E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #21
khbiesfd

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Has anyone ever heard an Aero Turbine muffler on our cars? They sound great on almost every car they go on. Youtube it
khbiesfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #22
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
Don't get butt hurt and cry please. I actually am just saying this shit to see you cry like a little girl hahaha its funny please continue!
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #23
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllSupra View Post
Don't get butt hurt and cry please. I actually am just saying this shit to see you cry like a little girl hahaha its funny please continue!
So I just made you look like an idiot, and this is how you apologize?
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #24
B33MER

My Ride: 330i SMG M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Just so you know I'm not full of shit, I DARE you to find an exhaust on any E36 M3 that makes more than 5whp. It doesn't happen, because they all have the same basic design: Dual pipes from the collector with no merger, or a merger that is to far down stream:

Here is a dyno of AA's full 3" single exhaust on an M3

Here is another:
http://image.eurotuner.com/f/2676209...project+hp.jpg

We can infer that if an M3, with a supposedly better tuned exhaust system benefits from a single pipe system, shouldn't a Non M? Well yes, and it has little to do with 3" exhaust pipes:

First we have to realize that Y pipe is a merger that actually promotes savaging (you know, that thing that people confise with backpressure all the time) scavenging is good, because it helps pull the spent exhaust gasess out of the car.

Read what Tony of Motordyne has to say:

"For any system "Y-back" you can't have too large of tubing. There is no compromise of TQ by going larger and larger. With one exception, the only thing a Y-back can do is "potentially" reduce HP if there is excessive back pressure. The one exception would be a diffuser or megaphone which can reduce pressure drop below that of an open pipe.

TQ is determined by the diameter of tubing upstream of the end of the Y-pipe. So in other words, TQ is determined by the Y-pipe primary diameters and a few inches past the merge collector."

In other words, all the power is made at the Y pipe, and a few inches afterwards. It doesn't matter the pipe of the muffler you use (so long as it doesn't increase backpressure)
So would an HKS exhaust would be the best set-up aftermarket exhaust for non-m E46 since it utilises a Y pipe and merge it into a single pipe?

CF Roundels all around, Black grillz, 7000k Angel eyes,6300k HID fog lights, Hamman Lip reps, ACS roof spoiler reps, Alutech front and rear struts, BMC CDA with DIY heatshield, Pro RS braided brake line, ///M Billet Oil Cap, OEM ///M mats, ///M aluminium pedals,

B33MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #25
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by khbiesfd View Post
Whoa! No need to get defensive! I never said you were full of shit. I was just asking a simply question, so cool it. And thanks for your insight. Can you post a video of how it would sound?

With a race muffler, seems pretty loud to me. And believe me when I say I'm not upset with you in the least.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #26
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33MER View Post
So would an HKS exhaust would be the best set-up aftermarket exhaust for non-m E46 since it utilises a Y pipe and merge it into a single pipe?

I'm not to familiar with that exhaust to be honest, but you do want the exhaust merger to be as close to the headers as possible (so I was told by Burns)
Old 02-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #27
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP/VW Jetta
just go with what you think sounds the best. Headers will add gains.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #28
Anub!s

My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
remus.

+140hp
Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #29
B33MER

Quote:
I'm not to familiar with that exhaust to be honest, but you do want the exhaust merger to be as close to the headers as possible (so I was told by Burns)
Thanks for the info ... Even bimmerworld is using Y pipe configuration into a single pipe for their race cars. So a single exhaust setup is the way to go when it comes to performance.

a quote from bimmerowrld:
"The HKS system uses dual resonators for a clean sound with no backpressure increase, and merges the exhaust into a single pipe (similar to the design of our race exhausts) for increased scavenging and balanced pipe pressures."
CF Roundels all around, Black grillz, 7000k Angel eyes,6300k HID fog lights, Hamman Lip reps, ACS roof spoiler reps, Alutech front and rear struts, BMC CDA with DIY heatshield, Pro RS braided brake line, ///M Billet Oil Cap, OEM ///M mats, ///M aluminium pedals,

Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #30
Iceman00

Quote:
Thanks for the info ... Even bimmerworld is using Y pipe configuration into a single pipe for their race cars. So a single exhaust setup is the way to go when it comes to performance.

a quote from bimmerowrld:
"The HKS system uses dual resonators for a clean sound with no backpressure increase, and merges the exhaust into a single pipe (similar to the design of our race exhausts) for increased scavenging and balanced pipe pressures."
No problem, just ignore the rest of the pretenders in here. They'll swallow whatever any vendor feeds them.

One note though, the Y pipe is one of the most important parts (if not THE) so having a good one is crucial.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #31
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
get ebay headers for 150 bucks and keep thestock exhaust on... youll get more power than just putting on a cat back.... it wont be loud at all until your at WOT

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:16 PM   #32
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustangguy View Post
Ohh btw you will not gain much of anything on a stock car with ANY exhaust. Mostly they will only be for sound quality and in some cases if you lose too much back pressure on a non turbo-charged car you can actually lose some power. But once again you are looking under 10 horse or so so its not really anything noticable. If you are replacing looking for hp gains you will be dissappointed and would probably get better gain say doing a tune up with new plugs and o2's and air filter. Now if you had say a turbo on your car exhaust could give a nice gain by reducing backpressure allowing it to spool faster moving your power band down lower in the rpm band.
omg how many people actually think this is true
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:07 AM   #33
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
Actually 98mustangguy has a point; typically as you increase the diameter of the exhaust pipe you will lose exhaust velocity (and hence hp/torque) at low RPMS, though you *may* gain at high. It's a trade-off. This is why ferrari has variable exhaust systems which work similar to our DISA valves.

Secondly, I would call into question the accuracy of any dyno that suggests otherwise. Headers can make a difference because they streamline the flow of air and reduce turbulence, and if they are wrapped they decrease engine bay temperature which further increases efficiency.

It's the sheer science of it and anyone that thinks otherwise is probably getting scammed.
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.

Last edited by viceversa; 02-16-2010 at 04:13 AM.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #34
B33MER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci00782 View Post
Actually 98mustangguy has a point; typically as you increase the diameter of the exhaust pipe you will lose exhaust velocity (and hence hp/torque) at low RPMS, though you *may* gain at high. It's a trade-off. This is why ferrari has variable exhaust systems which work similar to our DISA valves.

Secondly, I would call into question the accuracy of any dyno that suggests otherwise. Headers can make a difference because they streamline the flow of air and reduce turbulence, and if they are wrapped they decrease engine bay temperature which further increases efficiency.

It's the sheer science of it and anyone that thinks otherwise is probably getting scammed.
Good lord ...

Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #35
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
lol don't wrap your headers save yourself that part heh.. ebay headers Y pipe back to a single nothing else to say an engine is just a giant air pump the more air you can push through it with the least amount of resistance and friction the more power your gonna make it's simple more air in more air out = more hp and if you really wanna save some money design your own exhaust hit up a muffler shop and bam you saved your pocket lots of money to spend on.. header wrap or what have you another thing you can do is buy a Y pipe from an exhaust company and you can modify it to bolt up to your headers
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #36
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Good lord ...
OK, you care to follow up all that e-laughter with some substance? I'm all ears.
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #37
khbiesfd

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Quote:

With a race muffler, seems pretty loud to me. And believe me when I say I'm not upset with you in the least.
So the aero turbine's are race mufflers?
khbiesfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #38
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by khbiesfd View Post
So the aero turbine's are race mufflers?
No idea, that is just a 3inch single on a 3er for reference.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #39
B33MER

Quote:

Quote:
OK, you care to follow up all that e-laughter with some substance? I'm all ears.
Ok here's the thing ... You're implying that Ferrari develop a variable exhaust system because of performance consideration when in actual fact it's mainly because to decrease decibel noises. That's all to it and not because of performance consideration that you're trying to imply. Now maybe what you actually meant is the Ferrari exhaust valve in the engine and NOT the exhaust system

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...orsepower.html

Last edited by B33MER; 02-17-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #40
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
exactly just like on our cars have a valve in the exhaust that is closed during idle and up to a certain point only to reduce exhaust noise in the cabin. does nothing for performance lol
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote