E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
QA_guy

My Ride: 330XI
Resetting Tire pressure light:

Not sure if this is the right area to post this thread but I recently put my snow tires on my new (to me) 2003 BMW 330Xi and the tire pressure sensor went on. I understand this is common but I need to know how to reset the light. All the tires have been checked and have appropriate air pressure. Also I have looked on youtube and browsed the internet and for some reason haven't been able to find the correct way to do this to a 2003 330Xi.

I read somewhere that it involves turning the car on and then off and then holding the tire pressure button in some order. Please help, many thanks
QA_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
While the car is on press and hold the tps button until the red light goes off. I usually reset mine like this never double checked tho. Must be in the manual

///Motoluxe w/ Bimmer
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by QA_guy View Post
Not sure if this is the right area to post this thread but I recently put my snow tires on my new (to me) 2003 BMW 330Xi and the tire pressure sensor went on. I understand this is common but I need to know how to reset the light. All the tires have been checked and have appropriate air pressure. Also I have looked on youtube and browsed the internet and for some reason haven't been able to find the correct way to do this to a 2003 330Xi.

I read somewhere that it involves turning the car on and then off and then holding the tire pressure button in some order. Please help, many thanks
Did you swap over the TPMS sensors with the new tires? If you don't have the sensors installed, then the light will always be on. Otherwise, just hold down the tire reset button until the light turns yellow, drive for about a 1/4 mile and it should go away.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
QA_guy

Ahh I did not put the TPMS sensors on with the new tires, there lies the problem. First Bimmer and first car with TPMS. Is this something that I can do or does a shop need to do it? Also since they are on new snow tires and I will only have them on for 3-4 months is it a necessity. Many thanks guys, just trying to learn.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
You would have the take the tires off and remount them.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Bemwe_03i

lol you didnt, i thought u changed them over to the new wheels, or just swapped the tires. How did you think that was gonna work? If they are already on your car i would just drive if you can live with that red light being on...TPMS sensors go on the rims its part of the valve stem not on the tires but i got u
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
2003 has TPMS? My 2003 M3 didn't.
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
Bemwe_03i

Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
QA_guy

Thanks guys, just found out my 330Xi does not have the TPMS it uses an indirect tire pressure monitoring system and bases inflation against wheel speed. My 330 is a 2003 so it must be pre-TPMS. I also submitted this on reddit.com/r/bmw and a BMW technician set me straight with how to reset the sensor. Thanks again for your guy's help!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
there is a procedure on the reset on youtube. if you just press on the button for a few seconds, the light will go away also.
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote