E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
tsegreto

My Ride: E46 M3
TTFS SMG Software Cause More Wear?

Hey all,

A lot of people say really great things about TTFS's SMG Software (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/ttfs-smg-software/) - I am one of the rare ones who really likes SMG and I just paid $3200 to get my SMG pump replaced. My M3 has 88k on it with the original clutch.

Is TTFS's SMG Software harsher on the clutch, transmission, SMG pump, etc.? I know the CSL sofware is harsher on the clutch, but I don't know by how much.

Thanks.
tsegreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
jtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsegreto View Post
Hey all,

A lot of people say really great things about TTFS's SMG Software (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/ttfs-smg-software/) - I am one of the rare ones who really likes SMG and I just paid $3200 to get my SMG pump replaced. My M3 has 88k on it with the original clutch.

Is TTFS's SMG Software harsher on the clutch, transmission, SMG pump, etc.? I know the CSL sofware is harsher on the clutch, but I don't know by how much.

Thanks.

I am also interested in this software, and am dreading having to replace part of the smg unit. I emailed TTFS and asked and they got back to me and said that this software causes no more and no less wear on the smg pump and clutch ect. But id like to know from someone's experience, not from a company.
jtmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
tsegreto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmiller View Post
I am also interested in this software, and am dreading having to replace part of the smg unit. I emailed TTFS and asked and they got back to me and said that this software causes no more and no less wear on the smg pump and clutch ect. But id like to know from someone's experience, not from a company.
Well I know the CSL software put a little more stress on the clutch, so I am assuming it does. But to what degree, I don't know.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
jtmiller

Quote:
Well I know the CSL software put a little more stress on the clutch, so I am assuming it does. But to what degree, I don't know.

I would also guess more wear to clutch, however Im more concerned about wear to smg pump.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
tsegreto

Quote:
I would also guess more wear to clutch, however Im more concerned about wear to smg pump.
I think that's doubtful. The SMG pump is meant to hold like 80 bar of pressure and work within certain parameters, I don't think this software even is able to modify those parameters (I think they are spectate modules). But I would still want to hear it from TTFS. I'm not concerned about the $189, I am concerned with the possible ramifications.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
jtmiller

Quote:
I think that's doubtful. The SMG pump is meant to hold like 80 bar of pressure and work within certain parameters, I don't think this software even is able to modify those parameters (I think they are spectate modules). But I would still want to hear it from TTFS. I'm not concerned about the $189, I am concerned with the possible ramifications.

Now that you mention, yes I believe the parameters arent changed, and they told me no additional wear to pump. I agree, the tune price itself is in no way holding me back, but I am afraid of what it could potentially cause. I hear its wonderful, but I also think my car is in need of a clutch soon, and I dont want that to come sooner than it should!
Old 07-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
mrich777

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3 Vert
I've had it for 2 years and about 12k miles and no issues. Knock wood. It greatly enhances the drivability. No more jerky starts.
mrich777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
tsegreto

One odd thing, I emailed TTFS about this and this is the response they gave me:

"Thank you for your interest. I have not yet had a customer feel that the SMG tune is impacting their transmission components. Our SMG tune does not impact your tranny anymore than our engine tune does the engine components. However we do not encourage anyone to buy either one if their engine or their transmission is having problems or showing any type of codes. I am sure you can understand and appreciate why. I think you will enjoy the changes and it is certainly for the money. "

Well first of all I don't really care what the other customers feel, I do care about the mechanics. Secondly I don't know how much the other tunes have an impact.

I think it was a very round about way of saying "depends on how you drive it"

I basically said the same thing as you - I'm on my original clutch and don't want to replace it any sooner than needed.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #9
jtmiller

Quote:
One odd thing, I emailed TTFS about this and this is the response they gave me:

"Thank you for your interest. I have not yet had a customer feel that the SMG tune is impacting their transmission components. Our SMG tune does not impact your tranny anymore than our engine tune does the engine components. However we do not encourage anyone to buy either one if their engine or their transmission is having problems or showing any type of codes. I am sure you can understand and appreciate why. I think you will enjoy the changes and it is certainly for the money. "

Well first of all I don't really care what the other customers feel, I do care about the mechanics. Secondly I don't know how much the other tunes have an impact.

I think it was a very round about way of saying "depends on how you drive it"

I basically said the same thing as you - I'm on my original clutch and don't want to replace it any sooner than needed.

I could understand why they would discourage you to buy if your tranny has problems, of course they dont want to be blamed. But that isn't a very confident response that I'd like to hear. Id like proof of what ot does. Its good to hear another member has no problems yet but 12k miles in 2 years sounds like its a weekend driver but i wont argue because i average close to the same. Im still skeptical on this tune and thats causing me to hold off, but I really have heard great things, especially about better drive quality which to me sounds great, so even though there may not be proof, I still think I have to try this tune out, but I am delaying my purchase.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #10
tsegreto

Quote:
I could understand why they would discourage you to buy if your tranny has problems, of course they dont want to be blamed. But that isn't a very confident response that I'd like to hear. Id like proof of what ot does. Its good to hear another member has no problems yet but 12k miles in 2 years sounds like its a weekend driver but i wont argue because i average close to the same. Im still skeptical on this tune and thats causing me to hold off, but I really have heard great things, especially about better drive quality which to me sounds great, so even though there may not be proof, I still think I have to try this tune out, but I am delaying my purchase.
Well, you know some users argue that the lower sport modes cause increase wear on the clutch. But of course that must be very negligible. It might be the case that it is actually better for your clutch.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #11
jtmiller

Quote:
Well, you know some users argue that the lower sport modes cause increase wear on the clutch. But of course that must be very negligible. It might be the case that it is actually better for your clutch.

This is also true, it is rumored driving on less than smg 5 wears it more, which i could see why. So a speed up of shifts and more firm could very well be better for it. They emailed me saying simply no better and no worse. But no proof of better or worse is what they said. So I suppose people just haven't had it long enough to tell.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #12
tsegreto

i think I am going to pull the trigger. I just wish they answered their phones.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #13
mrich777

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3 Vert
If you come to bimmer fest east and they are there you might be able to get a special on SMG and engine in one. At least I did a few years ago
mrich777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #14
thisjohnp

My Ride: 05 m3 cpe smg
i have the ttfs tune on my smg and yes it does feel a lot better then the stock shifts. there smoother, and you dont get the jerky starts. engagement is quick, and rev matching is just as good. overall it seems more efficient.
thisjohnp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #15
guhan

My Ride: M3
+1 on this. Have had i for more than a year and enjoy the car a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisjohnp View Post
i have the ttfs tune on my smg and yes it does feel a lot better then the stock shifts. there smoother, and you dont get the jerky starts. engagement is quick, and rev matching is just as good. overall it seems more efficient.
guhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csl, smg, ttfs, tune