E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Sixblade

My Ride: 330ci
left door speakers dead

Hey guys,

Need a few pointers on where to look. I have seen some searching and it seems to typically boil down to the amp the bed.

Tuning everything to the front left zero output to the speaker, will get down and listen if I hear and static as well in the morning.

This is on an 01 330ci with the HK system.

Last edited by Sixblade; 09-25-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Sixblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Sixblade

update, no noise what so ever out of the door speakers.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
FreddyM3

My Ride: M3
I would love to hear how to fix this too. I have a 2006 M3 and all of my left speakers are out. They would come and go but are now completely out.
FreddyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Sixblade

I got a new amp I'll let you know if that corrects the issue
Old 10-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
FreddyM3

Great, thanks. Curious, were all of your left speakers out? All three of mine are, fronts and rear.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Sixblade

Just the door ones, I figure it is probably an amp issue since affects a whole region and not just a single speaker.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
hampal

My Ride: 2003 325i
I have an issue more like yours FreddyM3, but have either of you corrected your problems? My Left speakers cut on when I make Left turns but as soon as I come out of the turn, speakers go back out. Sometimes, if i hit a nice bump, they'll come on too but they always go right back out. Do non HK systems have an amp in the trunk?
hampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
FreddyM3

I have not fixed mine and don't really know where to start. I was hoping someone here might be able to lend a hand. Like I mentioned, mine would go in and out but they are completely out now. Didn't seem to matter hitting bumps or whatever, they would just come and go. Very frustrating.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Stuart

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
Based off my X5/M3 experience, I would suggest one of two things to check:
1) If it is a single speaker which has the problem, pull the door trim and check the soldered connections of the wires onto the speaker. Sometimes, these work loose and re-soldering fixes the issue.
2) If there is more than one speaker which has lost audio, it might very well be the radio module. This is the "Becker/BM54" unit which sits in the trunk, on the left hand side for my 3er. The E46 M3 has an identical unit, as well as BMW loudspeaker system - so when the channels 'disappeared' on the X5, I swapped the module between cars and the X5 all worked again. $160 later the amplifier was repaired using an online service here - which upgraded the audio.
I hope it's the first of these but general bad reputation on the Becker radio module is a concern.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
FreddyM3

I pulled my door trim off not too long after having bought my car (about 2.5 years ago) to fix a rattle in it caused by a bolt that had fallen into the door. Everything worked fine afterwards, but the problem arose about 6 months ago, and as I mentioned all speakers on the left side are out now.
Question: could one loose connection in the door speaker cause all of the left side to go out? I suspect not, but I am not sure.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
hampal

My Ride: 2003 325i
My whole left side is out so the radio module seems like the likely culprit, especially since another issue I'm having is that my radio doesn't come on until about 10 minutes after I start my car most times.
hampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:00 AM   #12
Stuart

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
For the HK system, I expect that the 10 speaker amp is the problem. It's in the left rear trim side. Difficult to diagnose faults, my supplying dealer told me.
For the non-HK system, look to the radio module, even if you have the BMW Loudspeaker system.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #13
Sixblade

I figured it would be the amp so I got a deal on one on ebay I will hopefully at least test it soon to see if that is the issue.