E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
usaf_wx

My Ride: 2000 323i
High Revs, car barely moves at cold start.

I know that theres several tranny threads going around right now, I also tried search. Just started to notice recently when I start the car and put it in drive(engine still cold, needle in blue) when I step on the gas the RPM's jump to 2-3 but the car barely moves, like its struggling to shift or go. No jumps when it does shift. Once the engine warms up(past blue) it shifts fine. Really concerned since I have the ZF tranny. Is this the tranny? Low fluid? Throttle? MAF? Spark plugs. God I hope its not the tranny. My fuel gauge has been doing the notorious fluxuating, maybe fuel pump or filter? No codes. Help please. Thanks guys.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
vol96

My Ride: 2000 328i
My GM tranny did the same thing. Did a trans fluid/filter change and all is well (tho I probably have a trans leak somwhere in cooler plumbing). http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=734675
vol96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
usaf_wx

car is at 70,000 miles, kinda nervous about doing a transmission fluid change at this point. How can I check if Im leaking or low on fluid?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
nyst8fmind

My Ride: 2007 525XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_wx View Post
car is at 70,000 miles, kinda nervous about doing a transmission fluid change at this point. How can I check if Im leaking or low on fluid?
the same thing with my car, one morning it was 19 degrees or something, my car was cold, hit the gas car barely moved, anybody help!!!
nyst8fmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
usaf_wx

yes please help, seriously worried bout transmission. hopeing to god thats not it.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyst8fmind View Post
the same thing with my car, one morning it was 19 degrees or something, my car was cold, hit the gas car barely moved, anybody help!!!
Quote:
yes please help, seriously worried bout transmission. hopeing to god thats not it.
If your vehichle exhibits this kind of behavior ONLY when cold and has been parked for a while IE overnight then you have a software issue. The dealer can update the tranny software to resolve this specific issue.

If it is "slipping" all the time then you have a more serious issue.

Hope this helps
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
usaf_wx

Thanks, only did it twice, when the engine was cold, today it didnt even do it when the engine was cold. so i likely have a software issue? thought mine was cable driven. lets hope its a software issue. thanks for the input.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Thanks, only did it twice, when the engine was cold, today it didnt even do it when the engine was cold. so i likely have a software issue? thought mine was cable driven. lets hope its a software issue. thanks for the input.
WHat I dont know for sure if is this issue affected all transmissions or only certian ones. I do know that at least some of the GM transmission have this issue. You may need to research a little more.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
usaf_wx

thanks, i have the dreaded step, and i remeber hearing it was cable driven instead of software
Old 01-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
e46bonestock

My Ride: 325
when the tranny is cold, mine's a gm, I find that switching to manumatic mode, 1, and it doesn't have a problem engaging. Once rolling and in 3rd gear, I find the car drives more confortable in 3rd when under 40 kph.

Once warm, it runs fine in D.
e46bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
usaf_wx

Im just glad Im not the only one having this issue and thats its not quite yet time to replace the tranny(knock on wood). Im accounting alot of the loss of power to she probablly needs new sparks, vcg, fuel filter and belts, doing this next week so hopefully she'll be doing alittle better. Thanks guys.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
tanzi

My Ride: 02' 325i
I have had the same problem.when my 02' 325i sits for a while and its real cold out my car just revs to 2-3k and only moves slowly. But once i go 1/4 mile its back to normal.

software? It did this the past 2 winters
Old 01-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
usaf_wx

Mine will do it if it sits for a day or a period and if the engine is cold(cold here is 40's). it sounds like everyone is pointing toward a software issue, and not the tranny. lets hope. will look into this when my baby is back from her new clearcoat and paint fix.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #14
tanzi

My Ride: 02' 325i
i might do a fluid/ filter change first and then software if it continues.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
crazyafghanguy

My Ride: E46 M3
this is exactly whats happening to my e36! when drive, my RPM shoots up and i barely go anywhere. i recently replaced my tranny because my other one broke im still not sure whats wrong with my car, my CEL is on because of a ICV but i dont think thats the problem...help!!

01 M3
Black/Black 6 Speed
Style 95
Amber All Around
Ac Schnitzer Muffler
ZCP Brake Upgrade
crazyafghanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
Tex99

My Ride: 99 323i
Is your check engine light on? My car goes into limp home mode, rpms are high, can barely hit 40 mph. It was due to a vacuum leak. I turn it off and on again, and it drives fine. It only happens during a cold start.
Tex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #17
usaf_wx

No check engine light, no sudden jerks, and today no problems with cold start. Not sure what is going on. Just really hoping its not the transmission. I really am uncomfortable with changing the fluid at 78000 miles. So Im not sure where to go from here. Just would like to know that maybe its the fuel filter, spark plugs or o2 sensors issue and not the transmission. Reverse works fine and everything too. Not sure.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #18
kosnosferatu

My Ride: 2000 323ci
is it possible that the fluid is just more viscous because it is cold and has been sitting out? this only tends to happen to me when it's below freezing out during the night and I try to get going in the morning
Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
monkeyhead

My Ride: 2003 330i
Usaf-wx, sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am having the exact same problem. The funny thing is, it started AFTER I changed the transmission fluid at 180K. In the morning it revs high, but after it starts to heat up it goes back to normal. Did you guys ever figure out what is the problem?

see one, do one, teach one
monkeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #20
Tex323GripIsKey

My Ride: 2000 323i Green
something sticking somewhere, if I recall. Or maybe thats the reverse in these cars... you guys make me glad I didn't get an auto... Hope you get it figured out and with out high cost!
Tex323GripIsKey is offline   Reply With Quote