E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #101
mohan12

My Ride: '02 325
Steve- thank you so much for taking the time to diagnose this issue.

I pulled the fuses on the way to the airport and left them out for 4 days. Came back, ensured that they were working properly and plugged everything in. FINALLY back to working!

One question- How long does it take your PA-12 to switch over from TRXX to display text on a track? Maybe its because my setup was out for so long, but it seems longer now? I counted "8-mississippi" from TRXX to displaytext (with P-XX displayed in-between)

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Ahha! I think you have just debugged your problem!!! Well, narrowed it down to the 5A fuse or the connection to pin#5 (12V Acc) to the HU.

The HU will operate with the key in the off position or no key in the ignition at all BUT you will NOT get text from the PA12 when you do this.

I apologize - I should have though of this earlier.

I don't know why exactly, but the HU must ignore anything on the ibus when this happens, but it can still send commands to the PA12. btw Ė the Dice behaves the same way, so itís a car thing & not a feature of the PA12.

So, the 5A fuse could look fine but still be broken OR the fuse element may be making intermittent connections. Regardless, change it.

If that doesnít fix things then itís time to pull the HU and make sure power is getting to pin#5. If it is, check for a bent pin.

There is also a fuse on the back of the HU. I do not know what this is for or what it would do if pulled.

I believe you simply have a bad 5A fuse.

Yes, you will get a little bit of a spark when you plug the 30A fuse in. This is the constant 12V to the HU and the spark is due to the inrush current of power supply.
mohan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #102
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan12 View Post
Steve- thank you so much for taking the time to diagnose this issue.

I pulled the fuses on the way to the airport and left them out for 4 days. Came back, ensured that they were working properly and plugged everything in. FINALLY back to working!

One question- How long does it take your PA-12 to switch over from TRXX to display text on a track? Maybe its because my setup was out for so long, but it seems longer now? I counted "8-mississippi" from TRXX to displaytext (with P-XX displayed in-between)

Thanks again!
Did you replace the 5A fuse??

You will see the timing of my display if you watch my youtube video. Yes, it seems long when you first switch tracks.

I'm glad you are operational.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #103
fsfikke

My Ride: '03 320Ci
Thanks for the great writeup and review! I decided to buy a PA12-BMW for my new (to me ) 2003 320Ci, hoping it would have the wiring already installed. Unfortunately most German delivered cars don't.
From what I could find online most people say you need two cables:
61 12 9 410 959 Electric power cable 6-CD AI
61 12 0 137 317 Connecting line 4150 MM

Is it possible that the 61128374683 cable you mentioned only has the 10 pin to put in the HU and a 6 pin connector for the USA-Spec cable?

My car has a Business tape HU, of-course it would be a lot more convenient if I could put the PA12 in the glove box ans just run a short cable from the HU to there. Should it be possible to use the diagram Steve posted to create my own cable? I'm an Electrical Engineering student so I sould be capable of soldering some wires together
fsfikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #104
jason330i
moderation in all things

My Ride: 2002 330i
hello. not sure if this has been asked before and may be a dumb question.

the user's manual seems to indicate that if you put the USA-spec in "direct mode" you can play streaming music like pandora from your iphone.

do you need to connect the iphone audio out to the USA-spec aux input to do this? or will you get audio out from the iphone connector?

thanks,
jason

you sir, are a
jason330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #105
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330i View Post
hello. not sure if this has been asked before and may be a dumb question.

the user's manual seems to indicate that if you put the USA-spec in "direct mode" you can play streaming music like pandora from your iphone.

do you need to connect the iphone audio out to the USA-spec aux input to do this? or will you get audio out from the iphone connector?

thanks,
jason
Had to dig this one up but I new I saw it discussed before.

Please see this post on a different thread. It sounds like it works but you might want to send a PM.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...5#post11100675
Old 08-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #106
fsfikke

I tried it yesterday with Sirius XM and you don't need to connect the aux cable. It uses the audio out from the iPhone connector.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #107
jason330i
moderation in all things

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Had to dig this one up but I new I saw it discussed before.

Please see this post on a different thread. It sounds like it works but you might want to send a PM.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...5#post11100675
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsfikke View Post
I tried it yesterday with Sirius XM and you don't need to connect the aux cable. It uses the audio out from the iPhone connector.
thanks!

you sir, are a
jason330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #108
jjjimmyz34

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325xi
2001 325xi

I have been looking into the USA-Spec PA-12-BMW and was wondering if it would still work on my car. I have noticed on most of the pics and vids that there is 'mode' button that changes to the Ipod setting, on my Business CD HU it just has a 'CD' button in that location. I do have the changer wire in the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW3a.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	384102  
jjjimmyz34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #109
Washburn

My Ride: 2005 AW 330Ci ZHP
I am very thankful for all the recommendations on the USA SPEC. It's great - i installed mine a few days ago, and the sound quality is superb, and everything worked the 1st time as they should. It only cost me $125 shipped from an authorized source. I especially like how sturdy the hardware is - well built, and very good quality overall...
I wish it was black instead of white though...I want to have it a bit accessible in the cabin (to connect various music players and have access to the DIP switches) and not hard-mount and hide it - black would've been easier to hide...
....perhaps I can pain it black?

Last edited by Washburn; 11-18-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Washburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #110
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjimmyz34 View Post
I have been looking into the USA-Spec PA-12-BMW and was wondering if it would still work on my car. I have noticed on most of the pics and vids that there is 'mode' button that changes to the Ipod setting, on my Business CD HU it just has a 'CD' button in that location. I do have the changer wire in the trunk.
Yes, you will be fine.
With the older HU there is something about a double key press when using the HU buttons for changingn tracks OR playlists ... I can't remember the details off hand ... but the steering wheel buttons work with a single key press.

Last edited by steve.325i; 11-20-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #111
DADON4SHO

My Ride: SLOW E46
whats the differences between these two.
http://www.usaspec.com/vehicle_products.php
http://www.usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=18

this will be going on a Unit from a 2000 e46 323i
will there be special instructions since i have a holder model radio??
thanks !
Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #112
DADON4SHO

My Ride: SLOW E46
n e one?
Old 11-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #113
fsfikke

Your links don't work. Just get the PA12-BMW, should work.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #114
homerbrew

My Ride: 2005 325Ci Conv
It really depends on if he has DSP in his car or not. If he has DSP, then he needs the DSP version. I am guessing (since both links didn't work) that the other one was the DSP version.
homerbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #115
Washburn

I I have 2 queries about the USA spec:

1) what does the "RND" button / display do which can be seen in the last 2 pics below (SCROLL down please)?:

2) Will a Ipod mini 2nd generation work with the USA Spec? (crutchfield description says yes, but ipod Mini is not mentioned in the info on USA Spec website)

Last edited by Washburn; 11-20-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #116
homerbrew

My Ride: 2005 325Ci Conv
The RND stands for Random, it plays the songs in that Playlist in a random order. As far as the iPod mini, I would assume it should work. I can't say for sure, as I have only used my old 60G 3rd gen on it and it plays fine.
homerbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #117
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbrew View Post
It really depends on if he has DSP in his car or not. If he has DSP, then he needs the DSP version. I am guessing (since both links didn't work) that the other one was the DSP version.
The e46 does not require the DSP option.
Go with the standard PA12-BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
Will a Ipod mini 2nd generation work with the USA Spec? (crutchfield description says yes, but ipod Mini is not mentioned in the info on USA Spec website)
I do have an silver 4gig iPod mini that I can try. I'm not sure what generation it is ... how do I tell?

Last edited by steve.325i; 11-20-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #118
Washburn

Quote:
I do have an silver 4gig iPod mini that I can try. I'm not sure what generation it is ... how do I tell?
Please do try and let me know if it works. That'll be a big help.

how to tell the Gen version:

1) the Menu, rewind, forward, and play/pause buttons of the 2nd generation came in the same color as their casing, while on the 1st generation, all buttons were colored gray.
1st gen on left, 2nd gen on right:

2) the gigabyte capacity was engraved on the back on 2nd gen, where as on the 1st generation it was not.

(source: wikipedia)

Last edited by Washburn; 11-20-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #119
Washburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbrew View Post
The RND stands for Random, it plays the songs in that Playlist in a random order. .
Thanks ! I thought it should mean random, but I never thought the USAspec would actually do that! (This will make my wife happy)
Old 11-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #120
steve.325i

Quote:
Please do try and let me know if it works. That'll be a big help.

how to tell the Gen version:
1) the Menu, rewind, forward, and play/pause buttons of the 2nd generation came in the same color as their casing, while on the 1st generation, all buttons were colored gray.
1st gen on left, 2nd gen on right:

2) the gigabyte capacity was engraved on the back on 2nd gen, where as on the 1st generation it was not.
(source: wikipedia)
Confirmed - iPod mini Gen 2 works.
re # 1 - my mini is silver so the color of the MENU etc are still grey - lol.
re # 2 - yes, it has 4GB etched on the back.

Extra iPod info:

/Settings/About/Version = 1.4.1
/Settings/About/Model = M9800LL

I did notice that the song title and artist does not show on the iPod Display like it does with my iPod nano gen 3. It just Shows the BMW & the 'Ok to Disconnect'.

Quote:
Thanks ! I thought it should mean random, but I never thought the USAspec would actually do that! (This will make my wife happy)
A couple notes re: RND

1. RND is not 'sticky', meaning if you turn the HU (or the car) off & back on then the HU automativally clears the RND you have to hit it again. That means that the iPod looses the shuffle history & you may get tracks repeated.

2. RND effects the 'hold' behaviour of the << & >> keys (Olaf taught me this after I had it installed for more than six months):

RND off - holding the track keys FF's or RWD's 10 songs
RND on - holding the track keys FF's or RWD's 10 sec's in the current song.

Extra note: Tapping << or >> will advance one track or jump to the begining of the current sond regardless of the state of RND.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by steve.325i; 11-20-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: extra info