E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
pstrizz

My Ride: '02 325i 5psd. sport
please explain Toe settings

I had my alignment done recently and they said they couldn't get the rear passenger toe within spec, and that they put it as close to within alignment as they could, but from what I can tell they made it worse that It had been. I don't understand why they couldn't at least leave it the way it was... Someone who knows this stuff please chime in!

I've read that this-> /-\ is toe in and this -> \-/ is toe out. but I keep finding contradicting info on which is negative and which is positive??! Could someone please put my mind to rest as to what is correct and maybe do a quick ms paint diagram to show how mine looks and how to calculate the total toe. PLEASE!

Left Rear: Toe
Actual: 1.1mm
Before: 1.5mm
Range: 1.1mm to 2.3mm

Right Rear: Toe
Actual: -4.6mm
Before: -4.0mm
Range 1.1mm to 2.3mm

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Chad e46

My Ride: 99 323
Old 03-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
edit
Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
pstrizz

thank god, it all makes sense now! lol
Old 03-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
Take it to a different shop? This is something that is hard to DIY without the proper equipment.

Odds are the rear suspension elements are worn out and they adjusted it fully to 1 direction. Your probably looking at a very expensive bill to replace all of those components to make it right.

I would reccomend you take it to another shop, and have them tell you what parts you would need replaced. Then go buy those parts yourself and install them.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
pstrizz

I'm already looking into it... I know two mechanics that might be able to help me, but until I can get a hold of them I was hoping to at least know what I'm looking at
Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
ode2joy

My Ride: is waiting
good one Chad, is that toe in or toe out?

Seriously, i've been meaning to find out the same stuff. Have you tried googling automotive alignment? Maybe there's a WIKI page out there explaining what's going on. Of course, that wouldn't be BMW specific, but it might help you understand it better.
ode2joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Although I don't know for sure, I'm going to make an educated guess that toe in is with the toes in...that toe out (or a negative number) means that the toe is out.

Usually, these things make sense even when you don't know what you're talking about like me!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Lestat_

My Ride: E46 318ci M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Although I don't know for sure, I'm going to make an educated guess that toe in is with the toes in...that toe out (or a negative number) means that the toe is out.

Usually, these things make sense even when you don't know what you're talking about like me!

Doug
that's one for the manual lol
Lestat_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Lestat_

toe in is when the wheels are pointing inwards. I have the fronts set at 2.0mm toe in for each wheel. Is stabilizes the car at speed. You would call that negative toe, but in fact the toe setting doesn't have a negative value as it's been simply referred to as 'toe in' and 'toe out'.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
pstrizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestat103 View Post
toe in is when the wheels are pointing inwards. I have the fronts set at 2.0mm toe in for each wheel. Is stabilizes the car at speed. You would call that negative toe, but in fact the toe setting doesn't have a negative value as it's been simply referred to as 'toe in' and 'toe out'.
so toe in is referred to as negative toe, but is in fact positive values?
Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550

Stand up, and look at your feet. Make sure they're both pointing straight ahead, parallel heel-to-toe. That's zero toe. If it were your car... Front wheels are tracking perfectly straight.

Toe in, as inferred above, is your toes pointing slightly inwards as you pivot from your heels. If it were your car, that means the front wheels are pointing slightly inwards, and this condition can help with straight-ahead tracking with some suspension set-ups. As long as the toe-in is not very pronounced, that is; otherwise you'd be chewing up expensive rubber continuously.

Toe out is the opposite, toes pointing slightly out as you pivot from your heels, like pigeons walk ("pigeon-toed" refers to this condition). In my experience, making the front tires toe out like this can make a car skittish, again depending on the suspension. And again, not good for tires.

Notice I have specifically only mentioned front tires. Rear tires should ideally have zero toe. Some cars have the capability of adjusting the rear tires for modest toe in or toe out, although most are set at the factory with the zero toe setting, and adjusting it can involve replacement of suspension parts. Some cars have one side adjustable, not both, so minor corrections can be made to account for accident damage, poor assembly, or some other situation. Used to be, 25-30 years ago, in the bad old days, you'd see some cars "crabbing" along, rear end slightly to one side or the other of the front end. That would be a sign the rear toe was seriously messed up. Don't see much of that anymore, what with robotic assembly the way of the world.

Talk to an alignment shop that knows our cars, that knows our cars should be aligned with the weight of the driver on the front seat (yes, our cars are that adjustable), and that knows that any car can be correctly aligned if... if... you're willing to spend money if parts need replacement in a worst-case scenario. I'm willing to bet, though, they're just doing just enough to get by, and are trying to blow you off instead of giving you intelligent answers. Good luck!
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Lestat_

it's all positive values as long as you mention if it's toe 'IN' or 'OUT'.

Negative means 'IN', as in 2.0mm negative toe. It is redundant to say -2.0mm negative toe. Hope that's a bit more clear for you.

To conclude, your chart should say:

Left rear: TOE IN
Right rear: TOE IN

... and all positive values and by the way, those values are for each wheel, not total.

Last edited by Lestat_; 03-14-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #14
pstrizz

thank you lestat103. It finally all makes so much more sense now!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
I would inspect the RTABs first and then for any bent control arms.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote