was hoping someone could verify that it is supposed to be that close.

While I have the drive line apart, I want to make sure this is all correct. Looking forward to your observations and feedback.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
CarbonZHP

The fact that it rests below 5th is what annoys me the most
Old 02-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
waz664

I honestly can't remember if the original was also resting under 5th. As I understand it, that could also be sue to the transmission detent pins, but that is a subject for another thread. I may swap back to the original to see how the alignment looks and to establish a better baseline.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
CarbonZHP

Ill take as many pictures as I can but Ill be rushing to do the whole job in one day
Old 03-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
CarbonZHP

I've been running the shifter for a few days now. I have no issues with rubbing. My guess would be that you installed the shift linkage backwards. The arm has a certain bend to it that curves it over the guibo
Old 03-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #10
waz664

Ok, thanks so much for the reply. With everything re-installed, I couldn't tell there was a bend, but maybe if I take it apart again, it will be apparent.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
CarbonZHP

My rod definitely had a bend on one end. When I threw it in, it was pretty apparent that it would rub

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #12
waz664

Ok I removed the arm and there is definitely a bend and once flipped, there was plenty of Guibo clearance. Much thanks to CarbonZHP for all the follow-up! So this was certainly installer error (me), but to warn everyone else, the arm easily fits in the wrong position and I was able to drive for a year that way. I only noticed an issue when changing out the Guibo itself and could see that it was rubbing.

When installed properly, with the bend closest to the transmission, there is easily 1/2 inch of clearance with the Guibo.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
CarbonZHP

Glad to help

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tags
e60, guibo, rubbing, ssk