E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
///Flash
Banned

My Ride: a donkey
Starter Install help

Hello,

I am having a hard time mounting my starter back into the tranny. The two
E12 bolts line up but the alignment pin (center pin/stud) is preventing the starter from sitting flush on the tranny.

No matter how hard to try to push, wiggle, or even tighten the E12 bolts, I can only get the starter halfway through the alignment pin.

Help anyone?
///Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
grant01

My Ride: 1987 325i w/ m50
if you can get the bolts started, you should be ok, big thing when doing it, is to tighten them evenly

say you, tighten the lower one 5 turns, tighten the upper one five turns. this should greatly help get it to slide over the alignment pin as smoothly as possible
grant01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
///Flash
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant01 View Post
if you can get the bolts started, you should be ok, big thing when doing it, is to tighten them evenly

say you, tighten the lower one 5 turns, tighten the upper one five turns. this should greatly help get it to slide over the alignment pin as smoothly as possible
Thanks for the advice. my E12 bolts are started. I tighten them evenly but it seems like the alignment pin is not going into the starter.

To the best of my knowledge the pin seems to be straight. it is not bent or warp or anything.

New Question: Does the alignment pin must be flush with the starter before tighten the E12 bolts?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
grant01

as long as it close, you should be able to tighten it enough where it will just force its way into place
Old 01-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
///Flash
Banned

Here is a pix:

Old 01-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
grant01

from what it looks like you have it pretty tight anyway. my next suggestion would be to take a long extension or screwdriver or something and put it on the edge where the pin is, and tap it with a hammer

Last edited by grant01; 01-31-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
newtuner

My Ride: '04 330CI, M package
Are you sure you have the right Starter for your car? I had troubles as well with mine, but I made sure it was within 1/8" before tightening the bolts. Try not to force it or you could strip one of the bolts. Try taking it out again and reinstalling it, also make sure none of the wires are in the way.
newtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
///Flash
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtuner View Post
Are you sure you have the right Starter for your car? I had troubles as well with mine, but I made sure it was within 1/8" before tightening the bolts. Try not to force it or you could strip one of the bolts. Try taking it out again and reinstalling it, also make sure none of the wires are in the way.
It is the same exact starter. I replaced my transmission. everything is done execpt for the damn starter!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #9
altink

My Ride: 99 328i
Just thinkin here, its the same starter but the tranny is it the same? maybe a different year tranny and the hole may be on a different location, just wonderin. GL
03 Tahoe LT
01 GSXR 1000

Life is promised to no one so live it best you can.
altink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Flash View Post
It is the same exact starter. I replaced my transmission. everything is done execpt for the damn starter!
Just a tip for next time(if there will be one) the starter does not need to come loose to remove the tranny(or atleast thats what i've read , i removed the starter when i did my flywheel so i wouldnt know ^^)

If you can reach down there id go at the pin with a piece of 1800 grit sandpaper and remove some of that erosion , it could help
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
///Flash
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Just a tip for next time(if there will be one) the starter does not need to come loose to remove the tranny(or atleast thats what i've read , i removed the starter when i did my flywheel so i wouldnt know ^^)

If you can reach down there id go at the pin with a piece of 1800 grit sandpaper and remove some of that erosion , it could help
Thanks for the advice. I am going to sand/grind on the alignment pin and try my best to clean the starter's center hole. When I removed my tranny, the starter's alignment pin was pretty much seized into the starter. We had a difficult time pulling the starter away from the tranny.

in order to remove the tranny, you need to unbolt the starter bolts.
There are two E12 bolts that secure the tranny to the starter. The alignment pin also "connect" the starter to the tranny.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #12
///Flash
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant01 View Post
from what it looks like you have it pretty tight anyway. my next suggestion would be to take a long extension or screwdriver or something and put it on the edge where the pin is, and tap it with a hammer
Thanks. I will tap the starter in. the only problem is that the space that is available to work around the starter is tighter than a virgin's you know what.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
grant01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Flash View Post
Thanks. I will tap the starter in. the only problem is that the space that is available to work around the starter is tighter than a virgin's you know what.
yeah i realize that, that why i say use a long extension or screwdriver, so you can get nearer the front of the motor where you atleast have SOME room
Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
///Flash
Banned

bump
Old 02-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
newtuner

I would make sure there isn't something in behind the starter that you might not see that is getting in the way. I had to pull on the large red wire that goes up to the jump point on the top of the engine. There should be some slack that might help you position that better. Have you stuck your hand in the hole to make sure there isn't something in the way? Where is the pinion gear on the Starter? If it's not up against the body of the Starter there could be something wrong. Some of this could sound silly, but most times it's something simple that is causing the problem. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #16
vtechthis

My Ride: 02' 330CI
Hammer the pin out and throw it away, you dont need it. The pin is not a necessary component and can be thrown away. It is only meant to aid in lining up the starter but the two bolts do a suffucient job at that and obviously the pin isn's aiding you.
vtechthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #17
newtuner

the whole point of the pin is to make sure the Starter is lined up 100%. Other wise the pinion gear might come out at an angle. This could cause fly wheel damage or misalignment. I'm not a mechanic, but I wouldn't take the pin off. Good luck getting in there to cut it off. lol
Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #18
///Flash
Banned

still no luck. I grind down the rust on the alignment pin but that still didn't do anything

Do you guys think the reason why the starter won't sit flush is because the starter is not seated properly on the bottom groove?

the picture below is not mine. it was taken by an e46fanatics member

Old 02-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #19
///Flash
Banned

bump
Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
///Flash
Banned