E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
sonnyb

My Ride: BMW 330CI M Sport
Slight shudder under braking

I could do with some opinons on this please. I had not driven my car for about three weeks until this weekend, meaning it had stood throughout the cold weather. When I drove it for the first time the brake seemed to bind on the disc and there was initially quite a judder under braking. I went for a long-ish drive (20 miles) and it improved and smoothed out the vibration quite quickly, but there is still some slight shudder when I brake. Could the extreme cold have caused this? Could the discs be warped even though they were totally fine before? Can discs warp while stationary? Could it just be the pads needing replacing?
Opinions appreciated.
sonnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
M3_GTR

My Ride: hates driveways
I doubt it would be the pads, try and get your disks machined, its a cheap thing to do, and even if its not the culprit it helps your brake performance, is your wheel shaking while braking? If so i believe it would be your disks.

FOR SALE!
M3_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Before I'd buy anything, OP, I'd give your brakes a good using. First, I'd use them some more and check rotors for any visible rust...bet you still have some and that's all you're noticing. I mostly use threshold braking so go harder for less time and that's worked well for me.

Also, test for front bearing just to be safe...probably not that. Are you getting any vibration when moving?

If nothing from bearings, then search how to 'bed your pads' and try that.

Finally, significant cold temps may have caused pistons to bind so search how to take care of them.

At the point you have to grind down rotors to get some more miles out of them, get them measured for usable mileage left after getting ground down...might not be worth the expense. Also, make sure your calipers are aligned properly and tight.... If none of that works, then get new rotors and pads and get them hand tightened with torque wrench, not an air gun!

GL

HTH

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
kent330i

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to kent330i
Also check your Front control arm bushing; I got the same issue before now everything good after I replace them.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
matt330coupe

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
you could have warped your rotors depending how hard you brake normally. my mom actually did this to her caddy sts
matt330coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
roy compton

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Send a message via Skype™ to roy compton
all on target. quick fix ! hold brake pedal down gently whilest driving on 100 mtrs .
roy compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
You might have a sticky front brake caliper. If your steering wheel is shaking, pull over and check each front wheel for excessive heat. Put your hand near, but do not touch the wheel as it will be really hot. You may also notice the wheel with the sticky caliper will be dirtier with brake dust than the good one. The calipers can get sticky when not used in a few weeks especially if parked when wet or in a humid environment.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
sonnyb

My Ride: BMW 330CI M Sport
Thanks for all your help and replies so far guys.
The wheel does not shake under braking, all I can sense is a slight shudder from the brake pedal, but only when braking from above say, 30mph.
I should probably do as suggested and drive/brake some more, but at this time of the year I only use the car very occasionally so it does stand a lot through winter.
The car itself has only covered 35,000, and I am not a hard braker.
sonnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
sharp330Ci

My Ride: E46 M3
I have the same problem as the OP - I had vibration after leaving it parked during the melting/freezing time of winter, and subsequently had the control arm bushings replaced (didn't fix it) and the rotors replaced (fixed it). 1 year later (a month ago) - I am have that problem again - the dealer wouldn't replace them under warrantee as they have uneven deposits...

Did the 60-5 mph (bedding) breaking procedure work to eliminate your vibration? I am wondering what is the best way to work off the deposits... I've seen recommendations for "bedding" and for to just apply them lightly for a while at high speeds...

Any insight would be appreciated!
sharp330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Before I'd buy anything, OP, I'd give your brakes a good using. First, I'd use them some more and check rotors for any visible rust...bet you still have some and that's all you're noticing. I mostly use threshold braking so go harder for less time and that's worked well for me.

Also, test for front bearing just to be safe...probably not that. Are you getting any vibration when moving?

If nothing from bearings, then search how to 'bed your pads' and try that.

Finally, significant cold temps may have caused pistons to bind so search how to take care of them.

At the point you have to grind down rotors to get some more miles out of them, get them measured for usable mileage left after getting ground down...might not be worth the expense. Also, make sure your calipers are aligned properly and tight.... If none of that works, then get new rotors and pads and get them hand tightened with torque wrench, not an air gun!

GL

HTH

Doug
this.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp330Ci View Post
I have the same problem as the OP - I had vibration after leaving it parked during the melting/freezing time of winter, and subsequently had the control arm bushings replaced (didn't fix it) and the rotors replaced (fixed it). 1 year later (a month ago) - I am have that problem again - the dealer wouldn't replace them under warrantee as they have uneven deposits...

Did the 60-5 mph (bedding) breaking procedure work to eliminate your vibration? I am wondering what is the best way to work off the deposits... I've seen recommendations for "bedding" and for to just apply them lightly for a while at high speeds...

Any insight would be appreciated!
Another thing that probably won't help is to remove your wheels and tighten them up properly...I went through 3 sets of rotors in a year with my '92 E36...all under warranty! I have strong beliefs it's some combination of air gun pressure, corrosion inside wheel not removed...or something causing excessive binding on one side of rotor more than the other...I'm thinking guide pins might do with a cleaning/lubrication. I thought my calipers were due for a rebuild, but they're fine...and I'm sure they're original and they're at 200K...seals going on soon probably!

Also, I read a long time ago that threshold braking is best to use...gives rotors the most time to cool off...so I usually stab pretty late and 'hardish'...of course, doing so well behind other cars so they don't freak.
I don't believe all I've read, but I've driven like this for years with no issues.

Bedding...or maybe just 'waiting' through this period might help...but you certainly would speed it up by being harder on your brakes...and read up on bedding well...coz you have to brake hard from 60 a few times...and then drive on without brakes to let them cool properly...read up on the details...

You might also be feeling some wobbling from pads having shimmied a bit on the rotor like I know mine did...and were catching the lip of rotor. I miked them and they're fine...so that eventually wore away...maybe in a month.

Okay...full disclosure, I'm not a mechanic but have done what I've said.
I'd wait on confirmation from someone who knows what they're talking about...also, more info the better you know...but don't forget the basics too...rinse off brakes really well when cool...check torque on lugnuts...look at and measure rotors/pads (oh, sorry, all newish!)

Try bedding...if no, try lubricating guide pins and using brake cleaner all around...like around piston too if you're not removing them.

You test to see if something is binding? 20 mins. at high speed without using brakes...maybe 10 would do it...pull over without using brakes much, then stick fingers on rotor...count how long you can hold without burning. You can touch the inside disk from the top of rotor. If one side a lot hotter than the other...sticking issue...or, like with me, just a little more heat coz of rubbing on the lip.

Oh, btw, the caliper mounting bracket is held on by two 1/2" bolts (maybe 10 mm) torqued to 80 lb-ft in the front. You shouldn't be nice to them...use them hard, get them bedded and rust free!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote