E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
plmbst

My Ride: '03 325 xit
Auto trans cooler lines

Has anyone done a replacement of these? Tischer and REM do not list the parts- I'm thinking big $$.
plmbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
NoVaDreier

My Ride: 2001 325i
Not yet, but I always inspect them everytime I'm under the car.

Are yours leaking? Here are the part numbers according to the RealOEM TIS. On the Tischer site, #4 and #5 are listed at $72.06 and $90.33, respectively. They're not too expensive if you can DIY and make sure the transmission fluid level is correct after the repair. Although you might just need to replace the o-rings at the transmission connections, you'll need a tool like this to remove the old line and install the new lines at the autotranny cooler end (#1). You probably should change the ATF, filter, and pan gasket when you replace the ATF cooler lines if you haven't changed the ATF in the last 30,000 miles.
NoVaDreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
plmbst

Yup, they're leaking, though I checked the fluid level when I discovered the staining on the lower engine bay cover, and the level is fine.
Good point re: the o-rings. I searched Pelican and they can get them, I guess I missed them at Tischer, I'll look again.
The OEM pic makes it seem that the lines are one continuous pipe or tube, but the leak is occurring where the metal tubing from the trans transitions to flex under the crank pulley.
This is a warm weather fix since it appears to be seepage.
AAnd the pricing is not as bad as I thought it would be.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
MIRoundel

My Ride: E36\5, E46 325ia
First of all you need to know where is a leaking point.
In most cases it leaks from the "quick-connect coupling" and there is no need to replace the whole hose.
Probable you just need to replace O-rings.

Here is the picture of "quick-connect coupling" and O-ring is marked with RED colour.
MIRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
plmbst

Has anyone replaced their trans cooler lines?

I finally got an opportunity to replace these leakers, but I've run into problems removing them. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.
P
Old 04-22-2010, 05:15 AM   #6
MIRoundel

My Ride: E36\5, E46 325ia
Here are some tips:
1) First of all look at the new hose and try to use "quick-connect coupling". In BMW TIS you can find the following image.
Put some pressure on plastic gray socket (3) -> it will release blocking spring (2) inside coupling.

2) Now start removing.
- Push return hose/line towards the front of the car.
- Use your fingers to press (3) to the back of the car as it's mentioned in the first step and release the hose to the back of the car. I know that it's not too much free space but it's possible.

The key point is to try and understand how the "quick-connect coupling" works.
MIRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:49 AM   #7
plmbst

Thanks for the reply. In my hurry to get my request posted I didn't make myself very clear. Both ends (cooler & trans) are disconnected. I need info on removing the two lines from the vehicle. Right now it looks like the driver side motor mount along with its support bracket are going to have to be removed.
The diagram you posted was spot on.
You don't even need a removal tool, however I did shoot P Blaster into each connector to flush out any crud.
The trans end requires dropping the front drive shaft, but that's necessary to fill/check fluid anyway.
Surprisingly little fluid loss BTW.
Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
plmbst

Success

Quite a project, but the key was removing the engine mount & its bracket. The dipstick tube, which attaches to the mount bracket, also had to go. I also did an ATF fluid change since the vehicle was up on 4 stands anyway.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
///Flash
Banned

My Ride: a donkey
thanx. need to try this
///Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
introspekt408

My Ride: ---328i
Sorry to revive but what steps.were needed to remove the motor.mount and bracket? And also did you remove rom the top?
introspekt408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
Heilbronner

My Ride: BMW 323i
Hi,
My 2000 323i (104k miles) got a sudden transmission fluid leak (about 1 liter) at its cooler pipe connector on its transmission end (metal pipes), could I just loose the connector, pump some new fluid through it for the lost fluid there before replacing the 2 seals? It looks the vertical position of the connector is higher than that of filling hole, right? How much is the torque for the connector mounting on the transmission?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Heilbronner; 01-02-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Heilbronner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
Augster

My Ride: 2008 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspekt408 View Post
Sorry to revive but what steps.were needed to remove the motor.mount and bracket? And also did you remove rom the top?
I apologize for reviving an old thread, but this is for any future DIYers that may have questions on removing and installing a transmission oil cooler line and I think this thread contains valuable information.

It's not necessary to remove an engine mount, raise the engine, nor remove any other non-transmission related part other than the lower aluminum engine cover. You could do so to make it "easier" to get the line snaked out and in, but it may be more trouble than its worth.

You must be patient and have plenty of room beneath the car, then it all comes down to twisting, rotating, turning, pulling, and pushing (at both ends at times), following and guiding the bends and hose end of the line around various components; namely the steering column. You may have to apply only mild force once or twice to temporarily "bend" the hard line slightly in order to get it slip past a couple points, but nothing drastic (certainly do NOT kink the hard line in any which way).
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
mcbonio

My Ride: 330ci sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRoundel View Post
First of all you need to know where is a leaking point.
In most cases it leaks from the "quick-connect coupling" and there is no need to replace the whole hose.
Probable you just need to replace O-rings.

Here is the picture of "quick-connect coupling" and O-ring is marked with RED colour.
Does anyone know what size these o-rings are that sit inside the coupling connector?
mcbonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
iRide113

My Ride: 2004 325i
Can anyone help removing it from the tranny side? Seems impossible to get in there...
iRide113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
Augster

I can't remember whether I pulled forward or pulled rearward (towards tranny) when removing line; I believe I pulled it forward because it was the shorter distance if I recall correctly...
Old 12-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
iRide113

I can't seem to remove the screw that is holding it on the tranny side... How did you get in there to remove screw?

Last edited by iRide113; 12-29-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Augster

Remove bolt listed as item #10 in the illustration:

This secures the hold-down clamp that is permanently attached to the upper line while the lower line fits into its lower U-shaped channel. With the bolt removed, pull the two lines outboard to the left (driver's side) simultaneously.

On second thought, perhaps I may have pulled line out towards the rear. Heck, I'm so unsure at this point that you have to look at which end is shorter relative to the steering column. Pull the line out towards the longer end.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
iRide113

I got that, I just can't remove the bolt. It feels stuck. How did you end up removing it? There isn't enough room to use a socket and ratchet so your stuck with a regular open ended wrench... The problem that there isn't enough room to move around in there. I can't get leverage to pry it loose...

Last edited by iRide113; 12-29-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
Augster

It's been 6 months, so you may need to refresh my memory by posting some good, clear photos of the area in question. I can't remember if I removed the shift linkage to gain more room; I believe I did...

I've done so much more work in the interim, both on the E46 (radiator replacement, front bumper removal, sanding and priming in preparation for repainting the hood, quarter panel and one front fender), on top of my E90 (water pump, undercarriage panels, alternator)...

Last edited by Augster; 12-29-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
iRide113

Auto trans cooler lines

As best as I could get under there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1388370714.322158.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	540481
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1388370734.001141.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	540482

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by iRide113; 12-29-2013 at 08:34 PM.