E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Qtonic

My Ride: M3
/// Avin Avant-2 Video Reviews

Hey everyone! I'm new here, so first of all let me say hi. I've learned a lot lurking on this forum, so I wanted to share my experience with the new Avant-2 head unit. I did that in video form since there's a lot to cover, but I'll definitely try to answer any questions you have. Also, I'll probably make some more videos as questions come up or to post updates, so let me know if you want a better look at something specific.

EDIT: I've decided to add all videos to this top post to keep them together.

(Watch full screen HD on Youtube for better details)

I hope they're helpful!

Last edited by Qtonic; 04-27-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Qtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
great review. extremely helpfull. I was sitting on fence but might pull the trigger soon.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Qtonic

I made a video checking out the Bluetooth functionality, both hands-free calling and audio streaming.

Check it out:
(the sound during the call is rain on the soft top)

[Moved video to top post]

Last edited by Qtonic; 04-24-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Updated the video link
Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
Great vids.
Could you also please post a video of the avant 2 unit connected to an ipod/iphone via USB cable and show the interface? I know you dont have an iphone but your friend does

questions:

1- Is usb tethering working with Iphone 5/5S ?
2- When iphone is connected via usb, how does the interface look like to browse music? do you get to browse by the same categories ie. Artist, album, song

3- Is there a music search functionality when connected to ipod/iphone via usb. ie. can you either scroll to artists/album/songs by alphabets like on the iphone itself? Or can you perhaps search for a song

Thanks. I would really appreciate any info on the above points. Those my key points that would me purchase this unit.
alirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Qtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alirz View Post
Great vids.
Could you also please post a video of the avant 2 unit connected to an ipod/iphone via USB cable and show the interface? I know you dont have an iphone but your friend does

questions:

1- Is usb tethering working with Iphone 5/5S ?
2- When iphone is connected via usb, how does the interface look like to browse music? do you get to browse by the same categories ie. Artist, album, song

3- Is there a music search functionality when connected to ipod/iphone via usb. ie. can you either scroll to artists/album/songs by alphabets like on the iphone itself? Or can you perhaps search for a song

Thanks. I would really appreciate any info on the above points. Those my key points that would me purchase this unit.
I'm glad the videos have helped you so far.

Unfortunately you've zeroed in on all the things I can't help with at the moment. Since I don't own an iphone I didn't hook up the cable to the unit, so even when a friend comes over I won't be able to test it out without taking it out of my dash.

I will say that I doubt usb tethering is working, because it doesn't currently work with android. I assume that's a pretty standard protocol, so I'm guessing that's a no-go for now with the iphone, too. Bummer for me as well.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Looks good, an hour of video

Too much for me to watch it all but If a person cant get a feel for how it works after that....

You cant USB tether an iphone. You can use your iphone's Wifi hotspot.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-21-2014 at 01:34 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
alirz

I had posted the question about usb tethering to Tommy also.

While he responded that currently there is a software bug due to which usb tethering is not working and will be fixed in a later software update.

Now im wondering, did he mean that it would be fixed to work with iphones too or just Android phones?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
alirz

@Jeff, While Qtonic reviewed several areas of the unit, as mentioned, my biggest requirement is music functionality working with a usb connected Ipod/Iphone so i'm trying to get a feel for how that works.
So far there haven't been any vids on youtube or anywhere else about that by anyone also. I currently have a Dice Media bridge which im looking to replace and add a lot more useful functionality on top of that, which the Avant 2 unit seems to provide. I didnt buy the dynavin unit uptil now just because I do not like Resistive touch screens.

My dice mediabridge and the silverline pro unit i've had in the past, connected via the 6 meter trunk interface cable, both have had a slight clicking (1HZ frequency chirpping sound) which apparently is due to some interference with Ibus..

4 questions then:

1- Does avant 2 has any interference during silent parts of music or when its turned on and simply not playing anything
2- Is there any discount going for these units now?
3- I see they show as IN STOCK on your site?
4- When you ship to Canada, i assume there will be customs/import charges to pay. Or somehow the unit is shipped from a canadian warehouse sort of thing to avoid that?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
alirz, email me: jeff@jandtdistributing.com I dont really want to push this thread too far off topic with sales related talk.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
Qtonic

Quote:
I had posted the question about usb tethering to Tommy also.

While he responded that currently there is a software bug due to which usb tethering is not working and will be fixed in a later software update.

Now im wondering, did he mean that it would be fixed to work with iphones too or just Android phones?
I'm not an iPhone expert, but I'll try to speculate.

First of all, as you probably know, tethering functionality has to do with your phone and plan first and foremost. Can you currently hook up your iphone to a computer and tether the internet? If so, then I think in the future when usb tethering is working, it *should* work with the iphone too I'd guess. If it cannot currently tether to a computer, then the Avant-2 isn't going to magically enable it.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
Qtonic

Quote:
@Jeff, While Qtonic reviewed several areas of the unit, as mentioned, my biggest requirement is music functionality working with a usb connected Ipod/Iphone so i'm trying to get a feel for how that works.
So far there haven't been any vids on youtube or anywhere else about that by anyone also. I currently have a Dice Media bridge which im looking to replace and add a lot more useful functionality on top of that, which the Avant 2 unit seems to provide. I didnt buy the dynavin unit uptil now just because I do not like Resistive touch screens.

My dice mediabridge and the silverline pro unit i've had in the past, connected via the 6 meter trunk interface cable, both have had a slight clicking (1HZ frequency chirpping sound) which apparently is due to some interference with Ibus..

4 questions then:

1- Does avant 2 has any interference during silent parts of music or when its turned on and simply not playing anything
2- Is there any discount going for these units now?
3- I see they show as IN STOCK on your site?
4- When you ship to Canada, i assume there will be customs/import charges to pay. Or somehow the unit is shipped from a canadian warehouse sort of thing to avoid that?

Thanks.
Any additional noise floor is well controlled during quiet parts, in my opinion. As I talked about in my troubleshooting video, I do get a little buzz when my interior lights are dimmed from their full strength. This can be heard in quiet parts, so I keep my lights up (or they're off during the day). Whether that will affect you since you have the navi and are running to the brain in the trunk, I can't say.

Can't help with the rest, but I doubt there will be any discount as the product is brand new.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
alirz

Well I don't have the oem navi. I have the standard business radio.
My current setup simply plugs into the cd changer controls in the trunk.

I'm not picky but I think some key features really need to work perfectly.

e.g the default music player should be able to read and have the music available with the structure based on mp3 ID3 tags.. Browsing based on folder structure is not the best way to handle music.

As for tethering an iphone, I can understand that not being supported at any point simply because apple is ahole at allowing access to their services. Even on a computer I think iphone tethering only works if you have itunes installed. If not, then it can possibly be supported by AVANT.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
alirz

@qtonic. If you can do one test for me please.

Have you seen a method of searching for a song among your folders?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
alirz

Ok so I saw a video of the iPod interface of the avant 1 unit. It see to have what I want.. If the interface is the same on avant 2 I.e 3 buttons to browse by artist , album or track then I'm sold!!!

Old 04-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
Qtonic

Quote:
Ok so I saw a video of the iPod interface of the avant 1 unit. It see to have what I want.. If the interface is the same on avant 2 I.e 3 buttons to browse by artist , album or track then I'm sold!!!

Are you going to be playing music from ipod/iphone or usb/micro sd card?

Edit:

I see now you said 'usb connected iphone/ipod'.

I'm not actually sure if you can connect iDevices to the usb ports, but it does include an iphone cable (old style -- I think it can be adapted) that plugs directly in to the back of the Avant.

As for usb or micro sd inputs, it reads the id3 tags but the sorting and playing is based on folder structure. It appears you can either view everything on there in one view or go by each deepest folder. In other words, if you have a folder of an artist and then multiple albums each in separate album folders beneath it, each of the album folders will show up independently in the view with all the folders. Hope that makes sense.

With that said, the ipod interface is likely very different, so you're probably good to go.

Last edited by Qtonic; 04-22-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:48 AM   #17
Qtonic

I made a new video that shows the CarLink feature of the Avant-2 for anyone interested.

Qtonic

Last edited by Qtonic; 04-24-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Updated video link
Old 04-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
alirz

Any difference if i purchase this from Avin's site or from J&T?

EDIT: Got my answer

Last edited by alirz; 04-23-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #19
Qtonic

There have been some questions about the USB and SD media card player. Hopefully this video helps explain how it works...

One thing I forgot to show is the seek function. You can touch or drag your finger anywhere along the progress slider to move around the current track. It's very fluid and responsive.

Last edited by Qtonic; 04-24-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Updated video link
Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #20
alirz

@Qtonic. Thank you again for the usb media demo.
Very imformatvie. I like your suggestion about using the righ knob as the scroll wheel.. However i saw video(link below) of the IPOD interface of Avant 1, and atleast in the ipod interface, the person scrolls with the right knob.

check at 42 second mark

if the ipod interface is even the same on the Avant 2 then thats ok for me.

Tags
avant, avant-2, avin, ee-be46, head unit