E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
ec133

My Ride: 33Ci Sport
Question 330ci Moves to cold, misfires during starting, runs lean

So I just moved a 2001 330ci sport from CA to MA, for it's first cold winter ever. Now, it is suddenly having lots of misfiring codes and running lean. What could the cause be? Spark plugs / cables / coils? Any tests I could run? hhhmmm...

OBD Codes:
p0300 misfire
p0301 mifire, cylinder 1
P1344 Misfire During Start Cylinder 2
P1346 Misfire During Start Cylinder 3
P1348 Misfire During Start Cylinder 4
P1350 Misfire During Start Cylinder 5
P1352 Misfire During Start Cylinder 6
P0171 Lean Bank 1
P0174 Lean Bank 2

It runs great at speed, but feels a little rough at idle... I love this car! I don't like failing inspection right after getting registered... DOH!

Any tips? -Ethan

Last edited by ec133; 01-24-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: lil typo
ec133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
brian328i

My Ride: '00 328i M/T
Check the air intake boots, sometimes they rip and the unmeasured air that gets in past the MAF causes problems. Check the part that branches off to the ICV those creases usually rip.

Other then that, I would start with checking the ignition coils, the spark plug leds...

Seems really weird that your missing on all cylinders.
brian328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
Air intake boot cracks never caused me any misfires. Only a whistle @ 2k rpm. Replaced it, no noticeable difference.
Sometimes when it's cold my car will start then run rough, no codes are thrown. If I restart it's healthy again..

Welcome
Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
ec133

Hmmm... I couldn't find any problems with the air intake boot, and MAF sensor is new and fine. Well, the boot was pretty grimey. I'm thinking of trying out the Seafoam spray. Maybe it will clear things out enough with the downstream valves and sensors (or make them worse):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ntake+boot+diy

My 2.5yo son is unhelpful with troubleshooting...
Any mo tips?

Great picture here from xi ter! My sparks plugs and coils also seem fine...
Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
CT330xi

My Ride: '04 330xi 6-spd
this is a shot in the dark, but have you gotten some mass gas? cali gas isnt blended for our weather...seeing as though you havent done anything to provoke it. Maybe get a fuel treatment like stabil or octane booster?
CT330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Craig330Ci
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2006 330Ci vert
Could be a plugged fuel filter. Both sides are running lean. Has the filter ever been replaced? I see you have a 2001. BMW says lifetime, I say bull ****. Filters do get plugged up and do not last a lifetime. Just a thought. Good luck.
Craig330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
rshanley

My Ride: 2001 330i
This may be another one of my crackpot theories, but it seems a number of people hit the P134x code in the winter, particularly after the car sits. We have 10% ethanol fuel here in VA. With the change in temperature and the tank sitting still, it would not surprise me if some of that ethanol separates out. Ethanol has a higher specific gravity than gasoline, so it would sink to the bottom of the tank and be the first thing to burn on a cold start. I'm wondering if this is not a factor for some of the P134x codes people are getting. The ethanol would certainly not combust with the same characteristics as gasoline.

From my experience, my car threw a P1346 a few weeks back. My car runs rough longer as some function of how long it sits in my garage. If I drive it daily, or as the tank empties, the problem is less likely to happen. The irony is, I try to keep the tank full to reduce the amount of moisture that works its way into the tank over the winter. Perhaps that's not the best thing to do when your gas contains 10% ethanol.

It's just a theory... I'd say you may want to burn through this tank of gas and see if it continues, but the P030x codes would worry me. You don't want to damage your cats spilling too much unburnt fuel through them. Are you still getting misfires after driving the car around for a few minutes?
rshanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
ec133

So I just spoke with an 'expert' 15 years BMW experience mechanic guy, and when I mentioned that the car is also burning a bit of oil, when he suddenly had an Aha! He thinks this is the crank case vent valve, where moisture gets into the crank case, it can destroy a bellows... causing the lean burn and misfires. Supposedly gunk can buildup around the dip stick base, and that it as a bimmer-specific problem at the dealer shops. Does sound sound right? It is hard to write about, because I don't really understand it yet...

I still haven't tried the Seafoam, but think it is a good idea, if this is being caused by gunk built up near the intake or injectors... I also like the idea of doing all three Seafoam products at the same time, using the process on their web site...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
ec133

So... I heard about a 330i with nearly identical error read out, where it was the PCV valve, and not the crank case vent valve... hmm...
Old 01-28-2010, 04:05 AM   #10
Schnake

My Ride: 325ci
Good luck with finding your problem and certainly keep us informed....

Now please introduce us to the lovely lady sitting in the bimmer hehe!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec133 View Post
So... I heard about a 330i with nearly identical error read out, where it was the PCV valve, and not the crank case vent valve... hmm...
Schnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:11 AM   #11
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec133 View Post
correct me if i'm wrong... but aren't the CCV and PCV valve the same?

edit: just looked it up... it is listed as a PCV valve on tischer's site. so yes they are the same thing.

CCV valve- Crank Case Ventilation valve
PCV valve- Postive Crankcase Ventilation valve
oh and... to that picture

Last edited by azzy989; 01-28-2010 at 04:54 AM.
azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
JFarley187

My Ride: 2000 323i
Ccv

I had basically the same issue, with the same codes, and after replacing the MAF, I discovered that I had a small vcuum leak in the CCV, which was causing all of the problems. Replaced the CCV and spark plugs and now everything runs great. Also I didn't have the crud under my oil cap or on my dipstick like everyone says to look for...heck I didn't even notice any oil consumption. I did have a lifter tick, which since fixing the CCV has quieted down to a whisper. I'd have a shop run a smoke or vacuum test...my bet CCV leak.
JFarley187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #13
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Methinks its a computer/fuel problem. Computer is "used" to cali but its in mass now... so it has to aclimate?

You sure the movers didnt have a bit of "fun" with the car?

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
rshanley

My Ride: 2001 330i
What was the final verdict? I am sticking to my crackpot theory for my car (ethanol separating out due to sitting for long periods of time). Now that I am driving it regularly, I no longer get the code.
rshanley is offline   Reply With Quote