E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #281
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoveringuy View Post
The MS43 would go absolutely ape-shit if you took control of the VANOS without its approval.

HOWEVER, I suppose it would be possible to intercept the cam sensor signals and electronically retard/advance them to get the same result.

MS43 would be happy because it wouldn't know any better, but the cams could be adjusted independently.

A VANOS piggyback controller. Hmmm....
I believe the DME would simply trigger a CEL...same as what happens with the HPF kits. It's the same type of setup. (From a control perspective)
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #282
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Me and wiring are like oil and water.... so basically cut into it before the CPS??
Between the cam sensor and the ECU.

Of course, the reason I need this on the 413 is that it doesn't do dual VANOS. The MS43 can just have its tuning revised to do exactly what I'm doing.
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #283
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Yes you can retard the timing on a VANOS equipped engine.

Agreed about the cams when looking at them by themselves; they have a sweet spot of about 2000 RPM. Normally you will find peak torque to be 1500 RPM below peak HP with fixed cam timing.

Look at the torque output of the N52 engines. With 2 stages of resonance tuning in the intake manifold, variable valve timing, and variable lift, (not a performance benefit at WOT) it's torque band is over 3000 RPM wide. The trick there is the tuning....

I am the only person I know of to experiment with Nitrous on M54s with the ability to "tune". Who else are you referencing that has changed timing on an M54 running nitrous?

Changing cam timing has NO effect on the valve opening and closing duration.
I was talking motor's in general not just M54's. I'm still learning got a few more years of book work I suppose you would need to change cams to keep the intake open longer. I was a little off Makes since now hovering you only have vanos on the intake side. so you basically came up with your own dual vanos? Good info here!

Last edited by xixixi; 09-22-2010 at 11:13 AM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #284
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
Quick (amateur) question: Are the post-header diameters the same size on your car? I noticed that mine have different sizes... On my headers AND the Bastuck midpipes
I noticed the same thing on mine, very odd.

I wish I would have dyno'd my car before I had the new exhaust built. My new exhaust is very similar to Aggie's, a flange, maybe a foot or so of piping, a merge to 3" piping, a 3" straight through muffler, (flowmaster?) then another flange before the final muffler, and 3" (reduces 2.5" internally, not sure why) Borla Pro XS.

It's nice and quiet on the street, and I can easily unbolt the Borla to uncork it for competition time. Love it. Not sure if it actually made any power, but I dropped probably 40 lbs.

Last edited by murph1379; 09-23-2010 at 03:37 PM.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #285
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
this was a good read

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...exh/index.html

explains a lot of details related to building a custom exhaust to make maximum power.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #286
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
Excited to see a dyno after tuning!

I've been debating AA vs. Shark for a long time, but it seems you're going a 3rd path, which I'd like to know more about

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Current: Eurospec imported 2003 330XI 6MT
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #287
TiAgTouring

Just for reference, and the discussions/ debates a couple pages ago between M52 and 54 exhausts, here is 323 vs ZHP Exhausts side by side:

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Old 10-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #288
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Does the 323 also have two different sized pipes immediately after the manifolds?
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #289
msuka

My Ride: 2013 335i M sport
great thread, just went on the maxbore site and seems they will not do bmw throttle bodys any more looks like it was a real pain for them, also i read some where you can put a 540i throttle body on our engine and its 80mm wide, wonder if it would work.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #290
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Guess that makes mine special
Old 10-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #291
TiAgTouring

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuka View Post
great thread, just went on the maxbore site and seems they will not do bmw throttle bodys any more looks like it was a real pain for them, also i read some where you can put a 540i throttle body on our engine and its 80mm wide, wonder if it would work.
I assume 540i is electronic? I wonder what other older BMW Tb's are mechanical that I could swap into my 323 with my M54B30 Intake Manifold?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #292
mkodama

I'd Paypal anybody $1 if they could prove there was a pressure difference(ie. flow restriction) before and after the throttle body on their 330.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #293
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
I have stock dual 330i exhaust pipes from a 2001 330Ci with both resonators deleted welded to a Supersprint muffler. I've been reading this thread and it is very interesting. Am I right to conclude what I believe I have learned?

1. It seems like going from dual to single will mainly save weight.
2. Whilst Y pipe length/taper & positioning for a single determines whether you have more torque down below or up high.

The next question is I need to replace the pipes on my car as the old ghetto welds are starting to show signs of wear and I am getting vibration inside the pipes. I was toying with the idea of going for a 3" single, but it seems like having a 3" single is great for up to 700hp and my car has nowhere close to 300hp. My friend at the shop was saying all I'd need is 2.75" single to maintain street clearance height from the pipe. Would going to a single pipe with stock headers/TB make any difference? If it saves a lot of weight then I guess that's probably one of the only things that help the vehicle in less mass rather than n/a bolt ons. If I were to choose a torque curve, I would want performance for the street which is low end torque. My car doesn't get timed at a track when I'm there so that's not an issue for me right now.

I need to make a decision soon as my car is sounding more and more like an old rusted Oldsmobile day by day....LOL. If you guys have advice in what is best for this application, then it would be great. I'd still love to have a nice deep sound and I've just learned that welding on different length closed canisters to the end of the exhaust will help control drone. Seems like exhaust systems is quite an art to understand and I know I'm just learning the tip of it!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #294
aggieE46
Keep it clean

I just have to say.... there are some AWESOME members on this forum. Thanks to the encouragement and opportunities from a select few, I'll have a few new updates early next year. Stay tuned!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:56 AM   #295
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Hey Aggie, I love your thread it is motivation for me! Got a couple of questions for you.

1) Do you have a before and after dyno of the stett performance silicone intake boots? I know they're mainly for eliminating the torn rubber causing vaccum leaks, and I just replaced mine back in Jan, but it seems like they smooth out the flow a bit compared to the stock ones with the bellows in them. So I'm really tempted to get them for this reason, and if no one else has before and after dyno's then if I spring for these then I'll get an after since I already have a before.

2) Underdrive pulleys I know you're running evosports and they seem to offer the best performance, anywhere to get them besides evosports site?

3) Tune, I know you just have the sharkinjector, but I presume you might be getting a custom tune sometime in the future. So are you going to just go with AA or ESS, or do you have someone who can tune the MS43 software? I would personally love to get a custom dyno tune done, but no one around me seems to be able to work with any of the siemens ecm point blank period. Although my dyno guy and someone else from this forum who is big into running e36 race cars (wish I could remember his name on here otherwise I'd be talking in depth with him right now) are working on rigging up motech (or maybe its motos?) so that they can custom tune the siemens. Anyways if you have someone who can work with the siemens let me know because I am interested!!!!
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #296
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
I can jump in and answer your last question. the pople you are talking about is moates.net and they sell various chips for OBD1 cars. I plan on running their Ostrich 2.0 emulator on my e30. Basically using TunerPro - free software - it allows you to trace your various engine parameters that are controled by the ECU and change them - everything from RPM limits to AFR. Basically an Ostrich 2.0 and a AEM UEGO wideband and you can do all the tuning in the world in your garage. but only on an OBD1 car.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #297
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Bump for anything new!
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #298
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Not a lot going on performance-wise at the moment. Just installed an Innovate LC-1 to get the emissions monitors to pass. I'll get a gauge hooked up soon.

Just paid my deposit for the ATI damper. I'll be really happy to get that swapped out. My stock damper worries me.

Installing new RSMs this week along with used M3 motor mounts and low mileage front shock mounts, as the bearings in mine are shot.

I have a Dinan intake on the way for testing. After that, I have two major projects for 2011 up my sleeves. I'll probably need to replace my clutch, too.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #299
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Let me know how the LC-1 goes. I'm running one as well but it has yet to cancel out all CELs...
Old 01-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #300
aggieE46
Keep it clean

So far, so good. My only issue is that the monitor for the heaters hasn't passed. I'm guessing I need to change up the resistors I'm using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgrand View Post
Let me know how the LC-1 goes. I'm running one as well but it has yet to cancel out all CELs...