E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Bimmer_J

My Ride: 325ci
Clutch Upgrade

So its time for a new clutch. I really am not happy with the POS SAC that comes factory in the E46s.
I have been searching hi and low trying to figure out the whole M5 Clutch
setup that I have seen on several places.

My Question is this

What exactly is needed to do the conversion, and can it be done with just OE Parts?

09/11/01 343 Never Forget
Bimmer_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
What's wrong with the stock clutch? You're not pushing high hp, so I really don't get it. I replaced my stock clutch with another stock clutch, no issues, and I've got quite a bit more power... What exactly do you expect to get out of an M5 clutch upgrade?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
People run the M5 clutch with a lightweight flywheel upgrade. UUC.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Bimmer_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
What's wrong with the stock clutch? You're not pushing high hp, so I really don't get it. I replaced my stock clutch with another stock clutch, no issues, and I've got quite a bit more power... What exactly do you expect to get out of an M5 clutch upgrade?
Whats not wrong with stock clutch? Are you kidding me? There is no constant point with it. Its extremely weak. It doesn't grab like it should. Its not really about my HP. I know enough to know that the stock 325 Clutch just doesn't work. Hence why I am trying to figure out alternatives to the stocker. On top of the fact that you may have more power there are some differences in the 330 clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
People run the M5 clutch with a lightweight flywheel upgrade. UUC.
Ok. So are there any Variations with that setup? Is it like a full OEM M5 clutch with a UUC flywheel or do they change some stuff to make it work in our cars? Also are there other types of clutches that will work? I am just trying to weigh all of my options here.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
khbiesfd

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
I was wondering the same things about this m5 clutch swap. Sounds interesting.
khbiesfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:21 AM   #6
95blkmax

My Ride: 00 BMW 328i
Send a message via AIM to 95blkmax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_J View Post
Whats not wrong with stock clutch? Are you kidding me? There is no constant point with it. Its extremely weak. It doesn't grab like it should. ...
That sounds like the dreaded self-adjusting clutch pressure plate (do 325s have this same PP that 330s come with? I've driven the 330s with that self-adjusting clutch and yea it's a PITA since the engagement point is forever moving, and it's worse as the clutch wears with time).

In the spirit of this thread, might I add another useful question here since I too will be changing my clutch soon... How much power can the M5 clutch setup handle?

Hi, my name is 95BlkMax, and I am a Boostaholic
"DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!!!" O_o!
95blkmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
///Orient3

My Ride: can't be defined
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
That sounds like the dreaded self-adjusting clutch pressure plate (do 325s have this same PP that 330s come with? I've driven the 330s with that self-adjusting clutch and yea it's a PITA since the engagement point is forever moving, and it's worse as the clutch wears with time).

In the spirit of this thread, might I add another useful question here since I too will be changing my clutch soon... How much power can the M5 clutch setup handle?
You have it backwards, the engagement point is constant with the SAC. Think about it, it self adjusts as opposed to a standard clutch with which the engagement point changes as the clutch wears. That said, I think what you are referring to is the fact that the feel isn't the same as a standard clutch.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #8
khbiesfd

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
yeah i have driven a 350z and the clutch and shifter felt so much better
khbiesfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #9
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
I've got the UUC 8.5 Flyw. & M5 clutch w/ performance disc. It's give or take 400 HP, if
I'm remembering correctly/pretty sure.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #10
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
I have 190k miles on my original pos sachs clutch. It only slips briefly on power shifts, and shudders a little on low rev(barely 1k rpm) move offs.

It would be nice to upgrade but for the money and my basic bolt ons its not worth it.
I still explored this upgrade thing tho, to see if I could do some mixing and matching. I've been told the E36 clutch is interchangeablen but compared to under $300 for a full sachs oe kit for our car, and a sachs oe e36 M3, it suddenly got expensive quick.

I'll be sticking another fine oem sachs clutch in there. It would be nice to get a slightly lighter flywheel, but I can't justify the price. Not without a boosted motor. I can think of several other ways to piss that kind of money away
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
As for the SAC, I've never had a failure since 2004. For a period of time, the adjuster ring was made of plastic. I think that the PP changed to a steel adjuster ring around 2003. From there, the PP is pretty stout.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
As for the SAC, I've never had a failure since 2004. For a period of time, the adjuster ring was made of plastic. I think that the PP changed to a steel adjuster ring around 2003. From there, the PP is pretty stout.
My new stock clutch "feels better" and has been far more consistent than the factory original clutch ever was. I'm guessing this is due to the updated adjuster ring.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
Bimmer_J

My car is an 03 but idk. My previous car was a an 88 528e/i and the clutch feel was amazing compared to what it has been since I purchased the car. My brother has an 03 330ci and its got a bit of a difference in the feel of the clutch but he has the same problem Im having when even in power shifting it just slips. So im just thinking thats there's gotta be some different option to the stock clutch.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #14
SlipSand

My Ride: 328Ci
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/specials.htm
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/index.htm

Everything you need to know is on there.
Click on this --> 330/328/325/323 - 5 SPEED
Read everything down there. Should be a simple bolt on.

Info:

UUC customers have been using the Stage 2 & M5 clutch setup in turbo or supercharged E36 M3s and MZ3s with fantastic results. Our own testing has shown the M5 clutch to reliably handle in excess of 450hp.

Maintaining the reliability and over-the-counter availability of a BMW factory part.
Greater clamping force than standard 3-series clutch.
Elimination of the SAC mechanism.
Incorporates a sprung-hub design for quiet operation with a heavy-duty steel pressure plate

Technical features:

applications:
330 5-speed, 328, 325, 323 (all i, Ci, iT variants) E46 6-cylinder models with 5-speed transmission (1999-2004).
530i, 528i, 525i E39 5-series (1996-2003)
Z3 3.0i
models with manual transmission only.

construction:
CNC machined 6061-T6 aluminum

dowel pin hole:
enlarged like factory-fit.

friction plate:
replaceable, 1050 steel.

balancing:
11,000rpm and spin-burst tested to 14,000rpm. SFI CERTIFIED

weight:
8.5 lb

pressure plate,
throwout bearing
& clutch used:
'91 - '93 E34 M5 parts required.
BMW part # 21 21 2 226 428 (complete clutch kit)

source:
Made in USA

Available clutch components:

- OEM BMW M5 clutch kit
- UUC "Performance Organic"
- UUC "UltraSmooth CeraMetallic" (extreme power/ drag racing)
- UUC "Multi-Puck Ceramic" (extreme power / frequent drag racing)

click here for current pricing on these complete kits

All kits come complete with Stage 2 flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, and throwout bearing.

Professional installation recommended.