E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Umnitza Mtech2 Vs. Duraflex Mtech2

Well I 've been looking for some affordable bumpers, got two candidates..

1) Umnitza PolyPropylene Mtech2.
I did some research, I never found that they have bad fitment issue.
It's made of PP, same as OEM(as far as I know), so I won't have to worry about durability.
Cheap, fine quality, reliable sponsor. Only unconfirmed thing is fitment.

2) Duraflex Mtech2
I found a guy on this forum, he has duraflex mtech2 for sale. Price was really attractive.
I've heard that duraflex has great durability even though it's fiberglass.
There's not many threads about Duraflex, so I couldn't get much information. Google wasn't helpful either.

Obviously, biggest concern is fitment issue.
I don't even know they have mounting points! After I saw this thread, I started to doubt aftermarket bumpers..
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...php?p=10061510

My head's about to get exploded lol.
I know the best option is euro-spec, but I can't really afford it at this moment.
$400 shipped + painting + college tuition = out of budget dsafasdfdsajopafd

Tell me what you think. Which one should I go for?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
I have the same one that umnitza sells(didn't buy from them though). Fitment is great.
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
sub'd because I'm in the same exact situation as you man.... I needz Mtech on the cheap

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
I haven't heard a single good thing about Duraflex except from the marketing of the company that sells it... Just saying.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:42 AM   #5
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
^Yeah I never heard of good things about duraflex except that they are better than some regular fiberglass products..
New item's price is almost same as euro-spec or any other reputable sponsors.

On the other hand, Umnitza bumper is $140+option, shipping fee is not bad either. Of course it's brand new.
Well, some wise man said cheap things are cheap for reason..lol
But if they have great fitment as Supra said, then Umnitza would be the best option for me I guess??
Old 08-16-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Modbargains

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Duraflex? What

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89 View Post

1) Umnitza PolyPropylene Mtech2.
I did some research, I never found that they have bad fitment issue.
It's made of PP, same as OEM(as far as I know), so I won't have to worry about durability.
Cheap, fine quality, reliable sponsor. Only unconfirmed thing is fitment.
Uh have you searched at all? The only thing you've got right here is cheap.
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
MiniXP

My Ride: 08 335i & 01 325xi
I would go with Umnitza. You definitely don't want to go with fiberglass, although i don't know anything about that specific brand. I went through two ABS plastic bumpers that cracked before I got the polypropylene. It was my fault they cracked but it is nice knowing I have a little extra flexibility now. The fitment on the Umnitza was pretty good, a little more difficult to fit then mine previous ones, but it just took some extra adjusting of the brackets.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
bemmerfiend22

My Ride: 330xi
PolyPropylene is a much stronger material. its really want you want to spend i dont no the price difference but when i was getting my new front bumper i was told by almost every body shop that polypropylene is what you would u should go with even though it might have been a 100 more or so
bemmerfiend22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89 View Post

My head's about to get exploded lol.
I know the best option is euro-spec, but I can't really afford it at this moment.
$400 shipped + painting + college tuition = out of budget dsafasdfdsajopafd

Tell me what you think. Which one should I go for?
+ painting +college tuition, you want to know what I think? If your bumper isn't broken then wtf you thinking about? If it is broken, then no problem, get the bumper you like, otherwise, if the $2-500 difference in price between this and the other makes a difference to you, then sorry, OP, but what are you going to do when you need to buy a thermostat next month...and really ought to do the whole cooling system? Or when the PS pump fails? Even if you diy this stuff, you need money to keep it going.

Sorry to sound like your Dad...doubt I am ()...but srsly, if you don't 'need' a bumper...relax, you have a beautiful car! Sorry sponsors selling bumpers...gots to call them like I read them!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
lol. While this is good advice^^^ I myself am a college student and know were you're coming from. If you have money to maintain your BMW and are just trying to stretch a couple extra dollars to get a bumper, then by all means do so. I've owned OEM and rep. mtech2 bumpers and I have to say OEM is really the way to go. BUT, if the Umnitza is good material at the right price, TRY to go for it

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
Bimmer^Hue

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via AIM to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via MSN to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via Yahoo to Bimmer^Hue Send a message via Skype™ to Bimmer^Hue
Duraflex

2002 BMW 330i Titanium Silver Metallic | Gray Dakota Leather | 5-Speed | /// Sport, Winter and Premium Package
Bimmer^Hue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
shadow330

My Ride: 2003 330ci
I had a terrible experience with Duraflex products and dont want to see anyone go down the same road. As for durability, I received two front bumpers that were cracked in shipping, and a rear bumper that was four and a half inches two wide for my car, although fiberglass needs to be worked with, that rear bumper was way to far off, and afrer the second front bumper I gave up on the whole idea of thier products. They are just your average fiberglass product, for a higher price. Go with the Poly.
shadow330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
ModBargains
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 325e & E46 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
Modbargains
Thanks man! What do you think of this fitment?

We are so picky that our main supplier is irritated with us because of how many bumper we refuse due to it not meeting our Quality Control standards. I'll be sure to send you out a good product!

Kevin@ModBargains.com
714-582-3330 ext 8009

Elliot Goodman|Elliott@ModBargains.com|(714) 582-3330 ext. 8009
We Specialize In:
BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels | BMW Intake
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates!
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Give us a call, we have plenty of bumpers in stock and at the lowest shipped price you can find for quality.

Duraflex has a great marketing campaign for the bumpers and they "seem" like they will last, but in real world driving and our customer's visiting the shop with those bumpers, I can tell you from first hand knowledge that the fiberglass based bumpers are usually junk after 3-6 months.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #17
Jblack4083

My Ride: E46 ///M3 Vert JB/CB
Send a message via AIM to Jblack4083
I just bought the Umnitza bumper. It took a while to get to my Greyhound station but that wasn't umnitzas fault that was Greyhounds fault.

The bumper fit 90% right, theres a slight imperfection on one side where it meets with the fender. Its a slight space between the bumper and the fender. Not really THAT noticeable but still...

I would highly recommend the Umnitza bumper especially for the price.
Jblack4083 is offline   Reply With Quote