E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
eddiewolfgang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 266
My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Question Need tires for 18X9.5 and 18X8

If you have any suggestions, let me know whats the best tire size for these rims 18X9.5 5-120 45 and 18X8 5-120 45. I live in NY so please know that there are plenty of pot holes here, i need something that is more comfy and safer.
eddiewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
225/40R18 and 255/35R18 You might want to add 10mm spacers to the fronts.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #3
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,776
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
+1 spacers up front. 45 is hella tucked.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
eddiewolfgang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 266
My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
+1 spacers up front. 45 is hella tucked.
sorry guys i typed it wrong here the fronts are 18x80 5/120 +35 and the back are 18X9.5 5/120 +45 =D thank you
eddiewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,776
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
then you'll be fine, but id go 245, or 235 up front, and 255s in the back, less stagger, less understeer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #6
eddiewolfgang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 266
My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
then you'll be fine, but id go 245, or 235 up front, and 255s in the back, less stagger, less understeer.
thnx =D i guess i go with those then
eddiewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
ZZen330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,141
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I'd stick with 225 up front personally. That maintains the stock/OEM tire diameter.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,776
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
I'd stick with 225 up front personally. That maintains the stock/OEM tire diameter.
doesnt matter, the speed sensor is in the driver rear.
id rather have the speedo be off a tad and have more neutral handling.
im running 245/45 and 255/35 right now, no issues, no rub, and it def rides better than 225/40 too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
doesnt matter, the speed sensor is in the driver rear.
id rather have the speedo be off a tad and have more neutral handling.
im running 245/45 and 255/35 right now, no issues, no rub, and it def rides better than 225/40 too.
I think your numbers are off with regards to sidewall ratios.

There is a 0.24% difference in overall diameter between 225/40 and 255/35. BMW uses that setup on staggered wheels for a reason.

235/40 and 245/35 has a 2.56% difference in overall diameter. The rears are going to read too 2.68% too fast.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,776
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I think your numbers are off with regards to sidewall ratios.

There is a 0.24% difference in overall diameter between 225/40 and 255/35. BMW uses that setup on staggered wheels for a reason.

235/40 and 245/35 has a 2.56% difference in overall diameter. The rears are going to read too 2.68% too fast.
i never said they wouldnt be off, i just said im not concerned about it and its not much.
a 2% change in the wheel diameter is gonna throw the speedo off by what, 1 maybe 2 mph. that doesnt bother me. its already optimistic from the factory anyway
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
eddiewolfgang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 266
My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
then you'll be fine, but id go 245, or 235 up front, and 255s in the back, less stagger, less understeer.
i called up this tire place and the guy told me, he said i need 225 because that's whats recommend, he was telling me that's whats on the books. He also tells me that 330 and 325 needs different sizes . Is it true ?
eddiewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,776
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewolfgang View Post
i called up this tire place and the guy told me, he said i need 225 because that's whats recommend, he was telling me that's whats on the books. He also tells me that 330 and 325 needs different sizes . Is it true ?
no, theyre the same chassis.
as koolaid said, its whats recommended, when BMW went to 18s on the ZHP they went that way, but it doesnt mean it wont fit.
ive seen 255/35s on track cars, and after running a taller 245/45 up front im confident i could fit 255/35s up front too.
ive had tire vendors tell me a 10" wide rear wont fit a non M also. so really what do those guys know?

oh just noticed you said you have a 8" front

id try to get 235s for your 8" front. 245 may look a bit fat.
235s should fit the 8" perfectly
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?

Last edited by Snik; 01-30-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
eddiewolfgang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 266
My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
no, theyre the same chassis.
as koolaid said, its whats recommended, when BMW went to 18s on the ZHP they went that way, but it doesnt mean it wont fit.
ive seen 255/35s on track cars, and after running a taller 245/45 up front im confident i could fit 255/35s up front too.
ive had tire vendors tell me a 10" wide rear wont fit a non M also. so really what do those guys know?

oh just noticed you said you have a 8" front

id try to get 235s for your 8" front. 245 may look a bit fat.
235s should fit the 8" perfectly
thank you sinkwad. I really wish these people understood how bmw's work. It's very rare to find a place that knows almost everything about E46 and other bmw's.
eddiewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #14
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,776
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
i think if you had called tirerack youd have been better off, they may not tell you to go with a super aggressive setup, but they know their sh1t.

here is a 225/40 Michelin on a 8.5" wheel.



here is a 255/35 michelin on the same 8.5" rim



here is a 245/45 Bridgestone on the same wheel


and finally 255/35 bridgestones


if you want a lil stretch, then go 215, or 225, but with a 255 rear, understand the car will understeer more, you will notice this even on HWY ramps.
Yes your rim is 1/2" narrower, but as you can see, 20mm makes a big difference, this is why i say go 235 or 245s up front because when i did the difference was instant the 1st onramp i his, and i went from kumho 225/225 to michelin, 225/255 to bridgestone 225/255 then to 245.45/255, the 1st three setups felt the same, but the 245 made it neutral again. Plus its a lil more rim protection.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
eddiewolfgang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 266
My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
if you want a lil stretch, then go 215, or 225, but with a 255 rear, understand the car will understeer more, you will notice this even on HWY ramps.
Yes your rim is 1/2" narrower, but as you can see, 20mm makes a big difference, this is why i say go 235 or 245s up front because when i did the difference was instant the 1st onramp i his, and i went from kumho 225/225 to michelin, 225/255 to bridgestone 225/255 then to 245.45/255, the 1st three setups felt the same, but the 245 made it neutral again. Plus its a lil more rim protection.
Hmm, so I think I'm going front 245 and rear 255, snikwad your a genius if these fit perfectly on the rims I'm getting. Your set looks sweet. 18"s or 19"s?

Also I gotta ask the tire shop people to see if the set 245/255 fits perfect without rubbing or anything. Thnx alot snikwad =D
eddiewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:46 AM   #16
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,776
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewolfgang View Post
Hmm, so I think I'm going front 245 and rear 255, snikwad your a genius if these fit perfectly on the rims I'm getting. Your set looks sweet. 18"s or 19"s?

Also I gotta ask the tire shop people to see if the set 245/255 fits perfect without rubbing or anything. Thnx alot snikwad =D
thats a 254/45 on a 8.5" wide rim. your rims are 1/4" smaller, that 245 wont look square, it'll look jumbo jet like. i say go 235s man. if they still have a stretch, then go 245s next time, but id def try 235s 1st so you dont have sidewalls pass the wheel like an offroad tire.
im no genius either. but thanks.

id bet you wont rub with those offsets up front. again, my 18x8.5 pictured are ET38, so if you put a 10mm spacer up front on your 18x8, you'll have an effective offset of ET35, and that will look pretty much identical to mine with a 235/40 front wheel.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #17
ZZen330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,141
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
snik - your 245/45/18 on the front is WAY to tall for the sidewall.

OEM fit for the front would be 225/40/18, though many do 235/40/18 which works ok. Rear OEM fit is 255/35/18 though some put 245/35/18 to avoid rubbing when slammed.

I don't think anyone would ever advise a 245/45/18 as it's going wider AND a higher sidewall %. If you want a 245 it shoud probably be a 245/35/18, but others may want to jump in as well.

Eddie - put either a 225/40/18 (or 235/40/18 if you want) on front with a 255/35/18 on back. Penguin had it right.

Last edited by ZZen330; 01-31-2010 at 03:38 PM.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,776
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
I know its taller, its visibly taller but honestly, it rides better and I got them at a killer price. So really, I don't care, the speedo is read from the driver side rear wheel anyway.

I never recommended a 245/45, I just said 245, I should have clarified, that I was talking about a 245/40 for him initially. HOWEVER, I have changed that recommendation since seeing that he has a 8" wide front. And I did say 235/255 combo
I know what the oem setup is, but again, I ran this setup and found that it understeered too much for my liking, which is why I'm encouraging him to run a wider front tire.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #19
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Why do people bother buying staggered wheels if they're going to complain about the understeer

There is a lot of bad advice in this thread.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #20
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,776
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
Why do people bother buying staggered wheels if they're going to complain about the understeer

There is a lot of bad advice in this thread.
i got a deal on them, thats how i ended up running staggered, and as a plus the back end fills out better with the wider rubber.
Youre welcome to correct where you see errors.
Im merely relating my experience, if you have input, please share, we're all here to learn, not just BS in OT.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
18's, rims, tires

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use