E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #21
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
I have the touring cup kit and love it. To me it's the best of both worlds (handling and ride). If you go that route definitely upgrade you rear shock mounts with Rogue engineering ones or something of the like. Stock mounts can't handle the firmer suspension and they will break (found out firsthand).

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #22
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
Why's it called a cup kit? Why not just call it what it is: springs and shocks? I just don't get the etymology.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
Pharaoh2716

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CiC
do you guys think that if I bought the cup kit, I would need to buy sway bars? like would they make a difference or would the cup kit make a big enough difference on its own?

Pharaoh2716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #24
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
You don't need them but I recommend sways. I would install the cup kit first and see how the car feels. Sway will further reduce body roll and improve initial turn in.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #25
Pharaoh2716

is it absolutely necessary to replace the stock rear shock mounts? And WTF I just called somebody to ask how much it would be to install the cup kit and he said 650!!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #26
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Where in CA do you live
Old 01-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #27
Pharaoh2716

just outside of san francisco, in walnut creek.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #28
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
If you're able to bring the car down to South San Jose and leave it with me for 1/2 a day, I would do it for you for pretty cheap.

But try calling Edge Motorworks in Pleasanton if you haven't tried them yet. It's a BMW shop.

Also Performance Technic in Dublin is a BMW shop. Those guys used to work at Egde and then opened up their own shop.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #29
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Why's it called a cup kit? Why not just call it what it is: springs and shocks? I just don't get the etymology.
Because they are "matched" springs and shocks, so they had to give it some kind of product name to stand out. Bottom line: marketing.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #30
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Same reason they call it a suit instead of pants, shirt, shoes, socks, tie and a jacket.
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #31
hserieshonduh

My Ride: 328ci three pedals!!
on an average... how much do you guys think the "cup kit" will drop a car.. and like the op asked are upgraded shock mounts a must? or just a very good option???
hserieshonduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #32
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
It depends on which spring you choose: Touring/Sport about 1.2 drop from non sport, Race about 2" drop from non sport.
Do you people ever read description of what you buy?

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #33
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserieshonduh View Post
on an average... how much do you guys think the "cup kit" will drop a car.. and like the op asked are upgraded shock mounts a must? or just a very good option???
1.1" font
.95" rear

Off the top of my head for a coupe, if you don't have sport suspension it basically doubles.
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #34
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Yes it's necessary to upgrade the shock mounts. I even bought OEM M3 ones at first and one of them broke within a couple weeks. My shock was in my trunk. Do it right the first time. I can't stress this enough. I got Rogue engineering ones and they are $99 for a pair. Unfortunately it's a must.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow

Last edited by mattcarle21; 01-25-2010 at 10:37 PM.
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330ci, bmw, h&r, problem, suspension