E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
CPV

My Ride: 2001 330i
2001 330i spark plug problem

So I recently changed spark plugs to the Bosch Platinum 4417. Soon thereafter, the "Service Engine Soon" light appeared off an on over the past couple of weeks. Talked to a BMW specialty shop who tells me they often see problems with the Bosch spark plugs (engine miss, rough, etc) and suggested going back to the original NGKs.
Anyone have this similar problem?? Thanks.
CPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
oovvutt

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Bosch suck. Period.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
The majority suggest NGKs because of that reason.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
i have heard good things about Bosch platinum 4's i had no Choice and had to get OEM replacement Bosch from the dealer. put them in and had the same problesm miss fires rough idle ect took em back to dealer and they game me my money back used!

NGK or go home

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by oovvutt View Post
Bosch suck. Period.
You are very uninformed.
Bosch is OEM product as well as NGK.
That spark plug shouldnt cause any problems to your motor, as its the right one for it, as long as it was installed properly.

I use Bosch, and will use on every BMW I will own.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
E46330iguy

^maybe he didnt get 4 prong?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Old 01-13-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
You are very uninformed.
Bosch is OEM product as well as NGK.
That spark plug shouldnt cause any problems to your motor, as its the right one for it, as long as it was installed properly.

I use Bosch, and will use on every BMW I will own.
Most BMW professionals will recommend dealer OE plugs. Yes, they cost a fortune, but they are different than the OEM NGKs that you get online or at the parts store even though the part numbers cross reference. Spend the additional money to avoid the misfires and low power that many (not all) experience in 5k to 30k miles after new plug installation.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:54 AM   #8
2004bmw330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci 3pedals!
The E36 had alot of problems with Bosh...but as for the E46 I've never heard of any problems with bosh...
2004bmw330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #9
mkodama

I've heard this time and time again with the Bosch vs. the NGK. I truly have no clue as to why either, since Bosch is a quality company just like NGK, and make many other parts of the E46. Bosch occasionally have problems, but NGK are flawless.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
switch to NGK and see if that solves your problem. While your in there, search for other common things that cause misfires, like a torn intake boot.
Also have your coils been recalled? Check to see if they are Bremi.
Or maybe the connections to your coils are just loose

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
I use Bosch Platinum +4, no problem at all and I like them very much, make sure that all the plugs are tight and the two ground wires on coil #1 and #6 are connected properly. You can also switch back to the old NGKs to see it is indeed the Bosch plugs are causing the problem. I highly doubt it!

Last edited by taibinhvuong; 01-13-2010 at 08:49 AM.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
RhFactorUs

My Ride: 330i
..I think I will be swapping in some new plugs. I have been having a weird "shut down" noise when I park. Sounds like its stalling when I turn the car off. So annoying cause its intermittent.

Any ideas?
RhFactorUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPV View Post
So I recently changed spark plugs to the Bosch Platinum 4417. Soon thereafter, the "Service Engine Soon" light appeared off an on over the past couple of weeks. Talked to a BMW specialty shop who tells me they often see problems with the Bosch spark plugs (engine miss, rough, etc) and suggested going back to the original NGKs.
Anyone have this similar problem?? Thanks.
Had the same problem is both of my E46 330i/Ci's. Once they had the NGK for whatever reason they ran like a top! It was odd, because I'd never had a noticeable difference when changing out spark plugs. But once the NGK were in, the car felt new and revitalized.

Bosch makes fantastic products, and I in fact just purchase their plugs for my E28 M30, but for whatever reason the M52/4 seems to respond better to the NGKs.

Because of this we have created kits with both, but I always recommend the NGK for the 330's.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!

Last edited by ECSTuning; 01-13-2010 at 11:45 AM.
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
chirag425

My Ride: 02 M3
i installed bosch from adanced auto and my car is smoother and hasn't had any problems at all.. just make sure you get bosch with 4 prongs like someone else mentioned.. first, they gave me with only 1 prong.. lol..
chirag425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
mujjuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag425 View Post
i installed bosch from adanced auto and my car is smoother and hasn't had any problems at all.. just make sure you get bosch with 4 prongs like someone else mentioned.. first, they gave me with only 1 prong.. lol..
yeah def dont do 4 prong.

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 01-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
yeah def dont do 4 prong.
What? are cars come with 4 prong for a reason. my friend put 1 prong NGK's on his ci and it threw codes. The BMW tec i talked to said that the engines are meant for 4 prong spark plugs. as far as im conscenrd use what ever the car come from the factory unless they are champion

Bosch Does make a good product Back in the day Champion plugs where good but they where bought out and the orginal owner of Champion made a new brand called bosch. Well i think thats how the sory goes

Old 01-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
RealOEM gives very specific part numbers for both Bosch and NGK plugs: Bosch FGR7DQP and NGK BKR6EQUP.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...51&hg=12&fg=05

It's quite possible that Bosch uses the description "Platinum +4" to refer to a whole line of plugs, with many different part numbers and applications. So to say that you bought "Bosch plugs" isn't particularly meaningful.

Also, the Bentley manual recommends the aforementioned NGKs.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
mujjuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
What? are cars come with 4 prong for a reason. my friend put 1 prong NGK's on his ci and it threw codes. The BMW tec i talked to said that the engines are meant for 4 prong spark plugs. as far as im conscenrd use what ever the car come from the factory unless they are champion

Bosch Does make a good product Back in the day Champion plugs where good but they where bought out and the orginal owner of Champion made a new brand called bosch. Well i think thats how the sory goes
OOPs that was a typo.. lol.

i meant 1 prong... i meant "definitely dont do 1 prong" while thinking "definitely DO 4 prong"

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
CPV

My Ride: 2001 330i
Thanks all. Put the NGK's back in last night. So far, so good. Will let you know what I find out over the next few weeks. Very odd. I've never had a spark plug issue in all my days (this is my 5th BMW). Have owned big and small block Chevy's and Fords over my years (use to have a job rebuilding those and never experienced a problem like this unless the plug was cracked/bad). Thanks again.
CPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #20
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
Are they 4 prongs? Did you see any unusual thing on the Bosch plugs, check gap to see any one is mis-gaped or oily something like that, and give us the update.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote