E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #261
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
Nice! Its good to see that overall the new exhaust did its jobs and suits your car well (for what you need it for)

Can't wait to see what some tuning does!!

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Current: Eurospec imported 2003 330XI 6MT
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #262
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Great work! I love threads like these...

Quick (amateur) question: Are the post-header diameters the same size on your car? I noticed that mine have different sizes... On my headers AND the Bastuck midpipes
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #263
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
This is pretty fun to see. Without using this feature I didn't realize how much of a difference I was making. I put the cursor at the biggest difference. A little over 6wtq and 5whp. At 6000rpm (which is the last point it'll let me compare) I'm making about 3whp/3tq more.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #264
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
this graph is just the difference between having you new exhaust/old exhaust right? both were done post TB.

BTW how much does stett charge for welding something like this. I am starting my e30 soon, and was going to do a similar exhaust on it.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #265
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Yep.

I'll PM you about the welding.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #266
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
This is pretty fun to see. Without using this feature I didn't realize how much of a difference I was making. I put the cursor at the biggest difference. A little over 6wtq and 5whp. At 6000rpm (which is the last point it'll let me compare) I'm making about 3whp/3tq more.
Cool! nice to see a payoff!

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #267
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Nice
Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #268
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #269
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
When I swapped my OBD2 manifolds for the euro headers I actualy lost a few hp until I changed the tune. Headers were making it run too rich. Leaning it gained the lost power back and then some, but it responded very nicely to retarding the exhaust cam at that point.

I think you have power to gain from tweaking your VANOS.
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #270
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
I believe Brady said there is a tune in the works.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #271
hoveringuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
I believe Brady said there is a tune in the works.
Yes, there are lots of variables in a tune, it helps to know what has worked for others.... This plot shows what retarding the exhaust cam by 4 degrees (8 crank degrees) did. Not other changes. Previous to the exhaust upgrade retarding the exhaust cam LOST power.

This was done with the M50 throttle body and full e36 OBD2 exhaust. I've probably gained around 10hp since then with an M54 TB and better exhaust, plus a VR crank sensor instead of Hall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	retarding 4 degrees.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	376584  

Last edited by hoveringuy; 09-21-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #272
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
This is awsome news! Brady can you get a video of the set up whenever you get the chance? I also want to see what the new y pipe will do in the future. Maybe your place could make another one, I would definitely pay to get it done.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:28 AM   #273
mkodama

I'm happy you actually did make some gains. I was starting to feel kinda stupid, selling you exhaust stuff that was just made you lose power.

Also, that dyno by hoveringuy is pretty interesting, and it makes a good deal of sense to me. Though, the M50 didn't have a variable position exhaust camshaft like the M54, so I wonder how much of a difference it would make on an M54, if it is even possible.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 AM   #274
xixixi
Banned User

you can't retard the timing in an engine with VVT/Vanos. You would have to remove the vanos/VVT. Doing that would be stupid. It's the best of both worlds you can get low end tq and when you get into the revs you will get the top end you want. If you have a dedicated track car pick a cam that gives you what you want in the rpm range you need/want and tune from there. Without vanos/vvt, you can't have your cake and eat it to. You will either lose something on the bottom or something on the top. There is no cam that will give you power through more than 2 to 2.5k rpms. The guys that are messing with the timing have a specific purpose with a specific rpm. If you add nitrous you can mess with the timing to pick up a little hp while off the bottle. That's why some people that are running timing for nitrous and don't spray can pick up a few hp by changing the timing. IIRC the duration is longer with juice set ups to allow the intake valve to stay open a little longer.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #275
hoveringuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I'm happy you actually did make some gains. I was starting to feel kinda stupid, selling you exhaust stuff that was just made you lose power.

Also, that dyno by hoveringuy is pretty interesting, and it makes a good deal of sense to me. Though, the M50 didn't have a variable position exhaust camshaft like the M54, so I wonder how much of a difference it would make on an M54, if it is even possible.
It is an M54. It's an M54 running OBD1 electronics and my own VANOS controller. I'm able to adjust the VANOS timing on the fly... push of the button in the cockpit. That's why it was so easy for me to run different cam settings at the dyno to see that retarding the exhaust cam was doing.

I look at the results and change the profiles on the cams. I can run whatever exhaust retard/intake advance I want, whenever I want.

The only thing that was M50 was the throttle body, because my electronic throttle body controller wasn't done.

www.seattlecircuit.com

Last edited by hoveringuy; 09-22-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #276
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoveringuy View Post
It is an M54. It's an M54 running OBD1 electronics and my own VANOS controller. I'm able to adjust the VANOS timing on the fly... push of the button in the cockpit. That's why it was so easy for me to run different cam settings at the dyno to see that retarding the exhaust cam was doing.

I look at the results and change the profiles on the cams. I can run whatever exhaust retard/intake advance I want, whenever I want.

The only thing that was M50 was the throttle body, because my electronic throttle body controller wasn't done.

www.seattlecircuit.com
So does this vanos circuit only work with obd1??
Old 09-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #277
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
you can't retard the timing in an engine with VVT/Vanos. You would have to remove the vanos/VVT. Doing that would be stupid. It's the best of both worlds you can get low end tq and when you get into the revs you will get the top end you want. If you have a dedicated track car pick a cam that gives you what you want in the rpm range you need/want and tune from there. Without vanos/vvt, you can't have your cake and eat it to. You will either lose something on the bottom or something on the top. There is no cam that will give you power through more than 2 to 2.5k rpms. The guys that are messing with the timing have a specific purpose with a specific rpm. If you add nitrous you can mess with the timing to pick up a little hp while off the bottle. That's why some people that are running timing for nitrous and don't spray can pick up a few hp by changing the timing. IIRC the duration is longer with juice set ups to allow the intake valve to stay open a little longer.
Yes you can retard the timing on a VANOS equipped engine.

Agreed about the cams when looking at them by themselves; they have a sweet spot of about 2000 RPM. Normally you will find peak torque to be 1500 RPM below peak HP with fixed cam timing.

Look at the torque output of the N52 engines. With 2 stages of resonance tuning in the intake manifold, variable valve timing, and variable lift, (not a performance benefit at WOT) it's torque band is over 3000 RPM wide. The trick there is the tuning....

I am the only person I know of to experiment with Nitrous on M54s with the ability to "tune". Who else are you referencing that has changed timing on an M54 running nitrous?

Changing cam timing has NO effect on the valve opening and closing duration.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #278
hoveringuy

Quote:
The MS43 would go absolutely ape-shit if you took control of the VANOS without its approval.

HOWEVER, I suppose it would be possible to intercept the cam sensor signals and electronically retard/advance them to get the same result.

MS43 would be happy because it wouldn't know any better, but the cams could be adjusted independently.

A VANOS piggyback controller. Hmmm....

Last edited by hoveringuy; 09-22-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks
Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #279
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
It's simply a PWM control device; it could work as a boost controller, or even control the Idle Air Valve if wired to them. The trick here is that he's figured out the timing events of the engine which he has asked be kept private. (He's a pretty smart cookie, and it took him some time) Basically, this device could work on any BMW engine with variable valve control with a bit of adaptation regardless of it's OBD status.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #280
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoveringuy View Post
The MS43 would go abdolutely ape-shit if you took control of the VANOS without its approval.

HOWEVER, I suppose it would be possible to intercept the cam sensor signals and electronically retard/advance them to get the same result.

MS43 would be happy because it wouldn't know any better, but the cams could be adjusted independently.

A VANOS piggyback controller. Hmmm....
Me and wiring are like oil and water.... so basically cut into it before the CPS??