E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #81
CrazyOneToo

My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
BMW E46 Sunshade Sunroof Final Fix COMPLETE Pictorial DIY

Is the driver in the first picture the same as is pictured in the second photo that says "sliding head" ???
I want to manufacture something that might work as one but have never saw an original driver.
Mine was gone when I got my car and I'll have to guess at the size unless someone knows and can post the dimensions here.

1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

AutohausAZ.com/

CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #82
swansislander

My Ride: BMW 330i
This procedure and comments have been most useful for me. Thank you (all) so much!
One thing I found in the case of my 2002 330i, the 'driver' is forever behind the rear driver-side clip and only pushes the sunshade slide forward when returning the window from all the way to the rear.
The window assembly carries the sunshade slide back as it is being moved back out of the opening.
Especially good article and photos. You do good work.
Swansislander

Last edited by swansislander; 10-24-2012 at 11:36 AM.
swansislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #83
CrazyOneToo

My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by M325er22 View Post
I used lithium grease about a month back. Its slides super smooth. Just be sure to put it on all the rails and driver tab. Hth

Sent from my LG-P509 using Bimmer App
Thanks. That worked well. Slides smoothly and very quiet now.

1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

AutohausAZ.com/

CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #84
grips03

My Ride: 2004 325XI
Thanks for this write up.
grips03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #85
halo0

My Ride: '02 330i 5mt
Just wanted to add my thanks for the awesome write-up!

I did mine this past weekend and found that the only things that were broken were the plastic on both driver's side clips and the plastic cover on the driver head. But my driver was bound up back in the cavity and stopping the glass from sliding forward. After about an hour of fu*king around with it I finally figured out that I could get it to move forward by simultaneously pushing back on the driver and operating the sunroof switch forward. This is because of the friction and the front edge of the driver was biting down into the rail. Once I got it forward I saw that the driver was bent a little but was pretty easy to get back in shape. I used white lithium grease to lube everything.

Since the dealer wasn't open I did a quick patch by putting electrical tape around the driver head, then flattened the front and rear of it by squeezing with some pliers. Since apparently you can't buy this part I'm going to try to fab up something more permanent. Has anyone else done this? I saw one post about using a piece of a cutting board or rubber. The main thing I'd be concerned about is that whatever you put on there would eventually work its way off and you'd risk the driver chewing up the clips again. Any other ideas? I may just add a little more tape.

edit: my dealer wants $10.59 EACH for the left sliding clips.

^Click, stop by and say hi.^ ------ 5% off Redline leather

Last edited by halo0; 01-16-2013 at 09:23 AM.
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #86
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo0 View Post
Has anyone else done this? I saw one post about using a piece of a cutting board or rubber. The main thing I'd be concerned about is that whatever you put on there would eventually work its way off and you'd risk the driver chewing up the clips again. Any other ideas? I may just add a little more tape.

edit: my dealer wants $10.59 EACH for the left sliding clips.
My driver was busted, but ignore the driver as long as the metal is there you can fab up something was simpler. The problem is that if the front left clip passes by the driver the sunshade gets stuck in the back. So just make something and attach it to the front clip to make it taller so it will always hit the driver. And now the driver arm can me as mangled as you want !

I went to Home Depot and bought some plumbing strap (looks like a metal strip with holes in it) cut about a 3 inch piece folded over it self just at one end to create a bump up then attach the price you made on top of the front left driver the holes are spaced just enough to attach it using the stco screws that hold the mpunting clips that always break, make sure the front left clip can't go past the driver arm and your good ! Mines been running like that for the last 3 years and I open mine like everyday in the summer.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #87
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
First, thanks for the DIY write up. I did mine today and my driver was completely off the rail. The head was mangled and a plastic tab on the other end was broken off, it's unusable. My sunshade's springy clips were each missing an arm. I have to replace the sunshade. Put some 2.5% tint on for now until i get a replacement.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #88
Fred22

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Thank you so much!!! as soon as i get home, i'll loosen the Torx bolts on the Sunroof, and push it up to adjust!!!
Duh!!! My sunshade is "free wheeling" since IT'S driver is also broken, so i can just push it back out of the way
and get my Torx on.
Fred22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #89
Green_Giant

My Ride: 2000 328i 2002 325xi
Has anyone attempted to fix the passenger side spring clips? I'd really rather not replace the entire sun shade just because one of those clips is broken...
Green_Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #90
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Giant View Post
Has anyone attempted to fix the passenger side spring clips? I'd really rather not replace the entire sun shade just because one of those clips is broken...
easy fix--just pop it out and a new one in. Done all the time.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #91
Green_Giant

My Ride: 2000 328i 2002 325xi
Pop out the entire sunshade or is there a way to just repair the clips? The passenger side doesn't appear to be easily repaired. If you know where i can find the actual metal part of the clip, could you share? Thanks!
Green_Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #92
mowens

My Ride: 1999 323i
I bought my '99 323i sport pkg in early 2010 & noticed on my test drive that the shade was missing -- I asked the vendor about it and he said he had just taken it out, but would give it to me -- being generally obsessive about putting things where they belong, I initially wanted to re-install it, but after checking the maintenance papers I got with the car, I saw that it had been replaced once already in California by the original dealer -- then I read all the posts here at this site, including some graphic and apparently helpful DIY ones -- but I also saw the comments that there was an underlying design flaw, particularly because of the driver on one side only -- I decided that even if I got it working again, it was likely only temporary, and returned the new clips I had purchased at the BMW dealer, and took my car to a reputable window tinting place and had them put a dark "limousine" tint on the sunroof glass for less than $100 -- I've never regretted it -- the tint keeps the interior of the car from heating up like a greenhouse, and I have no problems with the motor sliding back the glass when I want the sunroof open
mowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #93
inferno nexus

My Ride: 2003 325i AT
Can't get the driver out

I tried to fix my sunshade and after replacing the clips and when testing the mechanism, the driver simply went over the rear clip and into the back of the rail. I removed the sunshade again and tried to bring it forward using the sunroof motor both electronically and manually with the hex key but its not moving at all. Any ideas on how to fish it out? It seems to be pretty difficult to slide around when I was first installing the new clips on the sunshade...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1599.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	536062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	536063  
inferno nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #94
golanM3

My Ride: E46 M3
Anyone had experience where the sunshade won't slide back while the moonroof is closed all the way? I can't get access to the bolts this way, suggestions?
golanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #95
UNFORGIVEN
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Bagged Stang, 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by golanM3 View Post
Anyone had experience where the sunshade won't slide back while the moonroof is closed all the way? I can't get access to the bolts this way, suggestions?
Don't know if this is for your e36 as listed in "My Ride", or if that even matters. I've had that issue with mine. I would slide the shade back and forth until it went all the way.

It's as if it were off track or something. Hopefully that's all there is to your situation?

Special thanks to Mr. AWD for the new sig...
UNFORGIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #96
inferno nexus

Quote:
What happens to the sunshade if you try to open the moonroof?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #97
golanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNFORGIVEN View Post
Don't know if this is for your e36 as listed in "My Ride", or if that even matters. I've had that issue with mine. I would slide the shade back and forth until it went all the way.

It's as if it were off track or something. Hopefully that's all there is to your situation?
I need to update, just got a 2003 E46 M3.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno nexus View Post
What happens to the sunshade if you try to open the moonroof?
Slides right in with the glass, but won't go in more than an inch when it's closed all the way.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #98
inferno nexus

Quote:
Slides right in with the glass, but won't go in more than an inch when it's closed all the way.
And the sunshade can't slide back when the moonroof is in the tilt position?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #99
golanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno nexus View Post
And the sunshade can't slide back when the moonroof is in the tilt position?
Nope
Old 01-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #100
Willie00328I

My Ride: 2000 328I sedan
My sunshade has always required a lot of force to open and close.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Willie00328I is offline   Reply With Quote