E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #161
jphesterly

My Ride: 02 Tahoe and 93 RX-7
i have a 2005 330ci zhp that is needing a new starter. do i need the starter with threaded mounting holes or without? i can provide the links if needed.
jphesterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #162
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Have you tried www.realoem.com to see exactly what starter they list for your specific VIN?
Best alternative to that is to get in there and read the model number off of the actual starter.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #163
jphesterly

My Ride: 02 Tahoe and 93 RX-7
it's listing both models. dealership wants $1100 to change it out. Yikes
jphesterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #164
Stinger9

$1100 is overpriced, even for the dealer.
But it is a nasty job.
See attached work.

Last edited by Stinger9; 05-08-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #165
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Many thanks to the OP (newtuner). He hasn't been here in a while but I thought I'd say thanks anyway and share some notes for the next guy. I successfully changed the starter in my 03 coupe using these instructions. Replaced due to a screeching/crunching sound after starting the car cold.

- The cockamamie doohickey in step 14 really works. The E12 engages the bolt squarely so there's no chance of slip. Instead of a ratchet at the end I did have a breaker bar. Also, where he suggests a 6" and 10" extension end-on-end, I just had a single 18" extension. Believe it or not, the bottom bolt is not where you'll get bloodied up.

- For the top bolt, I didn't need to move anything out of the way other than the suggested cabin filter, AC blower cover and brake shield. What I DID have was a 3/8" Flex Head Gear Wrench. If you're doing this job, the $15 you pay for this tool is well worth it. Because it's a ratcheting wrench, you can position it perfectly to apply your full weight to break the seize, and later on to apply your weight to tighten it. The 3/8" size Gear Wrench engages the bolt perfectly, not loose, not tight, but just right.

- The replacement motor you'll get will likely be the bigger one. It looks like it won't go in (because the outgoing motor was a tight enough fit) but I assure you it will. Read the guide carefully, particularly the details.

- If your motor is frozen after removing the two bolts, you can pry it out between the back of the solenoid and the transmission bell housing. You don't have to pry it a lot. Just enough to break the seize on the alignment pin and you can wiggle it out the rest of the way.

- After you pull the motor out of the housing, point it up, then use your extensions to reach and undo the connections. The starter comes out through the bottom of the car, terminal side first. If you removed the fuel filter shield as suggested the motor will come out without drama.

- Reinstalling the motor is the mirrored reverse. Goes in with the terminal facing you, get it up in there and reinstall the cables, then rotate into position. There's not much space but as you rotate it into position, move the cables around it, and it will pop into position.

- Get a steel brush to polish the alignment pin and apply anti-seize. Every bit to ease re-installation counts.

- Last is a Flex Head Gear Wrench (13mm) to tighten the main terminal on the starter. The main cables are short, so final torque needs to be applied while the motor is deep in the engine bay. There's no way to hold the starter motor and apply torque on a ratchet with an extension. There IS a way however to hold the motor and tug on a ratcheted wrench to get it nice and tight. You'll know what I mean when you're doing it.

I'll update this post with pictures when I get the chance. Just wanted to say thanks to newtuner and to endorse the instructions. I spent 4 hours to remove the motor, then spent another 4 hours the next day to get the new starter in and button everything back up. Took my time, cleaned everything as I went, and analyzed the situation. If you have the luxury to take a break in between as I did, take it. You'll need your wits with this one, but it's a repair very doable for anyone with a few E46 DIYs under their belt.

Last edited by cvx5832; 04-04-2013 at 09:03 AM.
cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #166
newtuner

My Ride: '04 330CI, M package
Thanks cvx5832, ya I havent had a chance to hang out here as work keeps me busy. I was shocked that my thread has had almost 64,000 views. That makes the time it took to make the write up worth it. Thanks for adding the updated tips on new tools that can be used to help a guy along. I have gotten a funny look from even mechanics when I told them I changed out this starter. lol I guess they know what a pain this is. Happy wrenching guys. Cheers
newtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #167
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Did this job yesterday. What a pain in the ass! It look a LOT longer than anticipated. The wobbler and u-joint extensions are a must! I would recommend getting a 3/8 to 3/8 wobbler extension.

Hope to not do that job anytime again soon!
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #168
yetitheyeti

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I might have missed some else asking this question but
Anyone done this using this DIY on a 5spd?
Is there Any difference?
yetitheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #169
westly7

My Ride: 04 325ci
newbie here but is this diy gonna be the same for 04 325ci? gonna tackle this in 2days
zhank you
westly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #170
bwaymire

My Ride: bmw 323i
I really don't know; but a quick google suggests it is a hard to get location. Good Luck!
bwaymire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #171
westly7

and should i rebuild mine on local starter shop since its oem or get replacement? waiting time is no prob for me
Old 06-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #172
Stinger9

Totally depends on the quality of the starter shop rebuild. Do you have that much knowledge of them along with faith?

Starter replacement is very similar across all models and years.
It is a nasty job.

Last edited by Stinger9; 06-08-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #173
westly7

i rebuilt my last starter and alternator of my nissan 240sx there and last till today (4years)
im excited to get this done
Old 06-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #174
bwaymire

My Ride: bmw 323i
Just my 2 cents...I would replace the starter rather than rebuild since the replacement is more likely to last longer. I hope to never have to replace another BMW starter again.
bwaymire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #175
westly7

nevermind,i got it out just now with bit of busted knukles

Last edited by westly7; 06-17-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #176
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by westly7 View Post
nevermind,i got it out just now with bit of busted knukles

Any additional tips to add to the first two posts on this thread? ?
Some detail that might have been overlooked.

Last edited by Stinger9; 06-30-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #177
jizzzoe

My Ride: is no longer E46 :(
Send a message via Yahoo to jizzzoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Any tips for us who have never come close to seeing the starter in their car?
LOL yes: Go back to post #1 and read this thread, and get someone who is mechanically inclined to help you

My Steel Gray '03 330Ci... I miss you, baby!
MODS: Purely aesthetic… Shadowlined, Smoked and LED'd out!
jizzzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #178
svdw

My Ride: 2003 325XI
DIY: Starter Replacement...Finally!!!

My car is back on the road thanks to this DIY. About 6 hours of work and $400 saved. Thank you!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
svdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #179
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdw View Post
My car is back on the road thanks to this DIY.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #180
svdw

My Ride: 2003 325XI
DIY: Starter Replacement...Finally!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I suggest reading through the first page of this thread in addition to the step by step instructions. It was helpful. I ended up buying a remanufactured Bosch unit to replace my Denso starter that had failed. After core charge with the new starter and a new 3/8 universal joint I am only into this project about $150.

Now to fix the window regulator and then my beloved xi will up for sale.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
svdw is offline   Reply With Quote