E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
323tom

My Ride: 2 turbo e46's
Need FCAB/Engine and Transmission mount suggestions

Hey guys so I know this isn't the right section for this but I know most higher hp guys lurk the FI section, anyway I currently have OEM m3 FCABS, I was told the treehouse ones are suppose to be a great upgrade? I have the HPF solid engine/tranny mounts and I cant stand them they have to be switched out. The entire car vibrates and feels like the wheels are going to fall off and trust me ive had the rims and tires checked/balanced twice lol there fine... I was told to go with a Derlin mount? Looking to get my trunk reinforced if anyone has pics or any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Powerflex are good FCAB's...I've got the vac solid mounts and it doesn't vibrate...I've heard AKG are a good bushing as well...lots of reviews on M3Forum.

Last edited by MachRc; 10-30-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: no need to draw in anybody
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
I love my PowerFlex FCAB. Still in AWESOME CONDITION! I am in need of Motor Mounts and Tranny Mounts as well...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
MarcusLSB

My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
I have solid mount everything.. (tranny, motor, diff, subframe, etc) .. I don't recall any vibrations that feel like out of balance wheels.. sure there is some vibration but nothing I can't tolerate.
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
323tom

Weird, well I changed the coil overs/camber plates,engine and tranny mounts,DSS axles and 1 piece drive shaft could it be the drive shaft? I believe it was custom made by SP or one of there affliate shops.. By 100 mph it feels shakey and unstable
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I have solid mount everything.. (tranny, motor, diff, subframe, etc) .. I don't recall any vibrations that feel like out of balance wheels.. sure there is some vibration but nothing I can't tolerate.

Last edited by 323tom; 10-31-2012 at 12:15 AM.
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Weird, well I changed the coil overs/camber plates,engine and tranny mounts,DSS axles and 1 piece drive shaft could it be the drive shaft? I believe it was custom made by SP or one of there affliate shops.. By 100 mph it feels shakey and unstable
Thats your drive shaft.. 100% confident.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
MarcusLSB

Well speed shouldn't matter so much as RPM.. but really only on the highway are you likely at above 3k or so for a consistent amount of time. I'd be interested to hear if you went say 4-5miles at a constant 3500rpm in say 3rd if the issue persisted. Solid motor/tranny mounts seem to cause more vibrations at lower rpm's/speeds from my experience.. once I'm on the highway the solid mounts aren't bothersome.. but driving around the street or at low rpms I can feel it subtly.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
MarcusLSB

Also, Driveshaft Shops earlier adapter plates (BMWPL-1) for their solid drive shafts were machined incorrectly. I had to have them send me a new one due to a VERY SLIGHT offset in the bolt holes that didn't line up properly with the adapter that mounts to the transmission.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
MarcusLSB

Old 10-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
MarcusLSB

I should also mention, you really don't need the solid one piece drive shaft unless your differential isn't being supported via an additional brace, or solid mounts... that shaft on the left has been launched on slicks many times at 10lbs+ boost and was straight as an arrow when I took it off.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
323tom

Thx for the posts Marcus I was leaning towards the solid engine/tranny mounts being the root of cause for my serious vibrations as everyone I spoke with told me it has to be them too, but I never mentioned I had a 1 piece drive shaft to any of those people as it slipped my mind till last night... I should still have my stock m3 drive shaft at SP... My diff is supported with SADD's diff brace, ill be switching to the os giken TCD diff over the cold season as well... I'm not sure if I have the early model DSS but I don't recall SP having any fitment issues

Last edited by 323tom; 10-31-2012 at 11:11 AM.
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Thx for the posts Marcus I was leaning towards the solid engine/tranny mounts being the root of cause for my serious vibrations as everyone I spoke with told me it has to be them too, but I never mentioned I had a 1 piece drive shaft to any of those people as it slipped my mind till last night... I should still have my stock m3 drive shaft at SP... My diff is supported with SADD's diff brace, ill be switching to the os giken TCD diff over the cold season as well... I'm not sure if I have the early model DSS but I don't recall SP having any fitment issues
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1713329

Good discussion over there regarding the DSS Driveshaft, including modifications they've made, and installation tips to reduce vibration.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
I remember some of your interior pieces vibrating... but like you say nothing like an unbalanced wheel or anything like that. I kinda liked the feel of the solid mounts.

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

Last edited by dallasberry; 10-31-2012 at 05:07 PM.
dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Some cars are better than others with the solid mounts. There may be other factors though. Something is causing the vibration. The solid mounts are only enabling you to hear and feel it.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #15
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
I remember some of your interior pieces vibrating... but like you say nothing like an unbalanced wheel or anything like that. I kinda liked the feel of the solid mounts.
Yeah, but thats been an issue since day one for me and my car. The biggest annoyance in my car is the bolster rubs slightly on the arm rest and makes a squeeky sound. So I have to lean over into the passenger seat and pump up the bolster to make it stop. Then it slowly deflates and comes back. That and I had a few other squeeks.. I've driven and ridden in Kentons car and his was much less noisey when compared to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
Some cars are better than others with the solid mounts. There may be other factors though. Something is causing the vibration. The solid mounts are only enabling you to hear and feel it.
This is also why I believe its likely the driveshaft, the rub mounts will isolate those vibrations and the noise, often times masking driveshaft and other driveline issues. Others have mentioned simply switching to poly from rubber oem tranny mounts will do the same (while still using the oem drive shaft).
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
Maybe AKG? From what I've read on other Forums, some Fellahs like these. Maybe look into yourself.

http://www.akgmotorsport.com/index.php
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #17
323tom

Thx for the link Marcus I read that bimmer forum thread and I'm almost positive its my drive shaft, I emailed Larry some of the info and pics off that thread too
Old 11-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #18
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Thx for the link Marcus I read that bimmer forum thread and I'm almost positive its my drive shaft, I emailed Larry some of the info and pics off that thread too
Depending on when you ordered your driveshaft you may want to contact Drive Shaft Shop and ask for the updated BMWPL-1 adapter plate. The previous ones they did (about 6-7mo ago) had a slight offset (were talking real small here) on the bolt holes that mount to the transmission flange. You'll know if you have this adapter plate if the bolts supplied with the adapter do not seat completely into the adapter. You'd (or SP) would know if this was the case right away, its pretty obvious.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #19
323tom

I don't have DSS drive shaft I have a custom one SP had made for me, I have DSS axles though...
Quote:
Depending on when you ordered your driveshaft you may want to contact Drive Shaft Shop and ask for the updated BMWPL-1 adapter plate. The previous ones they did (about 6-7mo ago) had a slight offset (were talking real small here) on the bolt holes that mount to the transmission flange. You'll know if you have this adapter plate if the bolts supplied with the adapter do not seat completely into the adapter. You'd (or SP) would know if this was the case right away, its pretty obvious.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #20
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
In the end, if you still want to get rid of the solid motor mounts, talk to bimmer world. They claim their motor mount is up to the task. I got theirs. many happy customers and testimonials I found the forums. I dont think anyone has ever torn or damaged them yet. Beefy, strong hard rubber AFIK.
Delrin is pretty close to solid. Poly I hear can melt.

I was told by one guy he heard PF FCABS were no good and would tear. I have beat on mine and love them. I have had them for ages. Go for PF yellows FCABS
I am sure AGK are fine too. So either or...