E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
matt330coupe

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Can't decide whether to wait for a more OEM color or spring on these. Either way, thanks for the great write-up
matt330coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #22
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALE46 View Post
Mike I just PM'ed you.
Thanks for the order

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt330coupe View Post
Can't decide whether to wait for a more OEM color or spring on these. Either way, thanks for the great write-up
Just go for it
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #23
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDon View Post
Nice complete write-up and pictures!

I wonder why this kit does not include resister packs that plug in between the rings and wiring harness like EAS Auroras and Orion V2s have.
I'm not sure what the benefits of the resister packs are, less heat? brighter LED output? longer life? I'm sure they're included for some good reason.
Thanks Don! For the "resistor packs" I am not sure either. If I had to guess it would be to drop down the voltage closer to 12v to avoid any current spikes or the like frying the LEDs. Thus increasing reliability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@F1 AutohaŘs View Post
Great review! Much appreciated

Anyone that needs a set can contact me via PM or e-mail.
Mike, it is us Halogen owners who are appreciative. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt330coupe View Post
Thanks Matt! If you are on the fence like I was I say go ahead and do it now. For one, what if the manufacturer never decides to offer them in the OEM yellow? Plus, after getting them installed you will be 3/4 of the way there if they ever are offered. Most of the work is in routing and connecting the harness anyways. All that would be left to do would be to swap out the rings themselves.

For what its worth, I am glad I went ahead and purchased them.

Last edited by GCoop; 01-18-2010 at 02:40 PM.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #24
EJL486

My Ride: E46, E34
Pre Order and Order Process: I just wanted to take a minute and offer some thanks. I ordered my angel eye kit from Mike@F1Autohaus following GCoop's inital review. Contrary to some other sponsors on the site, *cough umnitza *cough, Mike was not only very easy to contact, but was extremely helpful. Placing the order was easy (I dont use paypal... and google checkout is awesome). Mike kept me updated on my order status with absolutely no attitude (again contrary to other sponsors...). My order shipped on the 14th and I had it on the 16th (saturday!). getting them on saturday instead of monday allowed me to install them sunday (was out of town, otherwise i'd have torn apart my headlights the second the ups guy showed up).

The Install: The parts arrived, all in the expected proper working condition with all necessary parts included. I used the FastM guide for the wiring harness and was on my feet in no time. The FastM guide is great for everything but tapping into the footwell lights for the fade on/off functionality. Thanks to a forum member, StahlBlau3, I had not only someone who answered my question right away, but also gave me his phone number in case things went awry. After passing the wire through the heat shield, taking out the glove box, and tapping the footwell light, I was free to lock and unlock my car continuously for the rest of the night!

Thoughts/Wrap up: Ultimately, the install was time consuming (for me as I am a wiring noob ) and took around 3 1/2 hours. The install of these angel eyes is absolutely NO different than any other kit out there and will take no more or less time. The color of the lights is white (I wanted a more OEM yellow but have the patience of a 3 year old) - regardless of the color not being exactly what I want, its still awesome! I love them and couldn't be happier. the guys over at F1 Autohaus are competent, reliable, and friendly.

Pics: I will be taking pictures ASAP (hopefully tonight after work) - unfortunately, while in atlanta for the weekend, I got blasted by a rock on 85/75 and I am getting a new windshield installed today.

* I am writing this because I am so happy with the product and have dealt with/am dealing with bad sponsors on the site. F1Autohaus did not cut me a deal or anything, I'm just one happy customer!

2003 325i 5MT Pics of Car
1995 530i 5MT
1986 535i 5MT sold
http://www.bmwusfactory.com
http://www.thebmwpartstore.com
PSN: EJL486 - Actively Playing: GT5, Battlefield 3, Madden '12
EJL486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #25
GCoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJL486 View Post
Pre Order and Order Process: I just wanted to take a minute and offer some thanks. I ordered my angel eye kit from Mike@F1Autohaus following GCoop's inital review. Contrary to some other sponsors on the site, *cough umnitza *cough, Mike was not only very easy to contact, but was extremely helpful. Placing the order was easy (I dont use paypal... and google checkout is awesome). Mike kept me updated on my order status with absolutely no attitude (again contrary to other sponsors...). My order shipped on the 14th and I had it on the 16th (saturday!). getting them on saturday instead of monday allowed me to install them sunday (was out of town, otherwise i'd have torn apart my headlights the second the ups guy showed up).

The Install: The parts arrived, all in the expected proper working condition with all necessary parts included. I used the FastM guide for the wiring harness and was on my feet in no time. The FastM guide is great for everything but tapping into the footwell lights for the fade on/off functionality. Thanks to a forum member, StahlBlau3, I had not only someone who answered my question right away, but also gave me his phone number in case things went awry. After passing the wire through the heat shield, taking out the glove box, and tapping the footwell light, I was free to lock and unlock my car continuously for the rest of the night!

Thoughts/Wrap up: Ultimately, the install was time consuming (for me as I am a wiring noob ) and took around 3 1/2 hours. The install of these angel eyes is absolutely NO different than any other kit out there and will take no more or less time. The color of the lights is white (I wanted a more OEM yellow but have the patience of a 3 year old) - regardless of the color not being exactly what I want, its still awesome! I love them and couldn't be happier. the guys over at F1 Autohaus are competent, reliable, and friendly.

Pics: I will be taking pictures ASAP (hopefully tonight after work) - unfortunately, while in atlanta for the weekend, I got blasted by a rock on 85/75 and I am getting a new windshield installed today.

* I am writing this because I am so happy with the product and have dealt with/am dealing with bad sponsors on the site. F1Autohaus did not cut me a deal or anything, I'm just one happy customer!
Congrats! Sorry to hear about the windshield catastrophy. Cant wait to see your pics.

Right now, as far as I can tell, you might be only the second person in the US to rock a halogen specific angel eye kit.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #26
j suede

My Ride: 2004 330i zhp
nice review. very detailed.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #27
allthem

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Received my box today

Thanks Mike for the great service, and thanks to GCoop for getting this all started.

ill post more pics after the install, hopefully this weekend.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #28
EJL486

My Ride: E46, E34
ok, so bear with me, I'm a horrible photographer, taking pictures of lights, at night.. sorry, but I get to work before the sun is up and I dont get off work until the sun has set.
awesomeness.. (in person the light isnt as blue as it appears. it is truly bright white)

with lights off so you can see how normal the car looks when lights are off.

another off to see NO GAPS, perfect fitment, and subtle appearance...

still have to get my DRL's off

and 1 last night shot

this is the OEM Tischer M illuminated shift knob

like I said before, I couldn't be happier. guys, remember I suck with a camera! in person, the angel eyes are more defined and really, I swear, the light isnt as dispersed as it seems in some pictures. its very crisp and clean, and look absolutely awesome. the "pearl necklace effect" is only visible from inside 6 to 8 feet and only if you're paying attention/looking hard at it. (yea I know, thats what she said). any questions, concerns, comments, feel free to ask me!

2003 325i 5MT Pics of Car
1995 530i 5MT
1986 535i 5MT sold
http://www.bmwusfactory.com
http://www.thebmwpartstore.com
PSN: EJL486 - Actively Playing: GT5, Battlefield 3, Madden '12
EJL486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #29
coby1
Just Road Miles

My Ride: 325i sport pkg
Looks great //now if only 4300k was an option.....Please.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #30
GCoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJL486 View Post
ok, so bear with me, I'm a horrible photographer, taking pictures of lights, at night.. sorry, but I get to work before the sun is up and I dont get off work until the sun has set.
awesomeness.. (in person the light isnt as blue as it appears. it is truly bright white)
like I said before, I couldn't be happier. guys, remember I suck with a camera! in person, the angel eyes are more defined and really, I swear, the light isnt as dispersed as it seems in some pictures. its very crisp and clean, and look absolutely awesome. the "pearl necklace effect" is only visible from inside 6 to 8 feet and only if you're paying attention/looking hard at it. (yea I know, thats what she said). any questions, concerns, comments, feel free to ask me!
Lookin' good EJL! Congrats!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #31
Jonas Gotesson

My Ride: BMW 320i M 4dr -01
Quote:
Originally Posted by coby1 View Post
Looks great //now if only 4300k was an option.....Please.
I also hope .....Please

The track car.
Jonas Gotesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #32
Chris-alfonso

My Ride: 330i
Just received mine. About to Install them! Ill post pics later.
Chris-alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #33
allthem

My Ride: 2001 325xi
I finally got these installed friday night, and after two sunless, cloudy days, i decided to go ahead and try taking some pics in the garage.

After installing these i can say i love the way they fit halogen housing, but i still think i would prefer a more OEM color. The 5000k is just so white, against the 4100K PIAA Intense white bulbs, that it really makes the bulbs look more yellow than they did before i installed the rings. Overall though i am very happy with what i have.

Thanks again to Mike and GCoop for making this all happen, and Mike if a 4300k OEM color ever becomes available please let me know.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #34
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs
Past Site Sponsor

Looks great everyone
Old 01-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #35
omni01_k

My Ride: 2014 335i
Hey all. I've been sifting through a lot of these threads to get as much information as I can. Still new to this site as well as to E46's in general (just purchased mine little under a month ago now).

I have a 2004 330i (4dr). It has the Xenon headlights. I really like the angel eye look a lot better and want to convert. I looked at the headlights and they have no placement for the halo rings.

I'm aware that I will have to replace the whole housing unit and that's ok, my question(s) are (and I guess I'm asking you Mike since everyone seems to be buying from you on this thread and are very pleased with the service as well as the product lol I'm more than happy to continue/begin with the support) :

1. Do they happen to make a 1pc housing unit or do I have to order the clear side markers separately?
2. What is, if any, the major difference between CCFL and LED? I only want between 4k-45k out put.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
omni01_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #36
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni01_k View Post
I have a 2004 330i (4dr). It has the Xenon headlights. I really like the angel eye look a lot better and want to convert. I looked at the headlights and they have no placement for the halo rings.

You can fit the LED angel eyes into your stock xenon headlights. You simply have to purchase the xenon specific angel eyes for your car.

I'm aware that I will have to replace the whole housing unit and that's ok, my question(s) are (and I guess I'm asking you Mike since everyone seems to be buying from you on this thread and are very pleased with the service as well as the product lol I'm more than happy to continue/begin with the support) :

1. Do they happen to make a 1pc housing unit or do I have to order the clear side markers separately?

You can purchase the clear side markers by itself to replace your existing amber lens:

2. What is, if any, the major difference between CCFL and LED? I only want between 4k-45k out put.

CCFL require inverters to power the rings and failure on these are common, which leads to multiple replacement overtime. CCFL has cold start up issues as well. With LEDs, no inverters are required and has a much longer life when compared to CCFL. Instant on/off with no delays.

Actual LED color is about 5~5500k, Pure White with no blue hue

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #37
omni01_k

That's good to know.
Do you happen to have these available? I'll go through the site again. If possible, feel free to PM me with pricing etc.
Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #38
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni01_k View Post
That's good to know.
Do you happen to have these available? I'll go through the site again. If possible, feel free to PM me with pricing etc.
Thanks again.
I'm unable to PM you since it's disabled. You might want to turn it on or simply e-mail me.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #39
omni01_k

sorry about that. lol i'll send an email and try to figure out in the mean time how to un-disable it.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #40
omni01_k

here's my current head lights. couldn't figure out how to attach photos through PM. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00808.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	346515   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00809.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	346516