E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #101
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Glad I came across this thread

Will be updating periodically as the wife and I just closed on our first house earlier in the year. She has no debt and I have a car note and a CC to pay off from when I was in college. I've been meaning to read Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book. I'm a candidate for my CFP designation in the coming months so I'm sure his book will definitely help in some fashion!

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 08-04-2011 at 11:00 AM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #102
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejheverest View Post
Updates from my January 2011 post.
"Awesome about the car loan!!! We are focusing on mortgages for this year and will continue to send extra payments to our mortgage on the vacation house and I do the same to the other rental property we have. Looking at selling the rental in 2013 and should have no mortgage on the vacation home at that point. That means we'll be 100% debt free by 2013-2014. (I'll be 31-32 and she'll be 30-31 at that point)"

Since then I had an unexpected raise/promotion at work. Since the Horizon incident last year, uscg licensing is becoming more common on the drilling rigs so in June I got bumped up from a third engineer to a first engineer unlimited. Basically no increase in responsibility/job changes except for the 47,000$ raise. I instantly bumped my 401k up to 20% so I hit the 16.5k for this year(company will match 100% up to 6%) I bumped my monthly savings up to 5,000/month since I know my career/profession will be changing within the next few years. I'm 29 now, don't plan on working out at sea at 32 years old so I am saving like crazy right now.
Girlfriend is on the same page, I think conservatively we will have her house paid off by 32. I balance between paying mortages down and putting my savings towards my Thinkorswim trading account. It was much easier changing my savings before I saw my first check, basically I live on the same exact amount I was making before, just save more money each month now.
My 91' 4runner is still running strong, only 92k on it as of today, I'm planning to upgrade back to a BMW once I work on land and can enjoy driving my car daily.
My daily driver will end up most likely being a subaru outback or vw sportwagon, Bmw will be an E30 swap car, E46M3 or another E90 330I like i had before.
Wow! Talk about a nice pay increase!

Sounds like you are doing it right, banking your new income and living like it didn't happen! Congrats. You are a blessed man to be able to sock it away like that and making responsible decisions to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Glad I came across this thread

Will be updating periodically as the wife and I just closed on our first house earlier in the year. She has no debt and I have a car note and a CC to pay off from when I was younger. I've been meaning to read Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book. I'm a candidate for my CFP designation in the coming months so I'm sure his book will definitely help in some fashion!
Sounds like you are in good shape to begin with, but reading TMM will be great for you and your wife to get on the page to stay out of debt and build up your assets responsibly! Best of luck to you.

** Removed **

Last edited by SLVR JDM; 08-04-2011 at 11:00 AM.
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #103
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Well I'm struggling finding a new position. My company is closing and moving up north. I've decided I want out of Louisville, as the market is not showing the opportunities where I can advance my career.

On top of that. We have acquired new debt, for dumb stuff. I won't lie anymore. I bought a timeshare with my wife. We are both travelers and the benefits of having one fit our lifestyle enough to justify it. It was a foreclosed unit so it didn't cost no where near as much as a new one.

Other than that... Just trying to figure out how to get a new job where I move forward not backwards or stay in the same spot.

Student Loan 2: ~$900
T-Share: $9,700

That is it. Feel free to give me any tips on looking for jobs out of state.

Also, still investing 10% in my Roth 401k. Hopefully the market will bounce back eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.

Last edited by BimmerFerret; 08-05-2011 at 08:33 AM.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #104
SLVR JDM

What line of work are you in / do you want to be in? Any "hot spots" for the types of job you are looking for? Is your wife able to get a job easily if you pick up and move?

** Removed **
Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #105
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Yeah, without any info on education/experience/field it's tough to give much advice here. Do you have contacts in your field outside of your current job? Metworking is still the best way to find jobs imo

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #106
dynamictype

My Ride: E 350
Send a message via Skype™ to dynamictype
Headed to a tax-free zone with pay incentives in a few months. Wife has a company car so I got her 2006 G35 and will be selling the Merc, no car payments for either of us!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #107
BimmerFerret

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
What line of work are you in / do you want to be in? Any "hot spots" for the types of job you are looking for? Is your wife able to get a job easily if you pick up and move?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
Yeah, without any info on education/experience/field it's tough to give much advice here. Do you have contacts in your field outside of your current job? Metworking is still the best way to find jobs imo

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer

Sorry guys, here is the "Summary" on my resume. Currently, we are looking into Dallas. Seems the market is a lot stronger for accounting/finance there:

Summary

Accountant with five years of experience currently studying for REG portion of CPA exam. Specialties include general ledger, fixed assets, sales and use taxes, inventory, and accounts receivable. Worked in the restaurant, healthcare, and financial industry. Advanced user with Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and Outlook, as well as advanced with J.D. Edwards, Hyperion/Essbase, and Microsoft Dynamics SL. Strengths in communication of ideas, working in teams, customer service, problem solving, process improvements, and research. Also have experience within sales and working with the public.

---

Anyways, my wife is an accountant as well. She is looking into being a credit analyst or maybe switching paths completely. We are also interested in the "adventure" of a new place too! I have contacts for Louisville jobs and have been exercising them, but the market is so weak here almost every job is wanting to pay almost 5% to 10% less. Bottom line is this: Entry level jobs and mid manager and higher jobs are plentiful here, experienced jobs that are not manager level are harder to come by.

Quote:
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #108
BimmerFerret

Well I found a new job. Temp-to-hire type position for about 6 months. Some may think it is a dumb risk, but honestly, my wife has done it with great success. Also, this breaks me into the manufacturing industry (which typically pays more) and gives me experience with one of the most famed software packages out there: Oracle.

On the money side of the equation, I won't have benefits or a matching 401k for awhile, but I can get on my wife's plan. Also, my job is now hourly. So I do have overtime potential, and with me now making 15% more than my old job, it could be a huge leap in income. I didn't typo that either. I made a 15% jump! Very, very happy about that. I'm fortunate enough to be well above the national average now.

Quote:
Old 08-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #109
SLVR JDM

Congrats!

** Removed **
Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #110
BimmerFerret

Thanks man. My time on E46F probably will go down quite a bit starting next week. I'm gonna be on my best behavior so no internet surfing

Quote:
Old 10-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #111
BimmerFerret

Okay guys, if I posted this in OT, it would turn quickly into: "You are a fvcking moron." fest, but the crowd here seems to be a little bit smarter.

Anyways, I'm selling my BMW and "downgrading" my car. I have major housing projects I want to undertake and we are planning to kickstart our Roth IRAs (meaning max them out very soon), and putting maintenance into my BMW just isn't making sense. In fact, it makes no sense seeing as it is 10+ years old, slow, and depreciating rapidly. I've put in 50%+ of its value (according to KBB) over the last two years and I'm caught up, but now I'm just dealing with one nagging issue after another. Honestly, I'm tired of it.

Tonight I'm looking a car that is a few years older, and has higher miles, but will be leaps and bounds cheaper to work on and far more reliable. I'll probably own this car for a year or so, and then I'll be making a leap to a much nicer car after that once my projects are paid for and I'm debt free but the home.

So...like I said. It isn't a glorious move/situation, but I know it is a smarter financial decision right now.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #112
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFerret View Post
Okay guys, if I posted this in OT, it would turn quickly into: "You are a fvcking moron." fest, but the crowd here seems to be a little bit smarter.

Anyways, I'm selling my BMW and "downgrading" my car. I have major housing projects I want to undertake and we are planning to kickstart our Roth IRAs (meaning max them out very soon), and putting maintenance into my BMW just isn't making sense. In fact, it makes no sense seeing as it is 10+ years old, slow, and depreciating rapidly. I've put in 50%+ of its value (according to KBB) over the last two years and I'm caught up, but now I'm just dealing with one nagging issue after another. Honestly, I'm tired of it.

Tonight I'm looking a car that is a few years older, and has higher miles, but will be leaps and bounds cheaper to work on and far more reliable. I'll probably own this car for a year or so, and then I'll be making a leap to a much nicer car after that once my projects are paid for and I'm debt free but the home.

So...like I said. It isn't a glorious move/situation, but I know it is a smarter financial decision right now.
Ok. As long as you know it is a better financial decision. But make sure it is a smarter financial decision. Can you post numbers? Such as:

1.) How much are you selling the e46 for (and do you own it outright)?
2.) How much per year does the e46 cost in maintenance (it sounds like you just paid for a lot of maintenance, hopefully it was the common e46 problems like water pump, radiator, control arms, etc..... But think about this, if you did just replace these items then your e46 may be problem free from this point foward).
3.) How much is the "new" car?
4.) Does the new car have any immediate maintenance needs?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #113
BimmerFerret

1.) $8,100 OBO
2.) $2,000 year if you split it out between ownership time - Yes it was common big items like you mentioned, but I put a LOT of miles on the cars. I just did rotors for the second time. I bought my first set from a vendor on here too...
3.) $3,500
4.) No. Car is in perfect mechanical condition. Interior (while cheaper quality) is in better condition, exterior seems to be in great condition according to pics too.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #114
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
1.) $8,100 OBO
2.) $2,000 year if you split it out between ownership time - Yes it was common big items like you mentioned, but I put a LOT of miles on the cars. I just did rotors for the second time. I bought my first set from a vendor on here too...
3.) $3,500
4.) No. Car is in perfect mechanical condition. Interior (while cheaper quality) is in better condition, exterior seems to be in great condition according to pics too.
Sounds good.

Use the ~$4600 wisely (i.e., pay off your home improvements!!)
Old 10-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #115
BimmerFerret

I doubt it will be that much honestly. Gotta figure in taxes and that is only if the E46 sells for that amount.

Thanks man

Quote:
Old 10-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #116
Recon2005

My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
Quote:

Mature decisions are rarely glorious, but IMHO you are making a good choice. "Live like no one else so later on you can live like no one else"

BTW, I am a Ramsey follower...paid off 45K in two years and have one years expenses in the bank; only owe on my house. I was a financial degenerate...

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #117
BimmerFerret

Thanks man. I saw the car tonight and test drove it. For a 10+ y/o car and 200k miles, it drives pretty damn good. I agreed to the purchase and will be writing a check for it.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #118
SLVR JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon2005 View Post
Mature decisions are rarely glorious, but IMHO you are making a good choice. "Live like no one else so later on you can live like no one else"

BTW, I am a Ramsey follower...paid off 45K in two years and have one years expenses in the bank; only owe on my house. I was a financial degenerate...
Very true.
Congrats on your financial turnaround!

Quote:
Thanks man. I saw the car tonight and test drove it. For a 10+ y/o car and 200k miles, it drives pretty damn good. I agreed to the purchase and will be writing a check for it.
Sounds like you are making the right move. People may not always understand, but an inexpensive / low maintenance car makes a lot of sense when you are getting started on the right track.

I've recently considered selling my G35 for a cheap commuter car since I don't put many miles on it. I figure I will probably be better served by "cashing out" while it is still worth some money. I can't quite decide though.

I own it, so all it costs me is maintenance, insurance, and gas.
Then again, I can probably bank $10k easy if I sell it and get a $5k car. Tough situation since I need to haul kids once in a while, so it can't be a complete POS. I'll probably end up keeping it since it meets my current needs and I don't have a payment.

** Removed **
Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #119
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Just recently paid off my last CC a few weeks back.

Never again!

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #120
BimmerFerret

Good for you! And thanks for the encouraging words JDM.

I think after I get my housing stuff done and go to Europe, I may consider a 2013 Genesis Coupe or 2011+ GT. I love both cars and the 2013 Gen Coupe has some major upgrades heading its way that make it a LOT more interesting!

Yes I know car debt is dumb, but I'm investing now, and I won't have any other debt. Just the car and house (15/yr mortgage). Also, I am going into the ground eventually so might as well enjoy life. Quit a different tune from when I first joined this site, but oh well. I feel like I've matured over the years.

Quote: