E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Slawless

My Ride: 2003 m3
OBD reader will not connect

I bought an OBDII reader from Ebay. It connects to my 2008 M3 with out a problem, but will not connect to my 2002 E46 M3. I tried 4 different software programs. Various programs start to connect. I even got the battery voltage on one program but it could not communicate with the ECU.

I did have the ECU flashed with Powerchip Software several years ago. That shouldn't matter.

The scanner looks like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OBD-2-OBDII-EOBD...item414c72ac30

Any Thoughts

Thanks, Steve
Slawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
got the right drivers? but i guess if it connects to the e92 then you should be good. thats kinda wierd. i have a 64bit operating system, i had to get a new driver to connect to my car.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
Slawless

I have been searching. Just found this:

The ScanTool will now connect to the vehicle. If you do not see the connection
screen, press F2 or select Vehicle | Connect. (Exceptions will be the E46 M3 and
E39 M5 which are non-OBD-II compliant. For these select Vehicle | Communication
Configuration. Change the Vehicle Interface Type to ISO9141-2 and the Initialization
Type to Non-OBDII Only.)
Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Slawless

I went back to the car today. I used the info in the last post. I used the scantool.net. It was the only one that would allow me to specify the ISO9141. The computer connected first time. Apparently this has to do with a recall a few years ago. The recall at that time indicated you might have a problem passing emissions test. The recall helps the OBDII incompatability. Others have had this same problem. The problem with the scantool.net is it is a very basic demo that will tell you the codes but not clear the codes. I may breakdown and pay the $69.

I tried other software after scantool.net but they would not connect. I tried Scantool.net again and it would not connect. I then shut off the ignition for a few seconds, turne it back on, and it connected. The other suggestion was to reset the ECU. to do this you need to disconnect the battery, and then turn on the emergency flashers, to completely drain the system. let it sit for a few minutes, then reconnect.

Just for a laugh, One of the posts I read said I should check the fuse to the OBD. I pulled several. When I was done for the day, I noticed the brake lights were on. Went to start the car.... nothing. Of course the first though is I fried the computer. Aftre a few moments of sheer terror, I retraced my steps. Found I had taken fuse #9 and put it in the #8 slot (normally empty). Once replaced everything worked. Its just those gut wrenching moments that make your day.