E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #21
cuz.iknim

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Send a message via AIM to cuz.iknim Send a message via MSN to cuz.iknim
Bump!

cuz.iknim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #22
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Sounds like a sticky caliiper. Next time it happens, pull over and check your front wheels. Put your hand near, but do not touch each front wheel. The wheel with the sticky brake caliper will be really hot. You may also see excessive brake dust on the wheel with the sticky caliper.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #23
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
If the CV boots havent leaked thier grease (They can without being torn) I'll still lay money on the transmission fluid. His issue is almost exactly like the one I had only it seems more pronounced. The fluid/filter change solved it immediately.

Out of all of the times I have ssen this EXACT issue reported it was either the CV joints (most Common) or the transmission fluid that ended up solving it.

OP keep us posted.

I have about 15k on this fluid. Been very happy with it. it meets the BMW spec for our GM trannys
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #24
jc179

My Ride: 2004-325xi,87-5000TQ
hmm

I had a very similar issue where my XI would vibrate, but only on deceleration and definately only after warmed up, and going over about 80 ish. Mine is a manual, and it would vibrate so badly coasting in 5th the shifter would jiggle. I could place my hand on the shifter and the vibrations were strong enough you could almost see it moving. I had a very similar issue as you - no one would believe me because the car had to warm up before the problem would rear its face. My mechanic could not find a problem at first, and thought perhaps the flex disc, however as time went on, I just drove it. Eventually the outter CV joint boot ripped, and he replaced the entire front drivers side axel, cv and all. Since then that problem has not come back. I'm not saying this is infact your problem, but I'd definately check those two front shafts and 4 joints (inside and outside). If their is any slop in side to side movement (not back and forth looking down the shaft) in any place it might be throwing the whole assembly out of balance, causing the shaking.

Hope that helps

Jonathan
jc179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #25
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
OP- what's the latest?

Did you check your passenger side inner CV boot to see if it needs grease?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #26
cuervoespiritu

My Ride: 04 330xi
man that sucks man i know your pain, but sounds like alot of people are recomending similar things and might be dead on. Had similar issue. my 330xi would vibrate like nobodies buisness between 25 and 65 mph when acceling would then smooth out and would come back about an hour or two later. if it didnt do that it would vibrate constantly. solution for me was

went to dealer to get both front axels change due to torn boots and screwed up cv joints. that helped about 45%
angry from spending all that money and still not having it 100% my car starts making horrid noise turning into driveway.

said screw the dealer and went to my local indy guy.
my 100% fix from my indy guy was a new passenger side lower control arm, new bushings and alignment now i get no vibration during accel, decel, or after an extened drive.

asked the indy guy whos name is pat, how bad the control arm was and he replied that it was cracked, bushings failed and that the control arm looked like it had been cracked for a while so he wondered how the dealer didnt catch it when they replaced the axels

sorry for rant but conclusion
check the following
control arms
bushings
cv boots
axels (boots dont have to be torn to be bad)
alignment
cuervoespiritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #27
cuz.iknim

IT's going into dealer today.. in five hours now...
Hope everything gets better... I will let you guys know!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #28
Kubica

Dang. I hope you are still under cpo, because a new axle at the dealer is a grand, minimum.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #29
cuz.iknim

Boooo!!

This bites! But things are done....

I am not sure if it will fix everything but so far it costed me about $850....

And things that are done... are

CV boot repair on Driver's Side..
CV Boot repair on Passenger's Side... (This side didn't have torn.. but ran out of grease...)
Differential Fluid
Transfer Case Fluid
and Fuel Filter..

Bites Bites.. but I hope this fixed everything....

Oh.........and I also am missing

these two parts... I gotta shop for those two..

I will let you guys know after driver my car a little..

Good Day!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #30
cuervoespiritu

My Ride: 04 330xi
hell 850 for all that, you have to be kidding. hell when i went into the stealer ship here that is what they wanted just to do the cv boot replacement on one side if the axel was still good.
cuervoespiritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #31
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I know what it is.

It's your passenger side inner cv boot asking for grease.

^^^That guy knows what he's talking about.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #32
cuz.iknim

So.....Here is the total.. 870...

They replace two CV Boots on Driver Side, inner Boot on Passenger Side... -> these are about 600.. .Parts and Labor.. I don't think it's over priced.. I don't know how much you guys pay for torn boot.. but I normally pay around 200 for one.. so considering it being three.. it might be reasonable..

I also had flushed Transfer Case Fluid and Differential Fluid... ->These were about 150... -> BITES!
Lastly changed Fuel Filter... -> that was about 100 as well...

I just drove about 60 miles.. avg speed of 92 miles/hr.
And have not felt any vibration..!!! YESYESYES!!

I will be driving to Michigan from PA this weekend.. so I will see if it is completely gone by then..

But so far,, It feels good...I had this little annoying vibration when I changed my driver side axle to aftermarket,,, but now that's gone as well!

Later this week or next week, I will be doing

Spark Plugs, Air Filter Micro Filter and Valve cover gasket from indy shop..
I hope they don't cost that much... (PARTS are ordered from Tischer.. They were about 200 including Shipping...)

Dealer recommended not to flush the transmission fluid.. They told me that they would,, but they won't be responsible for the damage that it might bring after changing Tranny Fluid.. So I figured not to change it since they are so sure that it is for life time.
I know many of you guys recommend to change it.. but yeah.. I am not sure if I should or not... Any suggestion? They were talking about detergent based fluid being whatever,,, I had no idea what they were talking about....

Now I only have Brake Fluid and Power Steering Fluid and Coolant flush waiting....
I have flushed Brake Fluid back in 2009.. so I might not change it this time.. but yeah. these three are not in big hurry.. so I will see what I can do at this point..

Well at least it's running great....

Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #33
cuz.iknim

Quote:

Wow now I think about it........................

JESUS HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT IT WAS ON PASSENGER SIDE AND INNER????

Old 01-27-2010, 06:18 AM   #34
cuz.iknim

Valve Cover Gasket replacement...

Is it complicated? Some people told me that I should take it to dealer rather than indy shop...

Old 02-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #35
carrera88

My Ride: 325 xit sport
I replaced almost everything on my '01 xit - and had a similar vibration after running for a while. After rebalancing wheels/tires, getting different wheels/tires, etc, etc I found the cheap rotors I installed to be the culprit. they were out of balance with no obvious machining marks indicating they'd been balanced when produced. I purchased high quality rotors and they had machining flats indicating they were balanced. no more shaking issues. what kind of rotors do you have on your car?
carrera88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #36
cuz.iknim

OEM rotors and OEM pads...

it seems like it's okay now... but didn't drive for long yet.. I will update you guys whenever I get a chance.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #37
Nachos23

My Ride: 2004 330Xi
Send a message via MSN to Nachos23
valve cover replacement not difficult.... just need to make sure to re-connect evrything you disconnect.... The actual job is easy...... To add to the vibration point, I've been dealing with it to and found an intact yet completely dry Pass Inner CV boot. Driver Inner boot leaked quite badly so it was repacked as well.. Vibration 90% gone. Going to be replacing both front shafts cause there is definitely play in both axles probably from damage due to them being dry and exposed for some time......I've also been told to inspect my brake for heat when the vibrations ocur, but so far, no notcibale heat (quite cool to touch).....
Nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #38
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Arrow

Quote:
^^^ Dead On^^^ We run into that all the time at work. The inner boot doesn't tear but grease seeps out of the inner clamp on the inner boot. Eventually the joint wears out and after extended trips it warms up and starts to seize causing the vibration. We always recommend replacement axles at that point, not a boot kit.
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:30 AM   #39
Studdly_Studright

My Ride: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouf View Post
^^^ Dead On^^^ We run into that all the time at work. The inner boot doesn't tear but grease seeps out of the inner clamp on the inner boot. Eventually the joint wears out and after extended trips it warms up and starts to seize causing the vibration. We always recommend replacement axles at that point, not a boot kit.
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I'm having a similar issue and have already replaced axels and boots once a year or so ago. I hope it's just a boot or something, because I honestly would sell the car before replacing the axels again. Maybe one of my wheels is bent, but I'm guessing it's another boot issue since it doesn't do it at lower speeds.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #40
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
glad you got it sorted out!

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote