E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
jupiterntune

My Ride: Los Angeles
DIY for power steering reservoir hoses?

Hate to start a thread on this, but since I've encountered difficulties generating DIY's on the power steering hoses, could someone post any links that they know of? Thanks

Also the part numbers for the hoses on real oem gives a different result when entered directly to the search bar on autohauz vs navigating through Car System
jupiterntune is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:28 AM   #2
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
they are extremely easy to change. probably the easiest on the car rivaled by the coolant hoses. i strongly recommend you get the bmw special tool for the quick disconnect. it's red.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:49 AM   #3
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
they are extremely easy to change. probably the easiest on the car rivaled by the coolant hoses. i strongly recommend you get the bmw special tool for the quick disconnect. it's red.
+1, except that my tool for the quick connect fittings is blue
OP, you just need to order the right parts. Your car may be equipped with either LF20 or LF30 power steering pump, and they use different high pressure hoses. You have to make sure which one to order.
The rest is just removing and installing hoses and PS reservoir. Bleeding the system is also extremely easy - just turn the steering wheel lock to lock while the engine idles and the air will escape through the power steering reservoir. The fluid is D4 ATF.
In addition to the special tool recommended by peytonracer4, you may want to order some adjustable hose clamps instead of the stock clamps.

These clamps worked for me:
Hose clamp L12-15, 07129952104
Hose clamp L16-30, 64218367179

Last edited by Megalocnus; 05-24-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #4
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
+1, except that my tool for the quick connect fittings is blue
OP, you just need to order the right parts. Your car may be equipped with either LF20 or LF30 power steering pump, and they use different high pressure hoses. You have to make sure which one to order.
The rest is just removing and installing hoses and PS reservoir. Bleeding the system is also extremely easy - just turn the steering wheel lock to lock while the engine idles and the air will escape through the power steering reservoir. The fluid is D4 ATF.
In addition to the special tool recommended by peytonracer4, you may want to order some adjustable hose clamps instead of the stock clamps.

These clamps worked for me:
Hose clamp L12-15, 07129952104
Hose clamp L16-30, 64218367179

this is the tool. i have one in my tool chest and can take a pic. the blue one is for the fuel lines.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 05-24-2014 at 02:11 AM.
peytonracer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:29 AM   #5
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
this is the tool. i have one in my tool chest and can take a pic. the blue one is for the fuel lines.
I have exactly the same tool for these power steering lines, but it is blue. It was awhile ago so I forgot where I got it from. Looks like this one and works exactly as described.

I don't have the smaller one for the fuel lines.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 05-24-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:38 AM   #6
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
I have exactly the same tool for these power steering lines, but it is blue. It was awhile ago so I forgot where I got it from. Looks like this one and works exactly as described.

I don't have the smaller one for the fuel lines.

Crazy. I've only ever seen it in red. Oh well the blue looks sweet. lol.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #7
jupiterntune

My Ride: Los Angeles
Thanks paytonracer4, megalocnus ... I'm getting that tool and took note of the clamps size, thanks guys ....
jupiterntune is offline   Reply With Quote