E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
Mman004

My Ride: 2000 E46
Front OEM PDC enabled IBUS experts please help!!!

I have been able to retrofit front and rear PDC on my 2000 323CI. This is my first DIY and it will be in parts as I am a very busy person. I want to give back to this community as I have learned so much from you guys (DelMarco, Ivegotissues666..and others). I have been able to use F10 sensors in the front (can use any of the later model bmw sensors for both front and rear doesn't matter as long as you have the right connector) and e39 sensors in the rear. I have been able to purchase a dynavin D99+ (Thanks Jeff cool guy and a true committed member). The displays shows in the front and rear but only when car is in reverse! when in drive the front sensors will sound but no display. This is where the ibus experts can help. The canbus box that comes with the D99+ has to be written as to show the PDC screen when in drive and the PDC is activated. I know it can be done because it works that way for the dynavin e60 please refer to the link at 1:14. I don't know how to do that(way beyond Jeff's or my league). If you experts are out there please help us!!!!

Now On to the DIY
Items needed:
PDC module (3 port module shown in pic)
2x rear pdc harnesses
Front PDC speaker/Gong
Rear PDC trigger Contact
PDC Button or panel with PDC Switch
8x PDC sensors (use the updated sensors if you like)
8x PDC mounts (depends on PDC sensor chosen)
2x universal 12-pol connectors (shown in Pic)
3-pol connector to connect to front pdc gong/speaker
2-pol connector to connect to rear pdc trigger contact
6-pol connector to connect to PDC Switch (if you have the individual row switch)
Extra Wire
PA Soft/NcsExpert for programming (Mines worked without it)

Optional:4-8 PDC sensor connectors--refer to the fourth pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pdc module.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	523532   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdc 12pol.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	523533   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	523564   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw pdc connector 1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	523565  

Last edited by Mman004; 10-21-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Mman004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Mman004

There will be a total of 3 harnesses. This car will be wired up similarly to the bmw 5 series, but will differ at the power supply harness!!
Rear Harness
Front Harness
Power Supply harness (hard to find):

First dissassemble the rear seat, the side panel trim, glove box along with steering wheel column under panel for fitment of gong, passenger seat, and center console. Don't forget to disconnect the battery!!
We will be starting with the Power supply harness
Take the 12 Pol universal connector as shown and wire in to the car as follows:
12-pol connector--> Car
1--> slot 24 of fuse box
12--> connects into the blue yellow wire (reverse wire)- these can all be found in the box above the fuse location
4--> red/yellow/white wire(kbus)
6--> brown/black wire(ground)
If you want rear pdc only!!!
8--> 4position of the gong
If you want front and rear PDC
8--> 1 of 2-pol connector-connects to trigger contact
2--> 2 of 2-pol connector-connects to trigger contact
9--> 4 position of the gong
If you have a panel with pdc switch in it
7--> 8 pos in back of wiring harness to panel
10--> 9 pos in back of wiring harness to panel
If you have individual row pdc switch ( I had this)
7--> 4 of 6-pol connector of pdc switch
10--> 6 of 6-pol connector of pdc switch
Tap the grey/red wire of car to no. 2 of the 6-pol connector of pdc switch (switch illumination)
Tap brown/black wire of car to no. 5 of the 6-pol connector of pdc switch (switch illumination)

Gong Wiring
gong pos 3 of 3-pol connector--> tap into red/yellow wire
gong pos 1 of 3-pol connector--> tap into brown wire

Once you are done here stick the 5amp flatbed fuse in place and you are pretty much done here both gong and trigger contact should be wired and now its off to work on the front harness. Don't worry you don't have to take apart your car like I did, I was doing some interior reconditioning and decided to do this and a couple of other retrofits!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image (1).jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	523556   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	523557   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	523558   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (4).jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	523559  

Name:	image (5).jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	523560   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (6).jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	523561   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (7).jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	523562   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	117
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	523563  

Last edited by Mman004; 08-25-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
Mman004

Rear Harness
Rear harness can also be connected and rear sensors placed. The rear sensors will have the white connector as shown in the pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image (2).jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	523554  

Last edited by Mman004; 08-25-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Mman004

Front harness
This is easy except for the end. This will depend on the sensors you want for the front. For my car I used the connector for the e70 (x5) alonf with the sensors made for the F series bmw. If you plan to use e46 sensors get the 90 degree angled sensors for fitment in the front as shown in the pic. We will be using the extra rear harness and cutting it in the middle to extend it to reach the front of the car. Make sure to pull off the white 12-pol connector cap and put the blue universal cap on. This blue cap will connect to the blue port of pdc module and run under the carpet along the passenger door sill. Pass it through the firewall rubber boot( it should have an extra opening for it. Run it along the passenger side with the other wires in the engine bay. And up to the front bumper.

DIY-still in progress....feel free to update this thread after I post all the info

Last edited by Mman004; 08-28-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Mman004

Connectors for Front
Old 10-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
tstaroveski

My Ride: 2002 BMW 318D E46
Wow, this is excellent work!
Can you please specify which PDC module have you used (P/N)?
Also, could you please specify where to get the universal 12-pol connectors?

Best regards
tstaroveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Mman004

Sorry for the late response...

The PDC module is the ones used on the 5 and 7 series. the part number: 66.21-6 916-406. You can find these on ebay from $15-$50. Make sure it has 3 ports on it as opposed to 2.

As far as the connector goes that can be found at the dealer or ecs tuning. I don't remember the P/N off hand but shoot me a pm and I can try to locate it for you when I have some time on my hands.

Any questions let me know and I will get back to you. If you get a handle on the ibus configuration I was asking about please share the info on this thread
Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
tstaroveski

Hello an thank you for your response.

Regarding the i-bus, I had started a similar thread on this link some time ago: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1007395, but did not receive any response yet. Perhaps the links provided in the post will be of some help. If anything comes up, I will do my best to report any interesting findings.

Is your instrument cluster "aware" of the new PDC, or is it only supported by the Dynavin unit?

Best regards
Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Mman004

To be honest I'm not sure. But it is linked into the kbus and the cluster is linked into the same wiring system when I made a mistake in disconnecting the wiring from my cluster the pdc and the air conditioning stopped working. So I want to say yes. Also I didn't program the pdc into the car yet it just started working right away. Any advancement made please feel free to post on this thread
Old 10-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
tstaroveski

Thank you for your reply.
I am no expert in the E46 bus systems, but in my understanding, this is not the matter of the canbus box as it clearly feeds the data correctly. It rather seems you would need to ask someone from Dynavin to tweak it's software to enable this feature.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #11
Mman004

I also read your post. The pdc module from the x5 can be used. Also the power supply harness can't be bought to my knowledge. It has to be made. Follow my post it is very easy as long as you know how to solder wires together. Also forgot to mention....with pa soft I was able to make adjustments for both the front and rear sensors and change which gong I wanted to use for the rear or front sensors. So as long as the cluster can read the rear sensors it should read the front when installed. I didn't know the cluster had this setting but I think it looks sweet on the dynavin system!!

Last edited by Mman004; 10-18-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
tstaroveski

Thank you very much for this info. I will try to get the E53 (x5) PDC controller and install it.
First I will try to install the rear harness only, and than the front one. Hopefully the PDC will not report any problems if the front section is missing.
I will also place the link from my previous thread (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1007395) to this one.

Best regards
Old 10-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #13
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
realoem shows that only the rear PDC came standard on your car. if you were to integrate the front PDC to your car, it would require a more updated, at least one that came with a car equipped with front PDC instrument cluster. going that route will only increase more complexity and cost although I'm sure it can be done if you have the money
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Mman004

Even if the front is not connected it will still work. However you may have to use pa soft to let the module know that you will not be using the front sensors. Any problems let me know and I'll walk you through

Last edited by Mman004; 10-19-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
tstaroveski

Thank you for your reply NumbaOneNewb,

I have also been browsing the realoem.com, and the results filtered for my car show that the "Retrofit kit PDC II", which has a front PDC, should be compatible (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...10&hg=66&fg=95). Furthermore, there is a NCS expert dump for E46 on this site: http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forum...2-E46-318i-CKD , showing the E53 PDC in parameter list. Therefore, I hope there is the chance that, with PA soft or NCS expert, the instrument cluster could be coded to support both front and rear PDC. After all, Mman004 did it.

Any further comments are more than welcome.

Best regards
Old 10-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
tstaroveski

The basic bus systems connection diagram for the E46 can be found on this page ("2 Driver Information Internet-1.pdf")
http://www.bmwtech.ru/pdf/e46/ST034/...Internet-1.pdf

The architecture of the bus systems in E46 is still a bit unclear to me, so please fogive me if I ask a few noob questions:

1. Diagrams on the pages 3-4 show that the radio, PDC, MFL and many other modules communicate via the K-Bus (which is to my knowledge a single 12V wire bus, phisically same as the I-Bus). So is the canbox that feeds the data to the Dynavin headunit used to convert K-Bus data into CAN packages, or is it used to tap the CAN signal comming from the instrument cluster and convert it to RS232?

The other questions are related to the car side of the power supply wire loom which Mman004 had assembled.

2. On the last picture you posted (photo (1).JPG), at least two busbars are visible. Could you possibly remember for which contacts were the busbar connections avaliable (I presume the busbar is avaliable for the kbus, reverse and ground)?

3. For pins 8 and 2 (front and rear PDC) you mentioned "2-pol connector" and "trigger contact". You also mentioned tapping the grey/red and brown/black wires for the PDC switch illumination (I also have the individual row and am planning to get the PDC switch on the eBay). Is the location of the 2-pol connector as well as the grey/red and brown/black wires also near the fuse box?

4. Finally, did you have to get some sort of crimping tool for the PDC side connector contacts?

Thank you both for your time and effort.
Best regards
Old 10-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
Mman004

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstaroveski View Post
The basic bus systems connection diagram for the E46 can be found on this page ("2 Driver Information Internet-1.pdf")
http://www.bmwtech.ru/pdf/e46/ST034/...Internet-1.pdf

The architecture of the bus systems in E46 is still a bit unclear to me, so please fogive me if I ask a few noob questions:

1. Diagrams on the pages 3-4 show that the radio, PDC, MFL and many other modules communicate via the K-Bus (which is to my knowledge a single 12V wire bus, phisically same as the I-Bus). So is the canbox that feeds the data to the Dynavin headunit used to convert K-Bus data into CAN packages, or is it used to tap the CAN signal comming from the instrument cluster and convert it to RS232?

The other questions are related to the car side of the power supply wire loom which Mman004 had assembled.

2. On the last picture you posted (photo (1).JPG), at least two busbars are visible. Could you possibly remember for which contacts were the busbar connections avaliable (I presume the busbar is avaliable for the kbus, reverse and ground)?

3. For pins 8 and 2 (front and rear PDC) you mentioned "2-pol connector" and "trigger contact". You also mentioned tapping the grey/red and brown/black wires for the PDC switch illumination (I also have the individual row and am planning to get the PDC switch on the eBay). Is the location of the 2-pol connector as well as the grey/red and brown/black wires also near the fuse box?

4. Finally, did you have to get some sort of crimping tool for the PDC side connector contacts?

Thank you both for your time and effort.
Best regards
2) There is different busbars for each function. The red/white/yellow-Kbus
blue/yellow-reverse, brown/black-ground

3) the 2-pol socket is different from the switch socket. The 2-pol is for the trigger contact (rear gong) that is totally separate. So from the pdc side a wire from pol 8 and pol 2 (power supply harness) will be connecting directly to the trigger contact. For the pdc switch this will require a 6-pol connector. 2 wires coming from the pdc will connect to it, and 2 wires from the car (illumination) will connect to it. These wires can be found by the console (grey/red and brown/black). I just spliced it from wires that were illuminating the other switches. You do not need to go to fuse box for those wires.

4) Yes you will need to buy a crimping tool. I had to use it for the front sensors though. I was able to buy the main harness on ebay from somebody however it was cut really bad so I just extended the wires. The end pieces are on reaoloem in picture 1. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=61&fg=15
If you buy from ecstuning it comes pre-crimped with a wire already attached, and you will not need to buy the crimping tool. However it is good to keep the tool handy. It was my first venture so I got one, and found out late about ecs tuning.com

Last edited by Mman004; 10-21-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
Mman004

I just realized that I forgot to mention the 6-pol connector switch....thanks for pointing that out! It was edited. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...80&hg=61&fg=15

It is number 8 in the diagram and is the 6-pol

Last edited by Mman004; 10-21-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #19
tstaroveski

OK, many thanks for all your help.
Best regards
Old 11-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #20
akraf

My Ride: BMW 330d
Hi,

I own BMW 330d e46 and im going to retrofit rear pdc only! But i have few question to you about you guide.

One thing that i've noticed is that on the fuse holder i should connect green/white cable to fuse 24, where does the other end go from the fuse? i cant see any wiring there?

And on the Gong the 3-pin connector you said tap into red/yellow cable what do you mean by that? should i just splice it in another red/yellow, same with pin1 the brown?

Thanks for great guide by the way!

// Samir
akraf is offline   Reply With Quote