E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
snitzl3

My Ride: e60 LCI
Send a message via AIM to snitzl3
Thumbs Up P46 >TO> BI-XENON RETROFIT (Large Crappy iPhone Pics)

So i dove into my retrofit project this afternoon, I got one headlight in and everything looks good so far.

First the parts, I did some research and got the following off ebay:

Complete OEM bi-xenon kit
2x AL/Bosch bi-xenon projectors
2x AL/Bosch ballasts
2x D2S AL Ignitor
2x D2S Bulbs Phillips 85122
2x OEM Shrouds

2x OEM AL Headlight frame

Next the prep work, before i started the project i decided to paint the frame, leaving the high beam bowl chrome. I also painted the shrouds (forgot to take a pic of those separate)
Here's the results

OK, once thats all dry, move on to today where i started the actual project. Took out the drivers side P46 and started to examine how i would pull this off. First thing i noticed is the bottom of the P46 had holes to mount the OEM ballast!

However, once i started mounting everything i noticed a piece of the plastic was preventing the ballast from plugging into and screwing into the top wiring portion. Simple fix, took my trusty dremel tool and cut out about half an inch of that plastic piece. Awesome perfect oem fit for the ballast, were moving right along

Next, i gutted out the P46, following many different diy's here on the forums
Picture below shows a picture from a diy that i followed

I took note of problem areas. I noticed that there was no room for the ignitor in the headlight like oem headlights so I had to make a watertight box that i mounted under the P46 (don't have a picture of that, but its not too relevant). I also noticed that the wires that plug into the solenoid were hitting the circled section below preventing the entire assembly to go into the headlight. Once again, dremel to the rescue. Cut out the small section circled.

Once that section was cut out the entire guts install into the P46 just like normal . I was actually suprised at how easy the swap was. After that put the trim back in put the lense back in and then put everything back on the car! (i know the next pics suck for detail but better ones will come after i finish the other side.

Comparison, bixenon on the right, original p46 on the left. I never liked the integrated angel eyes and smaller projector lens of the P46. Bi-xenon side looks much nicer IMO.

As far as the actual bi-xenon function, that will be wired later once i get some relays together and get the car flashed. Also i tested the bi-xenon projectors last night before they were installed and i must say the quality over the aftermarket P46 projector is far superior. Stay tuned for more photos of the passenger side, new M-tec 6000k bulbs, and better high quality photoshoot of the finished project. Thanks for lookin, Q&C are welcome

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
P46 in my opinion looks nicer

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Dunbar

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6MT
So why didn't you install them into the AL housings?
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
snitzl3

cause: 1, AL bi-xenon housings have screw in facelift turns, which i dont have. 2 regular xenon headlights on ebay are usually about 2 to 300 per side then you usually have to get ballasts and ignitors and bulbs which equals expensive. This roughly cost me about 280 to 300 give or take.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
BakaN20

My Ride: 06 350z 03 325xi
Did you see how both lights look like when they are on? If you could, would you be able to take pictures of that? Thanks

Home - Fcuk Iraq - Done playing Soldier
06 350z - Nismo Exhaust/Dynotune Nitrous Wet Shot/NANO Kit/Motordyne 5/16th Spaver/mrev2/Other stuff
03 325xi - Monokuro Boo neck rest and seat belt pads, floor mats. ~Stock~
BakaN20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
snitzl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaN20 View Post
Did you see how both lights look like when they are on? If you could, would you be able to take pictures of that? Thanks
yep ill be doing that once i get the other one put in
Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
CoconutPete

My Ride: E90 330i
Looks great! I've always been a fan of the blacked out look in the headlights. I will be blacking out as much as I can when I crack mine open this weekend.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
Extra Credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3"
not "I'm looking for a M3".
-----------
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
Nice work man!
Mike@F1 Autohaüs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
snitzl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@F1 Autohaüs View Post
Nice work man!
6000k mtec bulbs soon, be on the look out for that order
Old 01-30-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
OEM FTW. Once you see the cutoff, spread, beam pattern vs the P46, it's night and day. One OEM headlight is better than a set of P46!
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #11
Phillips0417

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iacschnitzer View Post
P46 in my opinion looks nicer
You're crazy...this looks wayyy nicer.

FWIW, I went on eBay and bought a set of Bi-Xenon's from a rear ended M3 and only paid $400 for them, I wired up the bi-xenons and wow what a difference.
Phillips0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #12
snitzl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87 View Post
OEM FTW. Once you see the cutoff, spread, beam pattern vs the P46, it's night and day. One OEM headlight is better than a set of P46!
agreed, its raining here this weekend so i wont be able to do the other one, so im rolling one oem one p46 with 50 watt, what crazy is the oem side is about equal or better than the 50 watt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips0417 View Post
You're crazy...this looks wayyy nicer.
thinkin the same thing..
Old 01-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Past Site Sponsor

If you ever mess with your headlights again, you should go for some ZKW replica clear lenses. The cutoff will be even sharper
Old 01-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
snitzl3

Quote:
If you ever mess with your headlights again, you should go for some ZKW replica clear lenses. The cutoff will be even sharper
Funny you say that I've been looking into some. But I heard they don't fit perfect and some cutting is required. Do you what's all involved with the swap, and where to get some?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitzl3 View Post
Funny you say that I've been looking into some. But I heard they don't fit perfect and some cutting is required. Do you what's all involved with the swap, and where to get some?
You simply have to swap out the lens and file down on the existing nub. Some spacing might be required to focus the light. That's what sillie told me

I have some used ones available

Also, what kind of black spray paint did you use on your projectors?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #16
snitzl3

Quote:
You simply have to swap out the lens and file down on the existing nub. Some spacing might be required to focus the light. That's what sillie told me

I have some used ones available

Also, what kind of black spray paint did you use on your projectors?

Oh man, how much for the lenses? Condition? I used some high temp rustoleum, why?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #17
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitzl3 View Post
Oh man, how much for the lenses? Condition? I used some high temp rustoleum, why?
I will be taking mines apart soon. Want to change out too some new ballasts and black out my projectors as well

Lenses are in good condition. I'll hook you up with them
Old 01-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #18
snitzl3

Quote:
I will be taking mines apart soon. Want to change out too some new ballasts and black out my projectors as well

Lenses are in good condition. I'll hook you up with them
Oh ok yeah, I also got some high temp primer (autozone, walmart, etc.) cause that chrome is hard to get paint to stick, then hit it with high temp rustoleum. I used semi gloss but they have flat and gloss. Shoot me a pm about about those lenses. I wanna get em.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #19
Dunbar

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6MT
I have some mint OEM E46 ZKW lenses available too, PM if interested.
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #20
snitzl3

UPDATE: Just finished the passenger side this evening. Snapped another quick iphone pic of the cut off. Daytime shots and better night time shots with DSLR to come Also m-tec 6000k bulbs coming as well

Sooo much better than p46..

Tags
hid, oem, p46, retrofit, xenon