E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #181
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
seems to me you have created too much flow. maybe not enough back pressure.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #182
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
There is less piping than there used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
seems to me you have created too much flow. maybe not enough back pressure.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #183
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
you need a tune bad,

Little analogy, your car is an Olympic Athlete but its brain is at a high school All-State level.

Or maybe something like your car is a high powered NFL offense, but your quarterback is better than average at the collegiate level.

whatever the case, it's time to get serious with the tuning. IMHO
Old 09-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #184
aggieE46
Keep it clean

So, here's the rundown of how the afternoon went.

Sat in traffic from downtown Dallas to the dyno shop about 26 miles away. Not fun.

When I got there, I got about 5 minutes of cooldown before he drove the car onto the rollers, strapped me down, and did the first 2 pulls. Both were about 2hp-ish below my "best" pulls, including a major dip in torque. The operator then gave me about 10-15 minutes of cooldown. At this point another guy came in to do my last pull. I went to the adjoining room to watch the graph in progress. Although initial torque was down, peak torque and hp were slightly above my last session (as the graph was up as a reference). I was excited, and then he cut it off at 6200 (before my car usually peaks). I think peak torque hit 221 on that pull. I walked into the room as he was about to pull the straps. I let him know what happened and he said he'd do another pull. He got right in the car and started it up (no cooldown). After the pull, he realized that he hadn't started the sampling... lovely. So he immediately started again. Needless to say, numbers were even lower. I felt quite defeated last night.

On a positive note, my son is looking good! His size is actually almost 3 weeks ahead of schedule (I was also a big baby). I'm happy he's big and strong!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #185
aggieE46
Keep it clean

You're probably very right about this. I have an opportunity to have some good tuning done, but it involves running a different fuel filter and an AFPR. Not sure if I'm ready to mess with all that, yet. Software would be free for me. He claims he's been making an additional 10-15hp over standard NA tunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ious View Post
you need a tune bad,

Little analogy, your car is an Olympic Athlete but its brain is at a high school All-State level.

Or maybe something like your car is a high powered NFL offense, but your quarterback is better than average at the collegiate level.

whatever the case, it's time to get serious with the tuning. IMHO
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #186
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
The y-pipe was already fab'd when I got the exhaust. I just had Stett weld it up into place, mainly. It's about 2 inches coming off the headers, and they merge to 2.5 and it expands to 3. I think it'd be better if they merged into a 3.
There's your problem, you need a better Y merge collector.

I would contact Burns.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #187
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Already sent them an email

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
There's your problem, you need a better Y merge collector.

I would contact Burns.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #188
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Sorry about the Dyno didn't go well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
On a positive note, my son is looking good! His size is actually almost 3 weeks ahead of schedule (I was also a big baby). I'm happy he's big and strong!

Those are the BEST RESULTS IN THIS THREAD!

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #189
aggieE46
Keep it clean

I agree 100%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post

Those are the BEST RESULTS IN THIS THREAD!

-TrippinBimmer
Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #190
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
Sorry to hear about the bad dyno experience, but every time you and everyone else here is learning!

+1 on the good news about your son- congrats!!!

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Current: Eurospec imported 2003 330XI 6MT
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #191
beemka

My Ride: 330Ci
if you can post internal diameters of your pipes before and after the merge, I think I can tell why you lost torque.
beemka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #192
aggieE46
Keep it clean

The flanges are from the original exhaust and are 2.05 OD. The piping running to the merge is the same, 2.05 (I just measured). Where it merges is 2.39 OD. It expands to the 3 inch in about 6-7 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemka View Post
if you can post internal diameters of your pipes before and after the merge, I think I can tell why you lost torque.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #193
beemka

ok, and what's OD - overall diameter, outer d. ?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #194
aggieE46
Keep it clean

outer diameter.

Pics to follow.

Quote:
ok, and what's OD - overall diameter, outer d. ?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #195
aggieE46
Keep it clean

I'm not much of a photographer, but:

Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #196
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
glad to hear about your son, sad to hear about the crappy pulls. Hopefully you can go back and get one solid cool pull to see where you are really at. BTW did the dive at 4200 dissappear or did it get worse?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #197
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Burns got me the PN I need for the merge.

This is what they use for the E30 M3.

Still has a small step, but not nearly as long. The merge into the neck is much smoother, too.

Just need to get some money together. Dang, so many things to do.

By the way, if anyone wants to donate to help with this research, I accept Paypal

I actually had one very nice Fanatic donate to help with this dyno. I won't name him, because I don't think he'd want everyone hitting him up for cash, haha! (But, thank you very much, it is appreciated).

Last edited by aggieE46; 09-16-2010 at 04:32 PM.
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #198
beemka

According to my knowledge, after quite extensive reading about exhaust design, I can say that when you merge two pipes into one, the perfect ratio of pipe internal diameter before and after is 1.1892 In your case (don't have ID,so I'll use OD) 2,05 x 1,1892 = 2,4379 <-- that's the diameter of your ideal "aftermerger". I know it may seem small, but you should consider, that the exhaust gases from particular cylinders don't run through the same pipe at the same time. What's more, with a bigger pipe, you loose a lot of gas velocity, especially at low revs, slow flow means also gas temperature drop => fumes become denser. Exhuast gases have an inertia. When they escape the cylinder, behind them creates itself an area of lower pressure which, during valve overlap, pulls the A/F mixture into cylinder. That means better VE and more torque. And that has nothing to do with harmonics, that's a different story. In this case, it's about dynamic work of gases. Now, IMO, because of 3' piping, you have slow flow and dense fumes at low revs. And this situation substantially ruins the "inertia effect" and thus your torque.
BTW, I really don't think the merge design is to be blamed for your duno results.
But, I'm not an expert, and that's just my 0,02c
ps.
sorry for my english - I'm still learning.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #199
aggieE46
Keep it clean

No worries about your english. It's better than what I usually see on the forum.

I definitely appreciate your input.

Quote:
According to my knowledge, after quite extensive reading about exhaust design, I can say that when you merge two pipes into one, the perfect ratio of pipe internal diameter before and after is 1.1892 In your case (don't have ID,so I'll use OD) 2,05 x 1,1892 = 2,4379 <-- that's the diameter of your ideal "aftermerger". I know it may seem small, but you should consider, that the exhaust gases from particular cylinders don't run through the same pipe at the same time. What's more, with a bigger pipe, you loose a lot of gas velocity, especially at low revs, slow flow means also gas temperature drop => fumes become denser. Exhuast gases have an inertia. When they escape the cylinder, behind them creates itself an area of lower pressure which, during valve overlap, pulls the A/F mixture into cylinder. That means better VE and more torque. And that has nothing to do with harmonics, that's a different story. In this case, it's about dynamic work of gases. Now, IMO, because of 3' piping, you have slow flow and dense fumes at low revs. And this situation substantially ruins the "inertia effect" and thus your torque.
BTW, I really don't think the merge design is to be blamed for your duno results.
But, I'm not an expert, and that's just my 0,02c
ps.
sorry for my english - I'm still learning.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #200
beemka

No problem, I'd really like to hear Burns opinion about that. If you look at this site
http://www.burnsstainless.com/2into1.aspx
you can't find a 2in1 merge collector, that even predicts such a "hardcore" ratio of diameters as yours. They almost never exceed 1.4 and I'm pretty sure, the HC ratios are for turbocharged engines only, n/a usually run much lower ratios.Oobvioulsy good for turbo application =/= good for N/A engine.

ps. edit - wrong interpretation

Last edited by beemka; 09-16-2010 at 04:12 PM.