E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Puri13

My Ride: '06 Altima SE-R
Exclamation "Water pump pulley holder" for mechanical fan removal

Working on replacing my Vanos but I can't get my mechanical fan off. It sucks being stumped at step one, but Beisan suggests a specialty tool that I don't have and when I call around no body seems to know what the hell I'm talking about. It's a water pump pulley holder that I'm looking for. So how does it come off without one/what can I use to improvise?

Puri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
BadBoostedBmwM3

My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
The BMW tool is handy, but a little expensive.

I just always back out of the little bolts that hold the water pump pulley, so I can jam a big screwdriver between it. Then, I just use my big adjustable wrench to undo it.

I don't know why I want to say this, but I think the fan seems to be reversed thread since you are working from the front of the car.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Without the WP holder, you just have to put the wrench with a long extension and bang it with a hammer, maybe a few time.
In my case, the resistance provided my the belts was enough to take the fan off without any special tools.+

And yes, the nut is obviously a reverse tread.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Puri13

It is reverse thread and that's the first thing I've made sure of; so facing the front of the car I'm moving the wrench from right to left, that's what BMW told me, counter-clockwise/opposite of the fans normal rotation.

I'm working on jamming a screw driver in there but can't seem to get a grip.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
BadBoostedBmwM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puri13 View Post
It is reverse thread and that's the first thing I've made sure of; so facing the front of the car I'm moving the wrench from right to left, that's what BMW told me, counter-clockwise/opposite of the fans normal rotation.

I'm working on jamming a screw driver in there but can't seem to get a grip.
It will take a few tries, but you will get it. Make sure you backed out one WP pulley bolts enough, so you can jam it between the two.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
I assume you've tried the sledge hammer method already.
If it doesn't work, the only way do unbolt the fan is to get the special tool, or to build one yourself.
A friend of mine and I made such a tool when we replaced his broken water pump and it worked fine though it was a little different from the one shown above.
The water pump pulley has four bolts arranged in a rectangle and their heads protrude toward the front of the car.
We used a thick sheet of steel my friend had in his garage, roughly the lenght of the original tool, but more than twice wider. Near its end we cut out hole with same dimensions as the bolt rectangle, only a little deeper to fit all four bolt heads inside. It was a little tricky fo make the 32-mm wrench and this improvised tool grab the nut and the pulley at the same time, but once this worked we had the fan nut going out alright.
It helped that I was holding the metal sheet and he was turning the wrench. It may not be so easy for one person to do the job.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
whitexi

My Ride: 02 325xi, 98 integra
I got it at BMW for $33 at my cost regular was $40. I got tired of fighting at it with a screwdriver and think it was worth the money compared to the pita factor.
whitexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Puri13

I've got a super long screw driver I manage to jam in to place, I'm afraid the metal on it is too flexible though, I don't know if it'll hold before the bolt decided to break it's grip. I'll wait until someone else comes home to have them hold it and give it was try then.

BMW was no help to me; they just told me the direction to move the bolt and said that a pulley holder wasn't necessary, and that they don't sell tools anyways. Who knows whether they have it or not, I guess it was about closing time so they didn't want to put up a search over the phone.

The sheet metal trick sounds interesting, but we definitely don't have any laying around the house unfortunately.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Megalocnus

What about this one:
http://www.bimmertools.com/Water-Pum...-p/sl61600.htm
Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
whitexi

Go to BMW and give them this part number 83-30-0-491-046 that is the number off my recite and next to it is says " brace", so i hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
Puri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
That's definitely what I need, I was hoping to find it locally though since I'm ready to go with a table of parts and tools in front of me. Obviously if nothing else works they I don't have much of a choice BUT, I'll keep trying...
Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
whitexi

Here put the part number in here and it came up. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214672
so order it from BMW and when it comes in tell them " wow the part fairy got me a BMW tool" becuase there full of crap by saying they can't order it.

Last edited by whitexi; 01-12-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
Puri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitexi View Post
Go to BMW and give them this part number 83-30-0-491-046 that is the number off my recite and next to it is says " brace", so i hope this helps.
Thanks for the #. I think they close at six though so if nothing else I'll run down there tomorrow and get it.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #14
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Complements from Smolck of bimmerfest

The premise behind the dead blow whack is analogous to having a dining table full of glassware and one yanks the table cloth from underneath really fast. The table cloth comes out, while the plates, dishes, glasses, and silverware remain on the table and in relatively the same position. Fan clutch loosens, but water pump and pulley left unscathed.

Last edited by genuity; 01-12-2010 at 07:57 PM.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #15
Puri13

Sh1t! I do believe my car is leaking coolant. I know I could have hit a few different things yesterday but what are the odds that I've killed my water pump? Engine temp stayed normal but I had white smoke coming from the engine bay, near the alternator under the air box.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
First off, you are hitting your wrench in the wrong direction. The wrench should move from left to right since it is reverse thread. Secondly, it is possible that you damaged your upper radiator hose. It happened to me.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
Puri13

Thanks Hartman, I wrote the direction I was hitting after I called BMW which is what they said, but we only knocked it around in the wrong direction a couple of times.

I'm going to drop it off with my mechanic tonight, do you think it's okay to drive on, how much do I have to worry about over heating for a 10-15 minute highway drive?
Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #18
Megalocnus

This whole hammering business can potentially result in damage to the upper radiator hose, the thermostat, and what not. I wouldn't go that far to propose the water pump can be damaged, but it is not entirely impossible.
Take the undertray off, see if there are any leaks, trace them to their sources. You can decide then what are your chances to get safely to your mechanic, or maybe you'd be able to fix whatever was broken yourself.
In any case, pay close attention to the engine temp and the coolant level warning while you drive. You can take a couple of gallons of dist. water with you to be able to stop and refill if the leak is bad.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #19
Puri13

Got to the mechanics okay and we'll be out of town for the weekend so he'll have plenty of time to check that and some of the smaller oil/ps steering line leaks I've got.

I'd assume the thermostat is fine considering is reads well and adjusts the temperature as I go. Long shot or not I'm thinking it could possibly be the water pump (which is probably going to need replacing soon anyways) or, more likely, the upper radiator hose.

Keeps your fingers crossed for me and I'll update Tuesday when I'm back in town!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #20
BadBoostedBmwM3

Damn, I have never tried the dead blow technique before.... it seems like something could be damaged though.

I might just stick to my screwdriver technique.