E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Computer Upgrade

Hello. I've heard of Dinan software to upgrade the E46 computer program to create more HP and torque. Is this a reality or just a waste of money? I have a 01 330xi and am looking for a little more HP without going to headers. Thanks, Chas.
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
woopaul5

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to woopaul5
Well it's a yes and no. you will get a little HP with intake. The software is more than just that. Up's the rev limiter, takes away the high speed limiter, smooths your torque curve. I'd say get headers and then get software
woopaul5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
nightdagger

My Ride: 2004 TiAg 325Ci 5MT
I would personally take a Shark Injector over the Dinan software for the 7000 rpm rev limit (as opposed to 6800 on the Dinan)
Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
BMW has done a good job tuning our engines; not a whole lot you can do to improve it without spending significant cash. You can easily throw alot of money in mods (CAI, under drive pullies, software, etc) for just a few HP gain. You won't realize significant gains unless you install cams or a forced induction unit.

Yes, you'll hear alot of testimonials about how someone "felt" an improvement on their "butt dyno" after installing the latest bolt on. What kid wouldn't feel an improvement after they spent $350? It may sound or feel different, or changed the power range, but it probably didn't increase HP or TQ. By the way, you'll learn a lot more if you use the "Search" feature above.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
BMW has done a good job tuning our engines; not a whole lot you can do to improve it without spending significant cash. You can easily throw alot of money in mods (CAI, under drive pullies, software, etc) for just a few HP gain. You won't realize significant gains unless you install cams or a forced induction unit.

Yes, you'll hear alot of testimonials about how someone "felt" an improvement on their "butt dyno" after installing the latest bolt on. What kid wouldn't feel an improvement after they spent $350? It may sound or feel different, or changed the power range, but it probably didn't increase HP or TQ. By the way, you'll learn a lot more if you use the "Search" feature above.
You might want to reconsider your VERY miss informed statement on NA bolt on gains.
Take a look at my Dyno video in my signature, I made 35WHP & 20WTQ, WITHOUT
CAMS. Since then I've installed cams, & besides the 10 or 12WHP i picked up at peak
RPM, i now have an additional 20 / 25WHP between 6500 & 7000 RPM, where the stock
cams were falling off quick. In the end, my original 35whp & 20wtq are impressive numbers
for bolt on gains, i would recommend this to anyone not wanting to go with forced induction.

OP, do your software upgrade, but also do a intake & exhaust to take full advantage of it.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 02-08-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Justin@SharkInjectorDirect
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Many Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightdagger View Post
I would personally take a Shark Injector over the Dinan software for the 7000 rpm rev limit (as opposed to 6800 on the Dinan)
Another plug for the Shark Injector...

You can do it yourself. No dealer visits, no sending off your computer trusting someone else to do it right.
Justin@SharkInjectorDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
lkstaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
You might want to reconsider your VERY miss informed statement on NA bolt on gains.
Take a look at my Dyno video in my signature, I made 35WHP & 20WTQ, WITHOUT
CAMS.
O.K., ran your video. The only thing I saw was a BMW on a dyno. How about before and after dyno sheets?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
O.K., ran your video. The only thing I saw was a BMW on a dyno. How about before and after dyno sheets?
Your a funny guy.........Next you'll want to see a receipt for my Bilstein Sports and H&R
Race springs.

Oh ya, & when you go to the Washington D.C. region SCCA website and see my Lap Records for ITR & STU, i suppose that's a scam to.

http://www.wdcr-scca.org/ClubRacing/...9/Default.aspx

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
lkstaack

Quote:
Your a funny guy.........Next you'll want to see a receipt for my Bilstein Sports and H&R
Race springs.
Nope. I'm not disputing that you have spent alot of money on mods, you have the fastest car on the East Coast, or even that you are God's gift to drivers. I'm not even disputing that bolt on mods increased HP on your car. However, I am very skeptical that bolt on mods increased HP by 35 and TQ by 20.

I normally wouldn't respond to posters who claim a HP increase. Like I mentioned earlier, it's in the human pscyhe to feel performance after spending hundreds of dollars. However, you claimed to offer "proof" of your increase via a video. I mearly pointed out that your video doesn't constitute proof.

If you visit sites that are dedicated to increasing HP, sites like E46Fs Forced Induction site, you'll note that most who claim HP increases will back it up with a before mod dyno and an after mod dyno. These dyno sheets will indicate the same dyno and roughly the same temperture and humidity. Even then there will be variations of 2-5%, but it does offer a measure that can be replicated by others.

I don't mind that you claim a 35 HP increase with bolt on mods. Heck, it might even be true. But you can't prove it.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

First, i think your a real TOOL. Do you really think with all the Racing i do, I'm not on the
dyno constantly? I test everything i do on a Dynodynamics Dyno, if i change something i
dyno it to see if i gained or lost HP. This goes for my street car to. You keep talking about PROOF,
i have nothing to prove to you, your just some RANDOM guy on E46F that doesn't
know what they're talking about. What I've done is nothing special, there are quite a few 330 owners that have used almost the exact same bolt on parts i bought & got about the same results. The truth is my TQ number is actually much higher at about 30WTQ, but it's in a part of the curve that i personally don't count, before the crossover. The base line runs on my car were done on 8/24/09, 165whp & 183wtq. The final dyno pulls were done on 12/21/09 & resulted in 200whp & 203wqt, but like i said, i could easily say that i made 30wtq at 3400rpm, but it's before the crossover & I'm not counting it. If all this were done on a Dynojet
Dyno, my numbers would be about 10% higher,(220 ish whp) because Dynodynamics Dyno's are very conservative. And remember this is all BEFORE my Schrick Cams. So you need to watch what you say & whom you say it to. And last, you should apologize to the OP for HIJACKING his tread on "Computer Upgrade" with your B.S. !

Have a nice day,...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page0003.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	348073   Click image for larger version

Name:	page0004.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	348074  

Quote:

Last edited by Rob43; 02-10-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
HEY!

Keep the noise down in here, we're trying to sleep over in the Motorsports and Track Forum.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #12
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
HEY!

Keep the noise down in here, we're trying to sleep over in the Motorsports and Track Forum.
Sorry Adam,..........Great respect for you.

Quote:
Old 02-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #13
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Sorry Adam,..........Great respect for you.

I was joking.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #14
Michel

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
First, i think your a real TOOL. Do you really think with all the Racing i do, I'm not on the
dyno constantly? I test everything i do on a Dynodynamics Dyno, if i change something i
dyno it to see if i gained or lost HP. This goes for my street car to. You keep talking about PROOF,
i have nothing to prove to you, your just some RANDOM guy on E46F that doesn't
know what they're talking about. What I've done is nothing special, there are quite a few 330 owners that have used almost the exact same bolt on parts i bought & got about the same results. The truth is my TQ number is actually much higher at about 30WTQ, but it's in a part of the curve that i personally don't count, before the crossover. The base line runs on my car were done on 8/24/09, 165whp & 183wtq. The final dyno pulls were done on 12/21/09 & resulted in 200whp & 203wqt, but like i said, i could easily say that i made 30wtq at 3400rpm, but it's before the crossover & I'm not counting it. If all this were done on a Dynojet
Dyno, my numbers would be about 10% higher,(220 ish whp) because Dynodynamics Dyno's are very conservative. And remember this is all BEFORE my Schrick Cams. So you need to watch what you say & whom you say it to. And last, you should apologize to the OP for HIJACKING his tread on "Computer Upgrade" with your B.S. !

Have a nice day,...

I believe this; I got my 330ci dyno'ed on a Dynodynamics last summer and pulled 186whp (couldn't get tq #'s unfortunately...) My mods include dinan stage II software, dinan intake and eisenmann catback... please note that Dinan software is quite conservative too!

Rob, what were the 'bolt ons' you had in your 200whp dyno run? As you know I ordered the cams just yesterday from VAC, and I've got headers sitting at home. I've also got an AA tune lined up to compliment all the mods. I'm hoping for 200+whp on the dynodynamics when i go back this summer. What do you think?

edit: also I've read in many places that the difference between dynodynamics and dynojet differs from 15%-20% in some cases!

Last edited by Michel; 02-10-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
JimmyOberg

My Ride: BMW 330Ci 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel;11303874
edit:9
also I've read in many places that the difference between dynodynamics and dynojet differs from 15%-20% in some cases!
Sorry for hijacking this thread even further, but...

I made a post in another thread just about this. I cant find any reason for comparing low hp engines like these in different dynos.. Even the same dyno can show a +/- 5-10% difference on the same engine but under different circumstances.

711 RWHP or 737 RWHP.. Who cares? There is ALOT of power... But..

211 RWHP or 237 RWHP.. This is a HUGE difference. What kind of dyno are used? Dyno accelration speed? Tempereture? Fuel?

There is a shop called "XX" Motors here in Sweden.. Everyone leaves their dyno with a big smile on their face.. Alltough everyone knows their dyno shows about 30% more than most of the others. Maybe I should go there? My stock 330 might give about 240 RWHP?!

I hope you see my point here.

Last edited by JimmyOberg; 02-10-2010 at 12:00 PM.
JimmyOberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
Michel

My Ride: 330ci
^I know what you're saying; its just that in north america most people will use a dynotjet - so when someone says they've got 220whp, the next post will always be "on a dynojet?"

Seeing that Rob is using the same dyno I used (which is more of a 'rare' type i guess) it's nice to compare what numbers a 330 will get on it (basically widening my sample set), since the rest of the people are using dynojet... and GENERALLY speaking, I've read that a dynodynamics will read 15%-20% lower than dynojet. This was comparing an STI and e46M3 on both dynos. (so not 100000hp cars)

anyway, to the OP, I'll be getting my AA tune in a couple of months to go wtih all the mods, only then can I comment on 'software upgrades'
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
I believe this..............
Rob, what were the 'bolt ons' you had in your 200whp dyno run?
1) Ebay Header-wrapped
2) Magnaflow Cat Back #16533
3) K&N CAI
4) Shark Injector
5) VDP Power Pulleys
6) UUC Stage 2 Clutch & Flywheel
7) NGK BKR7EIX, one step colder plugs
8) Bosch O2 Sensors
9) Redline Trans Fluid cocktail per UUC
10) Mobil 1, 0-40
11) Quaife LSD, w/ 3.15

Quote:
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Rob forgot to add a shitload of cowbell.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

I love cowbell, It's the best !!!

Quote: