E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
sackman

My Ride: 330Ci
Angel Eyes: Trigger wire to Dome lights.

I just finished installing my Umnitza angel eyes I followed this DIY: http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes_orionv2.html

I tied the 1st trigger wire to the accessories wire inside ECU box.

I want to tie the 2nd trigger wire to the dome lights so that the angel eyes come on when i unlock the doors.

Can any one locate this wire for me?

Photobucket
sackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
you have to tap the footwell light on the passenger side. thats how i did mine. you'll see a rubber gromet looking thing in your drugbin, just run the wire through there and tap the foot well light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
sackman

So simple it might actually work! ha thanks.

Im wanting to turn all of my dome lights red or orange red.

You ever seen anyone do that or know where they got the bulbs from?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
StahlBlau3

My Ride: '99 328i, '88 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippmann View Post
you have to tap the footwell light on the passenger side. thats how i did mine. you'll see a rubber gromet looking thing in your drugbin, just run the wire through there and tap the foot well light.
^ Exactly trippmann! You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly how to do it. OP pm either myself of trippmann if you have any questions. It is seriously a piece of cake though!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
out of 10 how hard are these to install, I have no experience with electrical wiring in cars. Also, would it be difficult to have them turn on in place of the parking lights, and when my headlights come on? And still have use of my turn signals?
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
sackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrace View Post
out of 10 how hard are these to install, I have no experience with electrical wiring in cars. Also, would it be difficult to have them turn on in place of the parking lights, and when my headlights come on? And still have use of my turn signals?
I have about as much experience with wiring as any average person and following the DIY link I posted was a cake walk. To do what you are talking about search parking light delete or I think mabye corner mod delete.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackman View Post
I have about as much experience with wiring as any average person and following the DIY link I posted was a cake walk. To do what you are talking about search parking light delete or I think mabye corner mod delete.
okay thank you.
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
cabl3i

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP
I was putting this off for the longest time but then finally got to it..it took me all of 15 minutes to wire the trigger wire to the footwell lights.

Very easy, like they said, in the drug bin, remove the rubber grommet on the firewall and pass the wire through in there.
Next in the passenger footwell, take out the light so that its dangling and have someone help you push the wire towards the hole
so you can reach in with your fingers and pull the wire down.
Last step is to simply tap that into the power wire for the footwell light.

I cant stop looking at my car when I lock/unlock it XD
cabl3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
sh00th00ps

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabl3i View Post
I was putting this off for the longest time but then finally got to it..it took me all of 15 minutes to wire the trigger wire to the footwell lights.

Very easy, like they said, in the drug bin, remove the rubber grommet on the firewall and pass the wire through in there.
Next in the passenger footwell, take out the light so that its dangling and have someone help you push the wire towards the hole

haha i cant agree with you more there
sh00th00ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
hendrich

My Ride: 01' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to hendrich
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabl3i View Post

but are the lights on while you driving also?
Old 01-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Here ya go:

There's a full thread somewhere here that includes this vid and some helpful hints from Umnitza.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
If you haven't hooked it up yet, you can also forgo tapping into the e-box for the main trigger. Since you're running a wire into the glove box area anyway, you can use one of the empty fuse slots that's only live with the ignition on for the main trigger.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #13
cabl3i

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrich View Post
but are the lights on while you driving also?
Of course they are...the install was already done..it was just the footwell tap that i had been putting off.
cabl3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #14
rellik

My Ride: is too slow...
I'd like to tap into my parking lights so my eyes are on with the parking lights and not all the time like DRL's . I've searched and found that you can tap into one of the wires on the back of the light switch. Have any of you tried this and if so... DETAILS!
Sport, Cold Weather and Premium Packages * Dinan TCAI * Dinan Stage II engine software * Dinan performance tranny software * UUC TSE3 * ///M3 Steering wheel * ///M3 lip spoiler * UUC Slotted Front Rotors * Powerflex FCAB's * KONI FSD's * UUC StrutBarbarian * 35% tint * OEM (ULO) clears * 5000k bulbs * NGK Iridiums * Stewart WP * Delmarco's Bluetooth retrofit * LED Angel Eyes * 3K HID Fogs * USA Spec

Last edited by rellik; 01-19-2010 at 01:59 AM.
rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
rellik

Sport, Cold Weather and Premium Packages * Dinan TCAI * Dinan Stage II engine software * Dinan performance tranny software * UUC TSE3 * ///M3 Steering wheel * ///M3 lip spoiler * UUC Slotted Front Rotors * Powerflex FCAB's * KONI FSD's * UUC StrutBarbarian * 35% tint * OEM (ULO) clears * 5000k bulbs * NGK Iridiums * Stewart WP * Delmarco's Bluetooth retrofit * LED Angel Eyes * 3K HID Fogs * USA Spec
Old 01-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
hendrich

this is how i have mine with the parking lights so i turn them on and off whenever i want. but what would happen if run another wire from the footwell? will i have a short? since i will have to positive.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #17
rellik

Quote:
this is how i have mine with the parking lights so i turn them on and off whenever i want. but what would happen if run another wire from the footwell? will i have a short? since i will have to positive.
so yours (angel eyes) turn on and off with the parking lights? which wire did you tap into if it wasn't the 12V accessory in the engine compartment?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #18
hendrich

i ran two wires directly from the parking lights, idk if this is the right procedure but they also blink with the parking lights.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
dryan81

My Ride: .
Quote:
i ran two wires directly from the parking lights, idk if this is the right procedure but they also blink with the parking lights.

^ one of the reasons that running the AE's to the parking lights is not recommended.....

who wants blinking AE's ?!
dryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
rellik

Quote:
ahh. roger that. far as i can tell this (below) is the right way to do it for parking light on/off, but I haven't done it yet. Will try this weekend. I will have one wire that runs from the foot well light for the remote on/off and one from the LCM (light control module) I'm hoping this provides me the parking lights on/off as well as the remote on/off. The following is taken from another post. attachments too

Taken from this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=206226

Ok... This is for those that have been look for the answer...

I won't be telling people how to do the halo installation.

Take the kick panel off on the driver side using a phillips and a flat head screw driver. Crawl underneath and look for the harness leading to the LCM (Light Control Module). Cut open the meshed sheathing and look for the light purple wire with the dark purple stripes. This wire leads to the rear parking light on the driver side. I tested this wire with a multi-meter and this is it!

So here it is!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parking_wire.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	345386   Click image for larger version

Name:	harness.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	345387  

Last edited by rellik; 01-19-2010 at 11:07 PM.