E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #161
filipinoise

My Ride: '02 325ci
So, after a good 3 or so hours, with the help of my little cousin I was able to wire my USA SPEC PA12-BMW through the rear driver's side firewall, under the rear seats, and to the glove box. I then took the sunglass holder out and drilled a hole into it, and that's there the iPod cable is! Looks quite stealthy when all is put away, and I'm loving it! My only issue, however, is the firmware of the PA12-BMW just so happens to be an OLDER version so while it is compatible with my iPhone 4 when it comes to playing music, it doesn't charge it as it should. The text display is also slightly different as the current version, so I'm pretty sure it's the firmware that's in need of a refresh. That's all on me, though, for purchasing used off of eBay. I've contacted USA Spec about this issue of mine and I'm really hoping that they'll help resolve it for me with minimal costs. Just slightly frustrated. I may even try and get the seller on eBay to give me a refund...

I take pictures in the San Francisco Bay Area.
www.eluisphoto.com

Last edited by filipinoise; 06-02-2012 at 06:38 PM.
filipinoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #162
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinoise View Post
I've contacted USA Spec about this issue of mine and I'm really hoping that they'll help resolve it for me with minimal costs. Just slightly frustrated. I may even try and get the seller on eBay to give me a refund...
Very sorry you got a unit with older firmware. From another member's post I beleive USA-Spec will upgrade you firmware for $75. A little expensive imo. I would suggest to try to get a refund from the ebay seller, but that means ripping out your routed cable. What a PIA!

Please see link for discussion about firmware update:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...7#post14208107
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #163
filipinoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Very sorry you got a unit with older firmware. From another member's post I beleive USA-Spec will upgrade you firmware for $75. A little expensive imo. I would suggest to try to get a refund from the ebay seller, but that means ripping out your routed cable. What a PIA!

Please see link for discussion about firmware update:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...7#post14208107
Thanks for that link. And yeah, I'm going to try and get a refund first, if not then I guess I'll just have to pay the price.. I'm going to fight for the refund though since the iPod cable is experiencing some connectivity issues as well. I'm hoping this seller isn't a pain to work with.

www.eluisphoto.com
Old 06-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #164
M3CDR

My Ride: M3
Thumbs Up Installation of USASPEC in 2006 M3 completed

I just finished the USASPEC installation in my M3, I really appreciated this thread and the very well written DIY. So far it works like a charm! Two things I wanted to share:

1- I routed cable thru the trunk, under the backseat, and straight to the center console. I wanted to be able to handle the phone comfortably from the driver's seat so I reverse engineered the cable placement from where I wanted the phone to sit to where the connection with the USASPEC hardware unit would happen. I then had several options behind the rear seat where it could be placed. This shorter route resulted in a bunch of extra primary cable which I tucked into the same void as the USASPEC unit behind the rear seat. I figure if I need to reset the unit I can access the CD changer plug in the trunk easily, but if I want to change dip switches I'll have to remove the backseat.

2- I have IOS 5.1.1 on my iPhone and the USASPEC unit I purchased new has worked flawlessly so far.

Thanks again for this terrific post!
M3CDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #165
Nugetchew

My Ride: 03' 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CDR View Post
I just finished the USASPEC installation in my M3, I really appreciated this thread and the very well written DIY. So far it works like a charm! Two things I wanted to share:

1- I routed cable thru the trunk, under the backseat, and straight to the center console. I wanted to be able to handle the phone comfortably from the driver's seat so I reverse engineered the cable placement from where I wanted the phone to sit to where the connection with the USASPEC hardware unit would happen. I then had several options behind the rear seat where it could be placed. This shorter route resulted in a bunch of extra primary cable which I tucked into the same void as the USASPEC unit behind the rear seat. I figure if I need to reset the unit I can access the CD changer plug in the trunk easily, but if I want to change dip switches I'll have to remove the backseat.

2- I have IOS 5.1.1 on my iPhone and the USASPEC unit I purchased new has worked flawlessly so far.

Thanks again for this terrific post!

Hey brother where did you buy your usaspec because i want to make sure i get the updated firmware.
Nugetchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #166
Bateau

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
The USA-Spec will fall short in this department for those that don't use Playlists at all and organize song playback by artist or album.
Thanks for many detailed DIY's delmarco. I wanted to clarify this comment from the original post. In direct mode, can I still use steering wheel controls to track up/down if I select artist/album from the iphone? My goal is to add iPhone integration to my E46 so I can mainly listen to internet radio apps - Pandora, Shoutcast, NPR - and to get turn-by-turn voice directions from Maps.
Bateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #167
akilism

My Ride: 325xit
just installed one of these last night in my 325xi wagon. Could not have been easier really. Less than 45min and I had everything connected and working, this is with pulling out the glovebox and stashing the usa spec box in there. iPhone 4s in direct mode with spotify playing and waze giving turn by turn directions. Steering wheel controls skip through spotify just fine but I don't get the track title on the HU. Though if I switch to disc 5 (all songs) and spotify is playing it will still play and give me the track title / artist on the HU but if i hit next or prev on the steering wheel it will switch to all songs. Weird but not a big deal at all.

Last edited by akilism; 10-17-2012 at 12:21 PM.
akilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #168
Reddirtranch

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Great thread, installing in my 03 325xi wagon tomorrow. I got the DSP version so I hope no issues.
Reddirtranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #169
Reddirtranch

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Installed, Didn't need the DSP, "mounted" the unit under the passenger seat.
Reddirtranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #170
filipinoise

I can confirm that the USA-Spec PA12-BMW works flawlessly with the iPhone 5 (running iOS 6) and Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter. Just got mine in today. In-text display works just as it should, direct mode, hybrid mode, and all playlist modes work perfectly.

www.eluisphoto.com
Old 10-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #171
MikeS123

My Ride: 2003 M3 Vert
I have a 2003.5 M3 vert with a stupid Kenwood single din radio. It does have HK. I found a business CD player that came out of a 2000 328i on the M3 forums. I have an iPhone 4. My car is wired for CD changer. Should I have any issues using this adapter? I'm assuming I would need to get the non DSP version, PA12BMW, correct?
MikeS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #172
filipinoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS123 View Post
I have a 2003.5 M3 vert with a stupid Kenwood single din radio. It does have HK. I found a business CD player that came out of a 2000 328i on the M3 forums. I have an iPhone 4. My car is wired for CD changer. Should I have any issues using this adapter? I'm assuming I would need to get the non DSP version, PA12BMW, correct?
Correct! Everything should go smoothly.

www.eluisphoto.com
Old 11-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #173
wvBimmer3Series

My Ride: '92 318ic, '01 325xi
Smile GREAT Thread!

This a really great thread that is much appreciated!

I think I'm sold on the USA-Spec & will probably be getting it from Crutchfield (more $) just because I would hope that it has the latest & greatest software for the iPod Touch 5g.

I had considered the Dice or Grom but the USA-Spec "sounds" just what I am looking for.

Thanks to all!
wvBimmer3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #174
Derek325

My Ride: 2001 325xi Touring
Installed mine the other night, works great but does anyone know if the scrolling track/artist info can be turned off? I would just like the clock on the radio screen sometimes.
Derek325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #175
wvBimmer3Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek325 View Post
Installed mine the other night, works great but does anyone know if the scrolling track/artist info can be turned off? I would just like the clock on the radio screen sometimes.
Just curious, did you disconnect the battery when installing or just make the connections without doing that?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #176
Derek325

My Ride: 2001 325xi Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvBimmer3Series View Post
Just curious, did you disconnect the battery when installing or just make the connections without doing that?
Just plugged it in without disconnecting the battery.
Derek325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #177
wvBimmer3Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek325 View Post
Just plugged it in without disconnecting the battery.
Thanks, I plan to be getting this soon.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #178
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinoise View Post
I can confirm that the USA-Spec PA12-BMW works flawlessly with the iPhone 5 (running iOS 6) and Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter. Just got mine in today. In-text display works just as it should, direct mode, hybrid mode, and all playlist modes work perfectly.
+1
Same here.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #179
wvBimmer3Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
+1
Same here.
Glad to hear, I'll be using the iPod Touch 5 with the adapter.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #180
project330ci

My Ride: steel grey 02 325ci
ok i need help, i tried the DF BMW and it didnt work. no sound. now, i said screw it ill try the PA12, plugged it in. same problem! no sound! can i get some help with this? 2002 bmw 325ci e46 business CD w/ prewire in the trunk.
project330ci is offline   Reply With Quote