E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
How to replace inner bushings of rear upper/lower control arms?

So, one day I went out and found my driver's side rear tire was completely flat. I decided to replaced it with spare and think 'wth happened?' later.

Anddd..didn't take too much time to figure out why.

Obviously excessive camber wear must've overstressed the tire, eventually made it torn.

So, thanks to numbers of DIYs and edzgarage on youtube, I was able to figure out how to replace outer bushings of upper(#2)/lower(#3) control arms and RTAB(#4).
BUT the problem is the INNER bushings..#6 and #14

I wasn't able to find any DIY for replacing those bushes, not even an information of what tools would I need for that specific job. Of course I could just buy new upper/lower control arms with pre-installed bushings, but $600 vs $60? What would you choose???

Does anyone know how to replace those bushes? Or what kind of tools would I need? Well edzgarage's video showed this tool;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Rear-Axl..._Tools&vxp=mtr
Would this kit capable of removing/installing inner bushes as well?

I have very limited knowledge of this sort of tools and don't have much experience on rear suspension jobs, I may rely on your advice a lot.
Thanks a million!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Wondering the same thing myself...bump.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I would love to know too. Anyone out there who has tried this yet?
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
you just unbolt the mount and press it out and push a new one in?
search RTAB DIY.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
SLO Town
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
OP, having done this job before, you understand you have to remove the rear diff to replace these bushings, right?

You will need Baum tool #B333351 to do this job.

Scott
Original Owner 2003 330Ci ZSP, 3145 lbs, 5-spd, leather, Alcantara wheel, 19x8.5" BBS, RE-11s, ZHP FCAs/diff cover/weighted knob, M3 eng + trans mounts/outer RCABs/RCABs with Turner limiters, Group N inner RCABs, Bilstein Sports (E36 M3 rears), Eibach P-K, H&R bars, BMW Performance Rotors, Turner caliper bushings, StopTech lines, Borla, RE pullies/RSM, Stewart WP, M-Technic Trunk Spoiler, Mason pedal/strut bar/end links, B&M shifter, UUC DSSR

Last edited by SLO Town; 11-28-2011 at 11:49 AM.
SLO Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Town View Post
OP, having done this job before, you understand you have to remove the rear diff to replace these bushings, right?

You will need Baum tool #B333351 to do this job.

Scott
You don't have to remove diff to replace the bushings. The bolt is pretty long and you'll have to play around with it to get it to drop, but you can do it w/o dropping diff
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
rawbspear

My Ride: 04' E46 XIT 5 speed
i found this tool and am about to buy it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Rear-Axl...1fb70e&vxp=mtr

there is also a tool for the differential bushing but im wondering if the above tool kit will do it. cant really seem to find out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-E85-...f8d8b4&vxp=mtr_nr_
rawbspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
SLO Town
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
You don't have to remove diff to replace the bushings. The bolt is pretty long and you'll have to play around with it to get it to drop, but you can do it w/o dropping diff
To replace bushing #14 in the above illustration, you have to drop the diff.

Scott
Original Owner 2003 330Ci ZSP, 3145 lbs, 5-spd, leather, Alcantara wheel, 19x8.5" BBS, RE-11s, ZHP FCAs/diff cover/weighted knob, M3 eng + trans mounts/outer RCABs/RCABs with Turner limiters, Group N inner RCABs, Bilstein Sports (E36 M3 rears), Eibach P-K, H&R bars, BMW Performance Rotors, Turner caliper bushings, StopTech lines, Borla, RE pullies/RSM, Stewart WP, M-Technic Trunk Spoiler, Mason pedal/strut bar/end links, B&M shifter, UUC DSSR

SLO Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Dirtsquirt

My Ride: Wagon (its no e30)
The top bushing is a simple press out / press in deal. Be sure that you get them going in the correct way! One end is longer and (from memory) it goes towards the front.

I don't know why you'd replace the lower bushing. Just buy new arms, those things bend like butter so chances are yours are a little tweaked anyway.
Dirtsquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
rcrescencio

My Ride: 2003 M3
Where can i get the information about which direction the inner upper bushing goes for sure? "from memory"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtsquirt View Post
The top bushing is a simple press out / press in deal. Be sure that you get them going in the correct way! One end is longer and (from memory) it goes towards the front.

I don't know why you'd replace the lower bushing. Just buy new arms, those things bend like butter so chances are yours are a little tweaked anyway.
rcrescencio is offline   Reply With Quote