E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
BuckwheatOne

My Ride: '02 330Ci
New Oil Separator Q: Wire Harness Box

Hey everyone,

In doing the OS DIY, I can't get the wire harness box out of the way. All the wires going into the box aren't held on by any fasteners (they're just going entirely into the box itself) and in order to move the box out of the way, I have to disconnect a ton of wires (that actually have fasteners) that aren't exactly easy to get to (which doesn't seem in line with all of the DIYs out there).

If it matters my 330Ci was built in July 2002, so it's possible things could be different with the wire harness box.

Sorry this post is for those people who have probably completed this DIY already.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

BW
BuckwheatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
carl111

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
if you remove the oil dipstick tube, then you can pull that whole box out of the way. there are 2 torx screws holding it to the intake manifold
carl111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
BuckwheatOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl111 View Post
if you remove the oil dipstick tube, then you can pull that whole box out of the way. there are 2 torx screws holding it to the intake manifold
Yeah, I actually have EVERYTHING out of the way (dipstick guide tube is out, so is DISA, ICV, throttle body) except this box. There are literally too many connections coming out of it and I can't disconnect them all.

I'll see if I can get a pic and show you. Even the wire harness box in the Bentley manual doesn't look the same....
Old 02-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
carl111

you dont actually remove the box. you just pull it over towards the drivers fender. if you go on youtube there are videos of the entire process. actually here you go:

thats the first of like 3 videos. the others come up at the bottom of the screen at the end of the video. hope this helps
Old 02-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
BuckwheatOne

Alright, some pics of what my wire harness box looks like. It seems to be longer than most with just a TON of connections coming out of it.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to remove the intake, but oh well.

If you have an M54 engine with the following wire harness box and you've found a convenient way to move this thing out of the way, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1245.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	348480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1246.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	348481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1247.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	348482  
Old 02-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
BuckwheatOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckwheatOne View Post
Alright, some pics of what my wire harness box looks like. It seems to be longer than most with just a TON of connections coming out of it.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to remove the intake, but oh well.

If you have an M54 engine with the following wire harness box and you've found a convenient way to move this thing out of the way, let me know.
I'm just dealing with the extremely limited space, and have the OS out, about to put the new (cold-weather) one in...

Thanks for trying to help me out ... I'm just dumb sometimes
Old 02-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
carl111

well its def. a PITA to get it out of there, but nothing a few beers and a good bit of time cant accomplish hehe. good luck