E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 02:01 AM   #1
Cloudbase

My Ride: M Coupe, 325xiT
My New Sport Wagon, I meant Touring! (Road Trip and Mod Content)

After lurking for a few years I thought I'd formally introduce myself.

After narrowing our choice to a 325xiT or an AWD Honda Element, my Fiancée and I are the proud owners of a new (to us at least) Sport Wagon - an 04' 325xiT, 5 Speed Manual, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Titanium Silver on Grey Interior with 70K on the ODO.

After looking for most of November I found it from a guy in Kansas. He was a pleasure to buy a car from and bent over backwards to help me out. I picked it up in late December and got equated with it on the drive back to CO. It was a cold, gloomy day, but way more comfortable than when I drove the M Coupe back from the East Coast and I still made pretty good time.

The Drive From Kansas to Colorado

On New Years Day I took it on its first road trip from Boulder to Ouray, CO for an Ice Climbing and Snowboarding Trip with our Mountain Biking Team. I made it to Grand Junction in my fastest time yet 3:30 without speeding egregiously and like the drive from Kansas it was a pleasure. The M Coupe is minimallistic for a BMW and my daily is a '97 Tacoma. I couldn't believe what I've been missing all these years.

Glenwood Canyon

Ouray Ice and Mountains

I couldn't climb or snowboard due to a recent knee surgery so I hung out and drove around with another friend who was injured. We had a blast rallying over Red Mountain Pass on the "million dollar highway", which is actually the two lane CO 550.

On the Way to Red Mountain Pass

Even with crap tires the xi did great in snow. With the stability control off I could break and control the back end with ease. On dry roads I felt like the xi reduced some of the oversteer I've felt in RWD E46's. On the way home we were treated to sunny skies in the San Juan's and fresh snow going over Monarch Pass. Once again, even loaded up with 4 people and a hatch full of gear the drive was a pleasure.

Full Hatch

Wave Clouds Over the San Juan's

Fresh Snow on Monarch Pass

After we got home I installed new pads and rotors, flushed the brake fluid with Super Blue Racing Fluid, changed the oil and filter, and installed a DICE ipod adapter. I plan on finishing inspection II with belts, coolant inspection and flush, air and cabin filters, and axel boot inspections, once it gets a little warmer. I routed the DICE cord to the rear ashtray. It's closer than in the glove box and the ashtray box has a light and a little door that covers it when not in use. I build a foam "dock" to hold the thick cases we both have over our iPhones. I plan on replacing my duct tape-covered foam with plastic and a bulb cover that look more professional.

New Rotors and Pads

New Brake Fluid

DICE Rear Ashtray Mount

Then I installed a Thule Crossroads Rack and 2 Red Rocky Mount Trays off my M Coupe Rack. I plan to finish the rack with a hang glider carrier (basically a removable aluminum ladder that bolts to the crossbars) and custom airfoil crossbar covers that I've been working on. I also scored a set of winter wheels, 17" BMW style ??? (could use some help with that) with Blizzak LM's mounted.

Rocky Mount Rack and Winter Wheels Added

The other mods I have still in the boxes are an M3 CSL bumper, Orion Angel Eyes, Clear Corners and Markers, and a set of 18" BBS CH Reps, but those will have to wait until spring...

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
e46Scrub

My Ride: 2001 330i
Sooo cool, I'm a huge fan of tourings as my dad has had a wagon for pretty much ever. I think it will look sick with the M3 bumper, clears and wheels. I love Colorado too. I'm actually going on a ski trip tomorrow and won't be able to drive because my sedan doesn't have the loadthrough system or a roof rack . My friend's truck will have to work I guess! You take great pictures too!
e46Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
xE U R Ox

My Ride: Coming Soon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46Scrub View Post
You take great pictures too!

+1. Must admit, those shots are Amazing... & nice ride. (both M* & Wagon)
Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Mclovin1458

My Ride: 2005 325ci, zsp/zpp
Nice HDR pictures

e36 m3 wheels are nice and all but dont flow well with e46 touring
Old 01-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
BMW#1_323i

My Ride: Loves curves!
Nice touring...good pics...Luv the M-Coupe..more pics of M-coupe please!
BMW#1_323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Rod_Madrid

My Ride: E46 325it
beautiful touring!!!
Rod_Madrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Cloudbase

I've been looking for a rack that is a perfect fit for my Touring. Is the Thule Crossroads Rack a perfect fit? I have the OE BMW cross bars, but can't find any bike racks that will mount to it

I like your winter wheels more than the summer; I had a set on my E36 M3. I recommend that you do alot of research before purchasing wheels; larger, heavier wheels are going to slow down your acceleration.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
Cloudbase

I've been looking for a rack that is a perfect fit for my Touring. Is the Thule Crossroads Rack a perfect fit? I have the OE BMW cross bars, but can't find any bike racks that will mount to it

I like your winter wheels more than the summer; I had a set on my E36 M3. I recommend that you do alot of research before purchasing wheels; larger, heavier wheels are going to slow down your acceleration.
Crossroad fits well.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
millerb

My Ride: 99 323i
Pics look great. Love the tourings
millerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
///Mbimmer

My Ride: `02 325i
nice pics

///Mbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
Cloudbase

Thanks everyone. I'm stoked to finally have something to share on E46 Fanatics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW#1_323i View Post
Nice touring...good pics...Luv the M-Coup...more pics of M-coupe please!
Always happy to show pics of the M Coupe...

Resprayed Wheels, Added Splitters

I've got some light mods in the works for the M too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
Cloudbase

I've always used Thule stuff and I think the crossroads fits perfectly. I didn't get the aero bar one, just the plain old square bars. I've got some airfoil covers I'm going to adapt from old hang glider control bars. I would highly recommend the Thule Crossroads rack. As far as trays, Rocky Mounts is the best in my opinion. Their newest model is called the pitchfork and it has a disc brake adapter built in. It's much lower profile and stronger than anything else I've seen and the fit and finish is far superior to both Thule and Yakama. Plus you can get custom colors. That's what replaced the trays on the M Coupe rack.

The 18" BBS CH reps I got are pretty heavy, but I'm going to try them before I sell my stock wheels, but won't be surprised if the acceleration and ride take a hit. The ride is noticeably harsh with the contors compared to the stock 16"s.

Arsevador Red Touring = Sex. That was my first choice, but I couldn't find one that fit my criteria. Love the rocket box!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Very nice touring.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
Sick touring!!! Awesome that its manual....those are very rare. You're pics are beautiful as well...

I actually like the E36 M wheels...you never see them on Tourings and they look awesome for Winter Wheels.

Check out the Modded Tourings Thread- you're gonna be on there in no time!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=536138

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Current: Eurospec imported 2003 330XI 6MT
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudbase View Post
Arsevador Red Touring = Sex. That was my first choice, but I couldn't find one that fit my criteria. Love the rocket box!
Thanks! Though I would say that a Red M coupe is pure girl on girl sex, my car is just plain old missionary compared.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
rellik

My Ride: is too slow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xe u r ox View Post
+1. Must admit, those shots are amazing... & nice ride. (both m* & wagon)
+1
Sport, Cold Weather and Premium Packages * Dinan TCAI * Dinan Stage II engine software * Dinan performance tranny software * UUC TSE3 * ///M3 Steering wheel * ///M3 lip spoiler * UUC Slotted Front Rotors * Powerflex FCAB's * KONI FSD's * UUC StrutBarbarian * 35% tint * OEM (ULO) clears * 5000k bulbs * NGK Iridiums * Stewart WP * Delmarco's Bluetooth retrofit * LED Angel Eyes * 3K HID Fogs * USA Spec
rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
thatsonlyme

My Ride: 2001 330Ci Sport pkg
your cars are sick! I love your photos! What camera do you use?
thatsonlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
AWDBMW

My Ride: 04 330CI
Welcome to the XIT club. Either you love um or hate um. Of course, I'm in the former camp.

Whatever you do, don't take off the roof rails or lower it for obvious reasons in Colorado winters. Mine is a 2002 with the sports package and and the convenience of an auto for the other half when she drives it. Other than tinting all around, clear bra, and some new Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires it is pretty much stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0270CC.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	345295  
AWDBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
Cloudbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgTouring View Post
Sick touring!!! Awesome that its manual....those are very rare. You're pics are beautiful as well...

I actually like the E36 M wheels...you never see them on Tourings and they look awesome for Winter Wheels.

Check out the Modded Tourings Thread- you're gonna be on there in no time!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=536138
Awesome thread. I used that one as a reference when I was looking. I'll post some pics once I get the rest of the Mod's done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader View Post
Thanks! Though I would say that a Red M coupe is pure girl on girl sex, my car is just plain old missionary compared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsonlyme View Post
your cars are sick! I love your photos! What camera do you use?
I use an old Cannon 20D with a 17-85mm F4.5-5.6 or a 70-200mm F4.5-5.6 Pro Glass lens with minor Levels and Saturation adjustments in Photoshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBMW View Post
Welcome to the XIT club. Either you love um or hate um. Of course, I'm in the former camp.

Whatever you do, don't take off the roof rails or lower it for obvious reasons in Colorado winters. Mine is a 2002 with the sports package and and the convenience of an auto for the other half when she drives it. Other than tinting all around, clear bra, and some new Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires it is pretty much stock.
Great to see another Coloradan here! I'm going to take it to the next Euro GTG. They usually post dates for them on the Great Lakes, Rocky Mountain Regional Bimmerforums Forums.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #19
theOSUbob

My Ride: LeMans Blue E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to theOSUbob
What style wheels are those in the last few pics of first post?

Last edited by theOSUbob; 01-18-2010 at 09:51 PM.
theOSUbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #20
dwebb99

My Ride: 330ci
Very sweet wagon indeed. Love the pics of Colorado, will be in Breckenridge in Feb! yeeha!
dwebb99 is offline   Reply With Quote